Regist Memory vs OTS

Yamaha Genos digital workstation keyboard

Moderators: Derek, Buzzard, parametric, Saul

User avatar Egypt
technologist38

Regist Memory vs OTS

Unread post by technologist38 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Hello Genos Owners,

So we have 10 registry memory buttons and 4 one touch setting (OTS) buttons. From what I noticed, both do the same job which is calling panel settings.I still can't understand what exactly the benefit of the OTS if I can use the RM buttons to call up my panel settings. I did a simple math, if each RM button contains 3 voices (R1, R2, R3) then we got 30 voices per song, which is more than enough and you will never use more than 5 or 6 instruments in a song.

I understand that OTS is pre-programmed by Yamaha to contain voices for the selected style. But again, I can customize it exactly the same way as RM. Is it a some kind of extra flexibility from Yamaha? ...

From my point of view, I see it as four additional RM buttons, so they look 14 to me instead of 10. Should Yamaha better include a unique feature instead of repeating the functions in the instrument and give it another name?

What do you think?
User avatar United States of America
papashark

Re: Regist Memory vs OTS

Unread post by papashark » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 am

I've only had the keyboard for a week and still a lot to learn. It seems Registration Memory buttons are used while in Playlist mode, and OTS buttons are used in Style/Voices mode.

OTS arms the ACMP and Sync Start, not sure if Reg Memory can do that.

Also there's an 'OTS Link' button, which changes the context of the OTS buttons depending on the Main Variation A-D button selected.

Similar concepts, but perhaps differentiated for ease of mental separation in use?
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:51 am

The OTS settings can be embedded within a style file using a special proprietary data chunk. I’m not sure whether that same OTS chunk can be used within a song file, but I’ll suppose that it can. This means you can create a style file or song file that you want to share with other Genos owners (or Tyros owners, or PSR-S owners) and you can include the OTS settings in the file so that the people who use your style or song will be able to play along using the same R1, R2, R3, and L voices that you had intended them to use, without the people needing to set up registrations for that.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Hungary
Zotti

Unread post by Zotti » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:05 am

Hello,

In my view, OTS has been designed to push only one button within a style to change (A-B-C-D). If OTS is active, the desired or pre-set and saved tone settings will be activated and you do not need to press the buttons with your right hand. This is a style of gaming very useful thing.
According to my counting, 16 styles (4x4) can be set for each style. Of course, this can also be used at MIDI and AUDIO. The song must be saved in REGISTRATION MEMORY so that the chosen style and the corresponding OTS are there.

I think OTS and REGISZTRATION MEMORY are completely different. Of course, it is possible to make 10 options within a style or in a BANK where 40 tones can be set. This is a question of the user who likes what.

Hi.
Zoli

Return to “Yamaha Genos Forum”