DTX-Multi 12: Avoid machine gunning with layers?

Covers all of the Yamaha DTX range of electronic drums

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Germany
AndreAlfes

DTX-Multi 12: Avoid machine gunning with layers?

Unread post by AndreAlfes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Hello everybody,

I am a newbie to e-drums so please take that into consideration if I ask anything obvious or stupid.

Playing the same voice (e.g. a specific snare drum sound) in fast repetition (with the same velocity) results in a machine-gun linke sound effect. In order to prevent that, my Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 provides for two different versions of e.g. the same snare drum sound (at least in its "additional kits package"), which can be played alternately - making use of the "layer" function - when (consecutively) hitting the same pad.

My question: Has anyone experience on how to modify a specific voice (e.g. snare drum) to make it sound slightly different (e.g. higher pitch) than the original version of the voice but still not too different, so that I can use the original voice and the modified voice as alternating "layered" voices and thus avoiding the machine gun effect?

Thanks for your help,
André
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DTX-Multi 12: Avoid machine gunning with layers?

Unread post by Saul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi André and welcome to the forums :)

I don't know much about drums but I am surprised that you would get a machine-gun like effect playing fast repetition with the same velocity. I would have thought the Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 would provide almost the same experience as playing an acoustic drum set, at least in terms of sounds.

Have you come across any youtube examples of this that we could take a look at?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Germany
AndreAlfes

Unread post by AndreAlfes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:25 pm

The sounds themselves are great, but even a great sound looses its greatness (above all its naturalness) when played exactly (=100%) in the same way over and over again (e.g. acoustic drums differ with every stroke you make and are never 100% identical).
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 pm

@Andre . . . .

I'm supposing you want to create a "drum-roll" on the snare?

The machine-gun effect you describe was often emitted by some drum machines when you press-and-hold

the snare button down . . . . . a stream of equal-velocity hits . . .

I'm not a drummer either . . . I "play" my drum tracks in manually on a keyboard, or use "suitable"

stock patterns.

Much improvement can be achieved by varying the velocity of consecutive strikes, but I don't think this

is possible inside the DTX . . . . It would be far easier in the midi editor of a DAW . . . .

Likewise, "Humanise" or "Swing" aspects of QUANTISING may also help, but I don't think there is much

support for this inside the DTX . . .

Key Switching is another possibility if you are wanting to trigger different samples with the same drum-head,

but there is no mention of this possibility in the Manual (that I could find) . . .

e.g. Velocities <64 would trigger snare 1, velocities >64 would trigger snare 2 . . . . . IYSWIM?

perhaps some of this helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Germany
AndreAlfes

Unread post by AndreAlfes » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:43 am

Hello Parametric,

varying the velocity of consecutive strikes is an option which I will definitely explore. However, even when hitting with (almost) the same velocity I would like the sounds to be slightly different. And I think the "layering" function will help.

Would you be so kind and introduce a nebwie to the meaning of: " "Humanise" or "Swing" aspects of QUANTISING"?

Thanks, André
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:56 pm

No Problem Andre . . . .

Both these terms relate to a midi pattern or part that you may view (and hopefully) edit inside

your instrument or DAW . . .

"Humanise" is really what the name suggests. It takes the rigid rhythmic structure of a sequence or

pattern "as played", and moves some of the notes a small amount to make it sound "looser"

(less like a robot played it) :lol:

Usually, there are sliders that can be moved to vary the amount to your taste . . . . .

"Swing" is somewhat similar, and the amount can also be controlled by you . . . . but in this case,

only certain notes are moved, to create a "suggested" rhythm that is different to what was played.

Usually, it alters the position of the STRONG beat (i.e the first beat in the bar) to imply a different

"feel" to the sequence or pattern.

These options are usually bundled with a feature called "QUANTISATION" . . . .

Perhaps this helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Germany
AndreAlfes

Unread post by AndreAlfes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Yes, Parametric,

this helps.

And it sounds like an idea that should be used not only for the rhythm, but also for the sounds of a drum. Perhaps there should exist a method to make attack, decay, pitch, etc. vary by a certain percentage every time you hit the pad. That would be what I am looking for.

Again, thank you so much!

André

Return to “Yamaha Electronic Drums”