Genos MIDI

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
Tomotom56

Genos MIDI

Unread post by Tomotom56 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:53 am

Yamaha have just informed me that Genos has no MIDI through caperbility? Not through the USB/device anyway. I send a midi message from Unrealbook which selects a registration memory. I want that midi message to continue on to select a Rackspace on Gig Performer/MainStage. Any ideas from the midi gurus out there?
Many thanks.
I can use the iRig midi interface which had a through port but I was hoping not to add anymore hardware. I have enough gear to set up 😂
Last edited by Tomotom56 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Genos MIDI

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:57 am

MIDI through is not something we often see on keyboards these days or at least not in the form of a DIN socket anyway.

I seem to remember something about MIDI through via USB but as I hardly ever delve into the inner workings of MIDI it is lost in that hazy fog that is my brain :lol:

We do though have some real MIDI gurus on the forum so I am sure one of them will be able to shed further light on this.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm not a Genos owner, so can only take a look at the available manuals and take a shot at answering.

No, there are no MIDI thru sockets on the Genos. Two Ins and two outs, but no thru.
However, some other devices I have used in the past have the capability of transferring some or all of the MIDI messages sent to them via USB to their MIDI out socket(s).
Taking a quick look through the Genos User and Reference manuals I couldn't find any instructions of how one might do this.
Maybe I'm going blind.

So, perhaps Yamaha has decided for you, that you don't need this facility!
(After all, why would you need to send a message to another device? Surely a Genos is the be-all and end-all of all keyboards? Isn't it?) :roll: :? :wink:

However a Genos owner may have figured out a way to do this, but I can't see it after a quick shuftie through the documentation.

JohnG.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Great Britain
Tomotom56

Unread post by Tomotom56 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks to you all for your input. Appreciate it. I think I'll have to go with gigperformer's suggestion. Only trouble is I have over 500 songs in Unrealbook containing PCs. It will take some time!🥺
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

Might be worth a read of the forum rules?

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=5958
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Yamaha Genos Forum”