Brian Eno DX7 patches

Downloads for the Yamaha DX7 and TX7 module

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
AndyHornBlower

Brian Eno DX7 patches

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:39 am

Please let me know if these are here already, somewhere. I did a brief search, but couldn't find them.

There were four patches shared by Brian Eno, shared with Keyboard Magazine, in 1987 (apparently), but I also have a larger set of patches where are allegedly by him... I can't remember where I got them.

Since Dave Benson's DX7 page seems to have gone forever, it might have been there.

These are the four magazine ones; Tamboura, Glide, Kalimba 2 and Violin 3 :
ENO.syx
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

The brief article, and spreadsheet style patch details, are here:
https://www.factmag.com/2017/05/12/bria ... h-patches/

Here's the larger set, containing possibly the same patches, plus several more, including piano patches:
_Brian_Eno_Yamaha_DX7_Patches.syx
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Those might be the ones demoed here (in a video which is nothing to do with me):

User avatar Great Britain
AndyHornBlower

Re: Brian Eno DX7 patches

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I tried importing both of those sysex files into JSynthLib... The one with only four patches works fine; the other doesn't.

Looking at it with frhed (a hex viewer / editor), I see three chunks of sysex, in the same file. There's a bit which might be a valid single voice dump/patch, then what appears to be a full patch bank (32 patches), then something else, which is quite short but looks kind of wrong.

So, I've extracted just the main part, as a new sysex file. That can be imported into JSynthLib, and looks okay, so I've attached it here:

BrianEnoDX7.syx
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

It's quite possible an actual DX7 or TX7 would cope with the file I started with - it could just be that it confuses JSynthLib. I'll try them on my TX7 soon, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone tried the last one and was puzzled about how to get it to work.

Return to “Yamaha DX7 & TX7 Downloads”