Sounds and documents for the Yamaha EX5 & EX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Read this BEFORE Uploading any EX5 Sounds

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:33 am

I have just been informed that many of the sounds that were on the EX5tech.com site, although free did have distribution restrictions attached to them.

Out of respect to EX5tech.com and it's members please do not upload any files sourced from that site here unless you first get permission from the creators of those sounds. If in doubt please post here first to check BEFORE uploading anything.

Thanks
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Read this BEFORE Uploading any EX5 Sounds

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Its a valid point Saul . . .

The corporates we seek to engage with will not want to be associated with an organisation that's shown to be doing "Naughty Things" . . .

Doing it right is not so hard . . .

If your remember I managed to find and contact Richard Goodwin about his "Wave-to for Windows" Program, to check it was ok to host it here.

He happily agreed subject to a © notice being included in the .zip file - and was quite surprised there was still interest in the program . . .

So WE can host the program AND have a warm (cuddly) feeling, knowing we've been seen to "do it right" 8)

[EDIT - it was actually <db7> and I who did the legwork on this. <db7> is no longer a member here, but Richard Goodwin is . . . . . . <AudioMorphology>.

His initial post is here which contains much about the program's inception . . . .

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6109&p=32374&e=32374#p32591

And a subsequent one (granting permission to host) viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6109&start=15#p32596

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by jima » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks, Saul, for doing it right. I have to disagree with para somewhat, though, I have found that sometimes doing right is darned hard as we learned time and again on EX5Tech being tempted over and over to sanction uploads and distribution of all sorts of copyright material whose owners we were sure had no real current interest but were, well, the owners of the IP and either weren't contactable or weren't interested.

It would be premature to promise too much at the moment but Derek is contacting EX5Tech's owner to request sanction for a 'placeholder' location for EX5Tech files pending a resolution to the current site difficulties. Clearly there will be some IP obstacles to overcome but we will post here as and when any progress is made.

We would both ask that those hungry for EX5/5R/7 patches bear with us a little longer rather than upload a flurry of patches garnered from who knows where as that would likely hinder rather than help our plan.
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm

I agree with Jim and as mentioned before, anybody hungry for EX5 patches can sate their appetite over at www.marce-music.com which is a source of MarcE's excellent patches and a wealth of EX5 made music. There's at least half a dozen patch collections over there. Also some great MarcE AN1x patches (don't forget those, yourself, Jim! :) ).

Jim is also correct about copyright and treading with care if it is a grey area. E.g Ski in the early days got hauled over the coals by Yamaha for posting a PDF copy of a CS15 or CS30 blank patch chart from an 80's manual. Likewise when we requested permission to host the binaries for the ROMS, or, prior to that to offer a not for profit programming service, the answer until very late in the day (when Yamaha could no longer offer a ROM upgrade service was a resolute NO, but it did result in a process where Yamaha UK ensured that people could still get the upgrade for as long as they could support it. Now you may choose to disagree with all of that, but Ski's policy was one where we clearly had to have permission to host anything with a copyright on it. I have seen my free copy (until licensed) being sold as part of an eBay distribution. That is plain wrong, but these leechers pray on people being none the wiser, or justify it as a paid for distribution work, having done all of the hard work to gather these free sources.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 pm

It's like trying to hold back the sea although I agree we can at least do our bit. I was looking on Ebay the other day as I was having a clearcut and putting some things up for sale. One of things I found was a copy of the Adobe CS2 user guide. It was factory sealed as I had never used is so was checking on prices and came across a whole swathe of "apparently" legitimate copies of CS2, CS3 and so on plus of course Photoshop, Illustrator etc. Also copies of OSSierra on bootable drives. All of this stuff is illegal.

I then had a look for samples and there are a ton of them on Ebay, all ripped off from the original vendors and I can see by the sales count that hundreds of copies have been sold be each seller. It's just crazy on there! What are Ebay doing about it? nothing! They simply don't care. They get their cut of the sale, the fees and Paypal.

My attitude with Yamaha has always been if they don't want something on here they will soon let me know. They do read the forum...if only to have a dig at me but they are aware of the files we host and so far they have been fine with it.

Hosting other people's files can only be done on the basis that the IP owner has sanctioned it either directly or through some sort of open licensing/distribution thing where they allow the files to be distributed as long as credit is given to the author and no modifications are made to the code.

In general terms though I don't really want the forum filling up with links to other peoples archives unless they are going to prominently link back to us. I have said that many times but most people don't seem to hear me. It can't be a one way street where others benefit from our traffic and we get nothing back. That's almost as bad as posting people's files without their permission, it hurts them as dose not linking back hurts us.

If everyone plays fair then it all works like clockwork and all of us benefit.

I will defer to Derek and Jim with regard to the EX5 files as they know what is and what is not legitimate so basically if either of these two guys don't give the go ahead please do not upload.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Agree that the eBay situation is crazy. As I said on the other thread, both Jim and I have reported breaches of copyright and eBay's response is "prove you are the copyright holder". Not good, and yes you cannot hold back the tide, but that does not mean we should lose our moral compass. I.e. I charge money for my software, so I would be a hypocrite if I pirated somebody else's. Or purchased ripped off resources,

A valid point on linking back. Take a look at the links section of www.marce-music.com - link back to here has been there ever since I made the site live - probably about ten years ago now. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Return to “Yamaha EX5 & Yamaha EX7 Downloads”