Brian Eno DX7 patches

Downloads for the Yamaha DX7 and TX7 module

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

AndyHornBlower

VIP

Brian Eno DX7 patches

Unread post by AndyHornBlower »

Please let me know if these are here already, somewhere. I did a brief search, but couldn't find them.

There were four patches shared by Brian Eno, shared with Keyboard Magazine, in 1987 (apparently), but I also have a larger set of patches where are allegedly by him... I can't remember where I got them.

Since Dave Benson's DX7 page seems to have gone forever, it might have been there.

These are the four magazine ones; Tamboura, Glide, Kalimba 2 and Violin 3 :
ENO.syx

The brief article, and spreadsheet style patch details, are here:
https://www.factmag.com/2017/05/12/bria ... h-patches/

Here's the larger set, containing possibly the same patches, plus several more, including piano patches:
_Brian_Eno_Yamaha_DX7_Patches.syx

Those might be the ones demoed here (in a video which is nothing to do with me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdAv74hBnU
You must be registered and a VIP subscriber to view the files attached to this post. Click here for more info.

Slow the spread of #covid19 Coronavirus : #Masks4All #masks4all

AndyHornBlower

VIP

Re: Brian Eno DX7 patches

I tried importing both of those sysex files into JSynthLib... The one with only four patches works fine; the other doesn't.

Looking at it with frhed (a hex viewer / editor), I see three chunks of sysex, in the same file. There's a bit which might be a valid single voice dump/patch, then what appears to be a full patch bank (32 patches), then something else, which is quite short but looks kind of wrong.

So, I've extracted just the main part, as a new sysex file. That can be imported into JSynthLib, and looks okay, so I've attached it here:

BrianEnoDX7.syx

It's quite possible an actual DX7 or TX7 would cope with the file I started with - it could just be that it confuses JSynthLib. I'll try them on my TX7 soon, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone tried the last one and was puzzled about how to get it to work.
You must be registered and a VIP subscriber to view the files attached to this post. Click here for more info.

AndyHornBlower

VIP

It seems I got those from the YamahaDX Yahoo group, which has now been reincarnated as a Groups.io group.

It's (apparently) the one in the files section of the group, which is now here:

https://groups.io/g/YamahaDX - look on the left side for Files.

There's a lot of other vintage Yamaha FM related files (not just DX7), and discussions going back several years, which have been migrated across from Yahoo.

Membership is free. It's not quite a forum but it does behave a lot like one - it's actually a mailing list, with an online history, similar to what Yahoo Groups was. Definitely worth a look.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the info Andy and the uploads. Some of the forum members have been busy archiving large parts of Yahoo Groups and you may have seen the rather extensive thread about that. It is great that so many are interested in preserving all this information. With so many people doing it we can be sure that it won't be lost for those just starting on the journey (Y)

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

AndyHornBlower

VIP

Hi Saul,

No problem.

I haven't seen the thread, but I have watched a few groups migrate to groups.io from Yahoo. No great loss. It was definitely past its sell by date, anyway.