Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Headphones not working on Yamaha Genos

Unread post by Saul »

I agree with you Derek, normal operation would allow the the headphones to work at the same time as the Line out's being connected however from what I read the headphone output was not working at all, regardless of the Line outs being connected. That clearly is not correct. Maybe it was just a glitch but not come across it myself on any other keyboard and I have had more than 30 of them over the years.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

I know :) but the OP seemed to be questioning the correct behaviour unless I misread it? Possible as it has been a long day!
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV »

Well, I have found what happens!. At least it is predictable now, but still don't know technically why it happens.

I am using a pair of amplified JBL LSR-305 monitors with my Genos. Well, as soon as I power them, the headphones are muted!. If I just power them off, even without removing cables, the headphones work.

Also, I have found why yesterday night magically the headphones began to work... I had then the Yamaha MG10XU mixing console connected to the Genos. On that configuration, the speakers are connected directly to the console and so the Genos behaves as it should.

So, summing up, there is something which triggers the headphones MUTE circuit when there is a connection to the LSR-305 speakers (and I guess that could happen with other brands and models). Is that a feature or an indication of a problem?. It is true that I am using the LSR-305 with non-balanced cables (TS-TS cables from the Genos to the speakers) but the manual of the monitors say that is a possible configuration and the Genos has non-balanced outputs.

Any idea of what could be happening?. I am new to pro-audio cabling and perhaps I am missing something basic.

At least I can use the Genos at night :D ; I have just put a switchable socket array for the monitors so I can easily get back the headphones operation.

BTW, I am not using the MG10XU as it had a problem (that was a real one, the effect select knob only worked upwards) and it is packed to be returned for a replacement. It is a pity, as it solved all my headphone problems!

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, 2x TG77, SY99, SPX990, SY85, A3000, 2x AN1x, EX5, 2x EX5R, EX7, FS1R, MOTIF RACK XS, MOX8, Montage 6, Genos (and 1992' FJ1200 :mrgreen: )

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments 2, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76, TR Rack
Modartt Pianoteq 6 Stage
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Novation Xio 25
Roland D-50, JV-1080, U-220, XV-3080, XV-5080
Steinberg CC121, Cubase Pro 10.5, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
UVI Key Suite Bundle Edition, String Machines 2

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

Hmm . . ..

I would have thought that with the Yamaha GNS-MS01 Speaker Pack, AND the JBLs BOTH being active systems, that the switching arrangements described on p145 of the Manual ought to work for EITHER Speakers . . .

So this suggests that the Yamaha speakers are somehow "different" - at least, as far as the Genos is concerned . . . .

Seems the Genos Line-Outs are "intelligent" sockets . . . . 8O

Let me be clear at this point.

I'm sure the GNS-MS01 perform well and sound GREAT - designed as they are for a DOMESTIC installation . . . but . .

I personally can't approve of this thinly veiled attempt to tie you in to approved accessories.

There are OTHER active monitors out there you might choose - Genelecs for instance . . . .

However - the question seems to have been answered . . . .

Connecting via your mixer appears to "hide" this from the Genos - and so it works . . . . .

Are we discovering that the Genos is in fact as good in a domestic environment as it is on stage?

Serious gigging Musicians will mostly be diffusing through a mixer . . . . .so all should be well . . . .

Though it's still a little disappointing that the socketry is NOT TRS . . . .

Both my Alesis Fusions were MUCH cheaper and ALL their sockets are TRS

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I'm with you there Chris and I "think" the idea with Genos is that people also buy the GNS-MS01 speaker pack to go with it. Much the same as Yamaha used to encourage people to buy the MS-05 pack for the Tyros 5.

From a business standpoint I understand the notion of encouraging people to buy your own products but at this price point I think customers have already spent more than enough on the keyboard itself and what they choose to plug it into should be entirely down to them and not only that but their personal choice of speaker should not impede the use of any of the keyboards functions.

Can you imagine what would happen if Yamaha did the same with the Montage? It's unthinkable so why is it ok to do it with the Genos?

Yamaha make some of the best music products in the world and their Pro Audio stuff is second to none but they really do test people's patience sometimes ;(
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

And I am absolutely with you on all that Saul.

Yamaha DO make great products . . . FAMOUS for the quality of their sounds - AND at all price points . . . . .

I just don't "Get" the point of that issue with the Speaker-set, which at £250 is NOT a trivial expense if you've just bought the Genos.

THAT CURIOUSNESS with connectivity poses a question . . . . . .

If I was too consider THAT Set to use with my Fusion - should I be worried about the connectivity strangeness?

Surely the GNS-MS01 speaker pack is just an amplified Speaker Kit that you could use with an iPod or a Keyboard/Synth

(or anything else that has an analog L+R output)?

Hmm . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I could be wrong but I have a feeling there would be some faffing around to do if you wanted to use the GNS-MS01 speaker kit with anything else...otherwise why the need for a "special" kit just for Genos?

There is no denying Yamaha's quality when it comes to sound production. They are pretty much the benchmark by which others are measured AND I also understand they are a business and need to generate profit but, there needs also to be some balancing of profit against customer satisfaction. The two are not mutually exclusive. Without keeping the customer on board you will start to lose money. I think in some cases Yamaha goes a little too far with the profit side of things.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Saul wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm
I could be wrong but I have a feeling there would be some faffing around to do if you wanted to use the GNS-MS01 speaker kit with anything else...otherwise why the need for a "special" kit just for Genos?
Quite . . . . :x

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Steviebev

Unread post by Steviebev »

There is a setting on the “menu” page 2 “utility” called speaker/connectivity speaker can be set to 1 of 3 settings. Headphone switch. on. Off. If it’s set to headphone switch when you plug headphones in it will mute the speakers, if it’s set to on you can play with headphones on and also have the sound coming from the speakers.
Hope this works for you.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Steviebev wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:30 pm
There is a setting on the “menu” page 2 “utility” called speaker/connectivity speaker can be set to 1 of 3 settings. Headphone switch. on. Off. If it’s set to headphone switch when you plug headphones in it will mute the speakers, if it’s set to on you can play with headphones on and also have the sound coming from the speakers.
Hope this works for you.
Nice one Stevie (Y) and welcome to the forums :)
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV »

Steviebev wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:30 pm
Hope this works for you.
As the thread starter (two years ago, BTW), I want to add that the problem was that LINE OUTPUTS do not get muted when you insert the HEADPHONE JACK in the Genos. The option you comment is only valid for GENOS speakers, but not when using alternate ones.

All in all my solution was to add a mixing console and a power switch to the speakers, and using the mixing headphones output. So, when I don't want speaker output, I just power them out. But the mixer console, which also takes the PC audio and other synths input, let me control the headphone levels and all audio source levels.

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, 2x TG77, SY99, SPX990, SY85, A3000, 2x AN1x, EX5, 2x EX5R, EX7, FS1R, MOTIF RACK XS, MOX8, Montage 6, Genos (and 1992' FJ1200 :mrgreen: )

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments 2, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76, TR Rack
Modartt Pianoteq 6 Stage
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Novation Xio 25
Roland D-50, JV-1080, U-220, XV-3080, XV-5080
Steinberg CC121, Cubase Pro 10.5, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
UVI Key Suite Bundle Edition, String Machines 2