Wiresandsound
Great Britain

Playing back custom voices on the Yamaha Genos via midi

Unread post by Wiresandsound » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:25 pm

yamaha_genos.png
Yamaha Genos
:(
Hi All
I’m new to this forum but not new to Yamaha keyboards. I’ve owned Tyros, Tyros 3, Tyros 4, Montage 7 and now Genos.
I’m trying to achieve a little thing via midi.
I want my “click track” to either trigger an audio linked multi pad or play a WAV custom voice imported via Expansion Manager.
As it stands I know I can’t do the first task yet but Yamaha Tech UK have assured me there is a back door way utilising Expansion Manager and custom voices.
I have successfully imported a WAV file into Genos onto a specific key (G8) within a custom user voice and when I select that voice normally and press (G8) the WAV file sounds. However, when I try to get a midi file to play it, nothing but a “piano ping” is heard. I have set the correct MSB LSB PC instructions into the midi file (ch 1 in this case) but nothing. Any advice you kind folk can offer would be most grateful.

Kindest regards
Wayne
Wiresandsound
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Playing back custom voices via midi

Unread post by Saul » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi Wayne, welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

I don't own a Genos unfortunately so what your trying to do is a bit beyond my experience. If Yamaha have said it can be done I am sure it can although it would have been useful if they outlined the steps you need to take in order to achieve this ;)

We do now have some other Genos owners on the forum so perhaps they can pitch in here?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Davhol
United States of America

Re: Playing back custom voices on the Yamaha Genos via midi

Unread post by Davhol » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Wayne, sounds like your knowledge level is waaay beyond mine. I own a Genos but I'm just a "player".
I don't know if this will help, but:
1. The reference manual has an entire chapter (chapter 12) beginning on pg 132 regarding Midi implementation on the Genos.

2. Apparently there is also an Expansion Manager manual which is referred to in the above chapter.

That's the best I can do for you!
Davhol
United States of America

Unread post by Davhol » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi again Wayne...i think this will solve your issue. As i was going through my reference manual I discovered many missing menu items. Then I realized that there might be a firmware update available.
Sure enough, there is! One of the problems mentioned sounded like YOURS.
Here is the link for the update:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/firm_genos.html

I don't know why the link didn't paste as a link!! NOTE: WHEN YOU GET TO THE PAGE YOU'LL HAVE TO SCROLL WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM TO FIND THE ZIP FILE

HOPE THIS FIXES YOUR ISSUE !! It certainly fixed all of mine!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for that Dave. I think the link will work now :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Davhol
United States of America

Unread post by Davhol » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Yep, link works. Thanks Saul
Wiresandsound
Great Britain

Unread post by Wiresandsound » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Thank you for your responses so far.
Alas, I had already updated to ver 1.30 prior to starting on on this little vendetta.
Some members of my 80’s tribute band want to transfer our “click track” over onto “Main Stage” and MAC. I’m reluctant because I’d rather be able to have all we need in front of me where I’ve got control. I also control our dmx lighting rig using the click tracks and multipads (currently via my Tyros 4 and laptop via usb). If I can get audio files to trigger in sync with midi on Genos then i’ll Be a happy chappy. Not feeling too confident at the moment though. 😟
Wheel19710
Great Britain

Unread post by Wheel19710 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 am

Hi Wayne.

I know it’s been 6 months since the last post to your question, but did you ever manage to overcome your issue as I’m trying to do something similar?

Thanks
Paul
Wiresandsound
Great Britain

Unread post by Wiresandsound » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:01 am

Hi Paul. I have found a way. It involved using the Expansion Manager software and creating a custom voice and importing my individual wave stems one at a time onto a different key. Once the voice is saved and transferred onto Genos, the new custom voice can be used to trigger the wave files in a midi file. Hope this helps.

Wayne
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks for sharing that info Wayne. I have a feeling there may be others out there wanting to do what you did. Much appreciated (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Wheel19710
Great Britain

Unread post by Wheel19710 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am

Sorry Wayne, I didn’t get notified of your reply :( I managed to figure it out in expansion manager creating a custom drum voice and importing wave samples assigning them to individual keys as you did. The only thing I would add is that I initially had an issue that the samples would fade out after a few seconds when played on the Genos. I modified the voice on the Genos setting the decay value to the maximum which appeared to work, but when the modified voice was played through midi it appeared to ignore the new decay value and would still fade out (probably a bug). I then tried amending the decay for each note in expansion manager directly and reimported the voice and this then worked :)

Return to “Yamaha Genos Forum”