CFX Piano Sound On Yamaha Genos Sounds Thin?

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

Gordon49
United States of America

Re: CFX Piano Sound On Yamaha Genos Sounds Thin?

Unread post by Gordon49 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 am

Regarding the CFX piano sounding thin, I want to tell you what happened to me that might help explain the thin sound. I always use my Traynor K4 keyboard amp when I gig with the Genos, and the CFX piano sounds great; however, I had a gig recently where the only way to get the equipment to the stage was to go down a flight of stairs. Since my amp is 57 pounds and I knew my back would give me problems if I carried the amp up and down the stairs, I decided instead to run the keyboard through the PA that the singer/guitarist brought. The PA channel On the mixer was run flat, but the CFX piano sounded so thin and unlike what it always sounds like. Since we were in the middle of the show, I couldn’t go over to the PA mixer to try to adjust the EQ. Maybe those who have experienced the Genos CFX piano sounding thin might either adjust the EQ or try different amps, speakers and mixers.
PdeMatos
Portugal

Unread post by PdeMatos » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:11 am

I tried everything possible to edit with that sound, more decay to sustain the notes, eq, DSP effects added to Damper Resonance, and the sound is only good for playing with full arrangement surrounding it, for a solo playing, like at the start of a Ballad, it's really a poor sound...
As we paid so much for our Genos, why don't we have a Bosendorfer piano sound like the Montage and the MODX owners do? From the demos I hear, wow, much more body, decay, resonance, sustain, harmonics, a really good piano sound. I could only wish Yamaha remembers us, Genos owners, regarding this piano sound Library
What do you guys think on this?
Greetings

Paulo
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 am

Hi Paulo

Thanks for the update. I agree with you that the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand should be made available to Genos owners. I prefer it over the CFX which I am sure is fine but never quite does it for me. I am not entirely sure why Yamaha have not made the Bosendorfer available to Genos owners but I can certainly try and find out.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am

Tuning and E.T. (Equal Temperament for the uninitiated).
Now there's a subject that one could spend many hours, if not days, weeks, months, even years discussing.

So, just a few words of enlightenment.
For fixed pitch instruments tuned In E.T., every note, apart from octaves, IS out of tune.
5ths are probably the most in tune of all the notes, 3rds are way out off tune.
There are ways of tuning that try to minimise these effects, ever heard of "stretch tuning" a piano?

Many books have been written about the subject over at leat three centuries.
Tuning and temperaments have been the subjects of heated debate for as long.

If you want a really good CFX, then the one recorded at Abbey Road studios might be of interest.
Every single note individually sampled, each one at, something like, 20 different velocity levels, including with and without various pedals and synpathetic string resonance, etc.
I bought the "lite" version a few days after it first hit the market.

CFXlite.jpg
CFXlite.jpg (88.67 KiB) Viewed 106 times

It can be tuned to any of the common pitches:

CFXtuning.jpg
CFXtuning.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 106 times

It can also be tuned to many of the common temperaments available on-line.

CFXtemper.jpg
CFXtemper.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 106 times

And it comes with a convolution reverb unit built into the stand-alone or VST sample player.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
Khudson7
Canada

Unread post by Khudson7 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 pm

I may be a little late for this post, but I seem to be having the same problem with piano sounding very thin especially in the middle C and up about 1 and 1/2 octaves using my hs5 and hs8s speakers(yamaha speakers). I do not notice it when using the bose over the ear headphones. I have played with the eq and controls on back of speakers for many hours trying to get it to a decent piano sound in those octaves, and yes, I have it set now to remove some of the tininess, but still not satisfied with the piano sound I have hoped for. Don't get me wrong...I am extremely happy with the Genos and all the things i can do with it, but this is just one annoying thing that is a constant irritation and I had hoped for a better sounding piano. Are there any expansion packs that you may have tried that might give a better piano sound than those included with the Genos? Has anyone else had this problem with these sets of speakers? Just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone might have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ken

Return to “Yamaha Genos Forum”