Any Yamaha Genos owners on the forum?

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: Yamaha Genos

Unread post by parametric »

Indeed there are Davhol, and welcome to the forums BTW . . . .

The Yamaha Genos Forum (this one) currently has 792 posts spread among 126 Topics . . .

If you scroll down and look at the previous Posts, you'll gather who the owners are . . . . ;)

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Davhol

Unread post by Davhol »

Really glad to hear there are Genos users. I'd like to know how you like the instrument. For myself, I really enjoy it. The voices are so unbelievably authentic.
I only have one issue with the Genos, and that has to do with expansion packs. There are lots of them on the web and I've downloaded most of them. The problem is that the user is limited by the amount of expansion memory. Yamaha ought to make more memory available even if it costs some $.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

Iv'e never actually played a Genos, but the opinions in here can be trusted - as we are NOT under the cosh to anyone to

"say nice things". I've only heard good things about the Genos - both for it's sounds and it's build quality, which given the

price - is to be expected.

The march of technology has given us a bewildering selection of expansion packs - which the manufacturers are only too happy

to sell us ;) . . . Unfortunately the memory expansion options are underwhelming to say the least . . .

The MOXF series for example offered only 512Mb and 1024Mb expansion cards which were NOT over-cheap . . .

So you are put in the situation of having to make a choice, rather than "Have it all" :(

Bear in mind it is also about the immediacy of access to what you have . . . This will largely depend of the amount of RAM

available . . . (You can never really have too much).

My Alesis Fusions had 2 x 64Mb out of the box (Two "engines") expandable to 2 x 192Mb.

They eventually sported 80Gb HDDs, which I upped to 120GB SSDs.

This enabled me to install ALL the 3rd party Banks I wanted to (I have hundreds). Any program (Alesis-speak) can be selected

and is piped into RAM for Playing . . . . This is from a board launched in 2005 and legacied in 2008 . . . . :roll:

I believe the Kronos can also work direct from it's internal Drive?

I don't think I'm being unfair in saying that Yamaha have tended to be a bit miserly in this respect with rather undewhelming

expansion options?

Sure, it's GREAT to have Chick Corea's Fender Rhodes on board, but not if you have to chuck out a load of other stuff you need?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris