FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

TX81Z Owners Manual, with bookmarks added

The Yamaha TX81Z is a rack version of Yamaha DX11

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

AndyHornBlower Great Britain

TX81Z Owners Manual, with bookmarks added

Unread post by AndyHornBlower »

This is the official TX81Z Owners Manual, but I've added bookmarks to it, with Foxit Reader 3.1.something. That's an old version, but I didn't like their newer version that I tried, so I stuck with that. As far as I know, the bookmarks will work in any PDF reader made in the last few years, but I haven't tested that.

The bookmarks are made from the headings and sub headings. In Foxit Reader, you have a panel on the left which can be folded out (or not) to show them. They're in an indented collapsible tree - you click the + to open up a sub section to see what's in it, then click the - to close it up again.

I find this approach is easier than flipping backwards and forwards to the index or contents page, and doing searches. Some of these old manuals are just scanned too - even when downloaded from Yamaha, so you can't search for keywords in them.

Yamaha TX81Z.pdf

The version of Foxit Reader I have is an indefinte free trial that's functional enough, for the likes of me, and doesn't expire - it's not a hacked copy; that's just how they offered it, at the time. If it's deemed appropriate and useful, I could attach that too - it's about 5MB, and no longer available directly form the publisher, AFAIK. There's a 3.5MB manual too, which I've never felt the need to read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slow the spread of #covid19 Coronavirus : #Masks4All #masks4all
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: TX81Z Owners Manual, with bookmarks added

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for that Andy.

There is of course also the free Adobe Reader https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ which works well. I use the Pro version and that displays everything perfectly...at least on the Mac it does. Also displays well in the Mac preview app as below.
Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 19.56.12.png
Definitely attach that Foxit Reader though as some people may prefer that to the Adobe Product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Oh dear! 8O

No, the bookmarks are supposed to look like this:

TX81Z Owners Manual - bookmarks in Foxit Reader.gif

The way Adobe Reader is showing them doesn't seem very useful at all. They're supposed to work as a collapsible index.

Here's Foxit Reader 3.1.something, which shows them as intended.

FoxitReader31.zip
[EDIT: I think it might offer to install a toolbar too, which you almost certainly don't want - pay attention to the options at the first couple of stages of installation, and just choose the PDF reader. There's nothing malicious, but there may well be some useless junk. The actual PDF reader is good, and I've used it happily for years, on Windows 2000 and Windows 7. I'd expect it to also work on Windows 10.]

I can attach the manual too, if you like, but I don't think many people would actually bother to read it. It's a PDF reader, and there's an options menu. I think you'll figure the rest out for yourselves :)

Just one clue though - there's a View menu, and under that there's a sub menu called Navigation Panels. On that sub menu there's "Show Navigation Panels" (or "Hide Navigation Panels", if they're currently showing) and "Show Bookmarks", which is ticked or not. You use that to turn bookmarks on or off, or you can click various icons.
Last edited by AndyHornBlower on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

That screenshot was from the Mac 'preview' app. It can open everything incl pdf's

The view from Adobe Acrobat is like this :
Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 21.16.09.png
Which is more like you intended it to be?
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Ah! Yes, that's much better. Thanks, Saul.