midi controller (lower keyboard)

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

johnspiano
Great Britain

midi controller (lower keyboard)

Unread post by johnspiano » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi,
Just moved to Genos after many years with Tyros and looking for help with setting up my midi controller. I have a M-Audio Oxygen88 I use as a lower keyboard which I set up so that the left part becomes the lower keyboard. This is working but I am getting a lot of random latency making it un-usable
Have any you folks had any success with setting up a lower keyboard and how do you get rid of this latency?

also - when I use the preset "KBD & STYLE" the lower keyboard defaults to song sounds making quick changes tricky - I would love for this to work like it says in the book where parts become lower and upper but this has never worked for me, even in Tyros days.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: midi controller (lower keyboard)

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:08 am

What are you using to connect the Genos and the Oxygen88-- MIDI cable(s), USB with a USB host (computer, etc.) between them, Bluetooth, etc.?
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400, PSR-EW400
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Past keyboards: Farfisa Matador, Casio CTK-710
johnspiano
Great Britain

Unread post by johnspiano » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am

Midi cable (and tried a few to rule out broken cable). Would love to use USB direct as this powers the controller too but get incompatible message so had to dig out the old leads again. I have connected the USB to Genos for power and Midi lead for signal - I also tried without USB power from Genos to rule out midi/USB errors.

I have now tried with a few different midi controllers all with the same problem - M-Audio Keystation88 and even an old Behringer UXB49
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:36 pm

I had heard from one person on another forum that M-Audio keyboards can have latency issues, but to be honest I was doubtful when he said that. My only experience with M-Audio keyboards is an Axiom 61-II that had terrible latency when I tried to use it to play some virtual instruments, but that was before I knew about problems with Windows audio. Later, when I installed ASIO4ALL, I was able to use the Axiom 61-II to play virtual instruments with no noticeable latency-- hence, when I heard about M-Audio keyboards having latency issues, I figured it was probably a problem with audio drivers, not MIDI latency on the part of the M-Audio keyboard.

By the way, the person I heard this from uses Linux and hates Windows, and it's possible he was connecting his M-Audio Keystation (which he no longer has, because he thought it was garbage) to another instrument via MIDI cables, rather than trying to play virtual instruments on a computer. I haven't tried to use a MIDI cable with my Axiom 61-II yet, because everything else I own-- except for other controllers-- are strictly USB-MIDI.

If there were no noticeable latency issues when you were using the Oxygen88 with a Tyros, then it seems like the problem might be on the Genos side rather than on the Oxygen88 side. But based on this other person's comment about MIDI latency with his old Keystation, perhaps M-Audio controllers do have some kind of issue with MIDI latency?

Have you updated the firmware on the Genos?

Have you tried using any other controllers-- not necessarily 88 keys, and not necessarily keyboard controllers-- connected to the Genos via MIDI cables to see if you can detect any latency?

As far as using USB-MIDI rather than MIDI, I wonder if something like the following-- using a Raspberry Pi-- would help?

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/send-midi- ... -to-5-pin/

Of course, you can just go through a computer or laptop-- that's what I do-- but a Raspberry Pi is much smaller and more portable. I've never used one myself, and if I ever get one I'd want to enclose it in some kind of case, but it would be less expensive than the available MIDI-to-USB host boxes I've seen, and would let you route a USB-MIDI device to another USB-MIDI device.
Michael Rideout
johnspiano
Great Britain

Unread post by johnspiano » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

It was Firmware, thanks - Just updated the Genos and all working nicely now.

The Oxygen88 is a nice controller with hammer weighted keys and lots of programmable knobs and faders giving you even more control over the Genos without having to flick through menus. Just need to learn and how drive it ...
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Great news Sir!

It's kind of what firmware updates were for . . . . ? :lol:

Well done Yamaha ((i)) ((i))

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Since it sounded like you didn't experience the same issue when using the Tyros, I suspected that the Genos might be the culprit. I'm glad that applying the firmware update did the trick. There's liable to be one or more firmware updates yet to come, so you might want to keep an eye on Yamaha's site.
Michael Rideout

Return to “Yamaha Genos Forum”