recording the vocal on a seperate track

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: parametric, Buzzard, Derek, Saul

jtolbirt

recording the vocal on a seperate track

Unread post by jtolbirt »

Well lets see how do I say this?
I have made a midi file. sounds great. now i want to sing along with the midi and record the vocal separate from the midi so I can take it over to the computer and do the tweaking to the vocals only in my DAW.
I understand you cannot add an audio track into the midi on the keyboard, and hooking up the keyboard to the computer presents a few problems.
The only way I have found to do what i want is to get the vocals set up like I want them, and get it ready to record on the genos, then plug the headphones into the computer and play the song and record the vocal only then export it to the usb drive and load it up on the DAW and do my edits there.
I guess this is clear as mud now but I have been reading for about 6 months on all the forums and watching all of mikes vids from keyboard America and can find nothing on recording the vocals and editing them along with a midi file.
If anyone has a suggestion please throw it at me.
Thanks in advance,
Jess

Iggydavid
Location.: Great Britain, England

Re: recording the vocal on a seperate track

Unread post by Iggydavid »

Hi jtolbird, before I was 'forced' to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last Autumn, I recorded all my music on a DAW called, Adobe Audition (1.5). Since then I cannot get past a huge Latency problem. Basically, I can't record with a 2 second delay...impossible...however I now record on a Zoom R-24 Audio Workstation. The recorded tracks are put on a memory stick (some folks call them a flash drive). I load those into my computer and into Adobe Audition for mixing and for creating a stereo mp3 file.
The Zoom R-24 has two built in condencer microphones that are excellent for vocals/acoustic guitar etc. Best bit of kit I've bought since my Yamaha Revstar 420.
So, if you get really stuck, the Zoom R-24 comes highly recommended. Only problem is maybe the cost...but that's always a thing. They're good recorder for the price and are very user friendly.
Hope that gives you some food for thought.
Good luck and keep making music.

jtolbirt

Re: recording the vocal on a seperate track

Unread post by jtolbirt »

Thanks for the reply. I am using a couple of different DAW's if I want to do a quick mix and fix i use mixcraft 8 and if I want to get picky I use Studio 1. I also have sony pro tools but its way to complicated for me.
I usually record the Midi tracks on my genos then take it to the computer and make the changes i want to make then take it back to the genos and put the voices i want to each voice and record it to the stick as an mp3 file. then take it back to the computer and record the vocal into the DAW. But. TThe genos has a pretty good vocal harmony and dry settings and i would like to be able to record the vocals along with playing the midi all at the same time but looks like that isn't possible. I have had this thing for over a year and still learning stuff. I can record it like a live performance but after its recorded you cant do anything with it..
looks like that r-24 might be the trick,