User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Roland ED PC-300 Midi Keyboard Controller

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 pm

See Footnote . . . . . !
Roland ED PC-300.png

Not a bad little controller, though showing it's age now . . .

Sporting both USB and DIN-Midi OUT - I came across it at home (forgotten that it had been donated some years ago)

and decided to give it a try . . . (It was very clean and had had little use.)

Roland gave up on Drivers for it at WinXP - so, making it talk to Win10 x64 seemed unlikely . . .

A little poking around on the internet found a solution :shock: :dance:

I was skeptical, but followed through - and it worked . . . .

Go here: gkmcd.blogspot.com/2011/12/roland-pc-300-on-windows-7.html

and scroll down to <DelMongo>'s Post, that starts . .
1. Plug in your PC-300 to a USB-port.
Just follow the instructions . . . . . Strangely, it "modifies" a Windows 8.0/8.1 Driver for the UM-1 from Roland (link given)

Those of you smarter than me will probably look at that and will KNOW why it worked :lol: - not me, I'm afraid :oops:

I used Notepad++ which is free - and superior to Notepad to edit the mentioned file . . . . . .

The next problem is the Driver signing problem to be dealt with . . .

This is done by holding down <shift> while clicking <Restart>

When Windows comes back - select <Troubleshoot> and then, next screen <Advanced Options>

Next Screen, select <Startup Settings>

READ the next Screen and NOTE - "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" . . . . . . :idea: THEN click <Restart> . .

When Windows returns . . . . It Pauses at the "Startup Settings" Screen . . .

Remembering what you just read . . . press (7) or F7 to start with THAT feature invoked . . .

Follow the instructions to Find the offending entry in <Device Manager> . . . .

At this point, I discovered that it seemed essential to <Delete the existing Driver> . . . .

(I had to fail, before I realised this was significant - it's NOT mentioned in the instructions . . . )

Having done this, Windows was more amenable to the MANUAL installation of the UNSIGNED Driver I was offering :lol:

Though it did protest and ask me if I was sure to go ahead . . . :roll:

The Driver then installed. I restarted, just to be sure, and when Windows returned after a "normal" startup,

I was rewarded with the PC-300 showing up in device manager. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I opened Reaper, and invoked it as an input device . . .

Opened a session I was working on, made a new track with the PC-300 as input device, and hey Presto . .

All working. MOD and PB controls, even the Volume Slider worked the Level inside Kontakt11's loaded VSTi . . .

Here's the Proof . . .
PC-300 in Win10.jpg
PC-300 in Win10.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 3512 times

AS a POSTSCRIPT . . . . A Recent WINDOWS FEATURE Update of March 2019

(Strangely called OCTOBER?) BROKE this install.

I had to unplug/re-plug the PC-300 to re-discover it and Manually reinstall the driver . . .

Update Driver/select driver from THIS Computer/Browse . . . .

The Modified Driver is called RDIF1009.INF Here:
RDIF1009.zip
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Windows will complain as "unsigned", but install "anyway". This Done - The PC-300 will reappear in device manager (Y)

:D parametric :D
Last edited by parametric on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roland ED PC-300 Midi Keyboard Controller

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Well that is certainly getting on a bit now but, it has USB and you got it working! Proves that older gear need not be redundant and that if there is a will there definitely is a way :clap: :clap: :clap:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
SlickClick

Unread post by SlickClick » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi I have a Driver that I use for this in Windows 10...
I had an issue with the install you posted and found that my "DeviceId" was reporting differently...
I posted a how-to and the driver here: http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=56140
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Thanks for that <SlickClick> . . . . .

can't really say why it wouldn't work for you . . . . :confusion-confused:

My file still has the "9" at the end . . . .

The PC-300 stands on it's end (connected by usb) against the wall beside my DT System - and the power led

comes on each time I boot up.

Occasionally Reaper complains it can't see it - I just switch it off and on, and all is fine again . . . .

Curious . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Roland”