A Silly Noob question choosing Stage Custom Birch Kit...

Covers the entire Yamaha acoustic drum range

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

YamsforBreakfast
Location.: Canada

A Silly Noob question choosing Stage Custom Birch Kit...

Unread post by YamsforBreakfast »

Not sure if anyone will read this as there doesn't seem to be much action in this forum. I'm getting a new Stage Custom Birch kit for my birthday. I am a complete noob and know nothing about drums. I will be playing in my basement, in a room the size of a bedroom. It has thin carpet and drywall. I'll most likely be playing mostly rock and pop general stuff. Don't think I have a career in jazz drumming! I won't be doing my world tour (yet) and drums willb e just played in basement room as a hobby. I thought it would be fun to do some home recording of music, so I'llb e recrding them (eventually).
Basically, should I get 20' or 22"? Will I be able to tell the difference? Especially in a small space and not on stage?
Thanks

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: A Silly Noob question choosing Stage Custom Birch Kit...

Unread post by Saul »

Interesting question and you are right, there definitely isn't much going on in this section of the forum. Probably because most people here either play the drums on their keyboard or use samples/drum synths.

Having said that, from what little I know of acoustic drums there isn't really much in it between a 20" and 22", the latter being more popular. Some prefer a 20" simply because of the size. You can pull things closer together which I guess could be handy on a stage with limited space.

Did you consider going electronic or do you just prefer the look and feel of acoustic drums?

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
YamsforBreakfast
Location.: Canada

Unread post by YamsforBreakfast »

Hi Saul,
Thanks for the reply. I really would only do electroninc in addition to later on, I prefer the look and acoustic-ness of well, acoustic drums.
Thanks for your input, generally I've been reading that 22" are just louder and better suited for loud rock, but since it is just me in my basement I think 20" should be fine, I am guessing, and I'll just slightly less bass and a more punchier sound.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Hi YamsforBreakfast . . . .

Yeah, sorry there's not much going on at the moment, but it's nice to have you in here . . . .

I think Saul's point is well made - I don't think I'd be able to notice the difference between 20" and 22", but then I'm not a drummer :wink:

Many moons ago when I was in a band - I DID try the drummer's kit once, and although I have a good sense of rhythm . . . .

I was totally crap on a drumkit. It's a skill I just don't have - so, if I need them, I play them in on a keyboard . . . :oops:

As you are starting out Fresh - I wouldn't rule out getting a few basic lessons from a teacher at a local college or wherever

to get you started RIGHT - then - see how you go . . . . ?

Let us know how you get on . . . (Y)

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
puremusic
Location.: USA

Unread post by puremusic »

I looked up that kit, sure looks nice!

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

It is an incredibly nice looking kit :)

https://amzn.to/2XRBK7o
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch.png
Maybe buy the 22" and pad it out to reduce volume if that is an issue? Gives you more versatility for the future?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.