VL70-M, VL1, PLG100-VL

Virtual Acoustic physical modeling synthesis mathematically simulates the sound and characteristics of acoustic instruments in real-time. This forum covers the VL1, VL7 and VL-70 as well as the PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL plug in boards.

Moderator: parametric

User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Re: VL70-M, VL1, PLG100-VL

Unread post by puremusic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:11 am

I pulled up some demos of that AN1x, it's hard to believe you could let go of it, sounds lush and beautiful, reminds me of the CS80. Someone will be really happy. :)

I am just waiting for the right Motif Rack ES to appear on auction now, I think I will start off with one of those to host a PLG-100-VL or two. I nearly got a VL70-M the other day, but it's probably most cost effective to go the rack/plg route. I may wind up like some of you here with a bunch of PLGs someday at this rate.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon May 06, 2019 5:11 am

SysExJohn wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:31 pm
puremusic wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:49 am
Thanks for all the help fellows, really appreciate all these insights. I am going to look through these different PG cards and find what sound demos I can of them, that'll help me decide. :)

Looks like someone here liked these MUs enough to buy 2 of them.. O.o Ho ho ho.

Some of these MU sounds I've been listening to are really nostalgic.
You're most welcome.

No leg pulling, please, about owning two MU1000s. :wink:
Anyway, you're quite wrong. :?:
:idea: Actually I own two MU128s which I really must get around to selling. Interested?
AND I own 2 MU1000s. I should sell one of them, I don't use it any more.
But I'm keeping my collection of PLG cards, sorry. :( As well as the trusty Roland SC8850.

AND ... I'm seriously considering selling my Yamaha AN1x, together with its hard carrying case.
I wonder how much I should get for that? :?: :?: :?:

ATB, :whistle:
JohnG.
John could you tell me if you recall any noticeable difference between using the MU128s and the MU1000s in latency? I know this is a personal thing some people are more sensitive to it than others, but thought I'd ask your experience. I'm considering using an MU series to host some PLG cards.. More that is, I seem to have run out of room in my Motif Rack ES all of the sudden.. What is happening to me? I never heard of these things a few months ago. :D :lol:
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Mon May 06, 2019 10:24 am

To be perfectly honest, I'm unable to say with any surety. 8O

My main use of these sound modules and synth cards has been the creation of MIDI files of verious kinds. So, rather than "playing" the MU's I've just played into and recorded the MIDI. In those cases, both with the 128 and with the 1000 I've had them connected via MIDI cables via either a PCI based card (E-MU) or via PCMCIA card (also E-MU) in which the latency was, at least to me, unnoticeable. :)

Later on, when playing completed files, I used the USB interface on the 1000's in order to get more than 16 channels playing simultaneously, but in that case latency isn't an issue.

Starting around 2012, as I recall, I started to move to virtual orchestras and nowadays have made the complete transition.

So I'm afraid I can't really answer your question. :o

ATB,
JohnG.

P.S. I found your blog (?) about fitting Touchkeys to your keyboard very intreresting.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am

Haha, thanks anyway though. I keep looking at the MU2000s, and the Japanese sellers want more for them than I paid for my Motif ES, which makes me consider the MU128s, but I do like that USB. I'm mainly interested in them as 3 PLG hosts.

Just now Rudy pointed out a PC program that might work for me for polyphony across hardware racks so I may not have to get an MU to have 3 PLG polyphony in any case.

I've spent the past 2 years with software VSTs and Sample Library orchestral instruments and here I am moving into hardware, though mainly admittedly for what you can find very little of in software -- the acoustic modelling.
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon May 06, 2019 10:41 am

Oh and I'm glad you enjoyed the Touchkeys blog! I can't even login anymore to that blog I lost the password and can't retrieve it.. Though I haven't given up entirely at trying.

Touchkeys really is magnificent with modeled instruments. You get a breath controller, than you get on finger vibrato and expression control. No losing your left hand to the modwheel.
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:25 am

Yup, he's hooked. Ran out of PLG card slots, now he has to go out and find a way to host a few more... Grin!
My collection has expanded too, I have six PLG cards now.

You used to be able to get poly VL in the Yamaha SYXG100-PVL soft synth (1998) but it only ran on Windows XP. I had a registered version of the SYXG100-VL single voice VL soft synth, latency was around 35 milliseconds. Basically a software version of a PLG-VL card. The PLG cards don't seem to have any latency that I notice. That's one of the reasons why I still have the PLG cards over twenty years later. They give me superb acoustic modeling (far better than the Korg versions) lots of controllers for custom performances, and it doesn't have any latency since it's all done in hardware.

The PLG-VL cards match the VL70m and EX5 in quality, and there is a detailed editor for them, the VL-Wizard software.
The VL1 and VL7 have a higher quality of sound, but no deep editor, only the superficial Yamaha editor they came with.
I'd buy a VL1 if there was a better editor. Rudy thought about it briefly, but it looks like he's onto a new VST acoustic modeling project now.
User avatar Vanuatu
david77

Unread post by david77 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:30 am

Hi. Given the choice between a VL70m and a PLG150-VL in a host, then go for the VL70m. It will be much better to use. PLG cards were a good concept, but with a half assed implementation that made them really fiddly to program. You need the software editors functioning as well, and they have not been updated since the WINXP days. There is a 3rd party editor, but it is quite pricey.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue May 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Lol. You said it Jav. I'm a lost cause. Looks like I'm not alone!

Six of them now you've got? I thought it was 4 or 5 a bit ago. It's going to take me time to catch up, but don't count me out! I'm already looking at unused stuff around the house to hock. . . I've just been lazy keeping stuff like my old paint sprayer around, someone else will love it. The more polyphony the more potential for lush soundscapes.. and if I get one of these complicated midi routing programs working right I might even be able to MPE them and have per note vibrato/expression control for large chords which'll be interesting as I hardly ever get anything to work with MPE that wasn't already made for it.

Nice to know about the latency. I'm a bit curious as to what the VL1's unique voices are like and what'd be like to program some double VL card unison voices. I am still however sifting through the normal patches, adding them to favorites, and personalizing them.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Tue May 07, 2019 12:08 pm

I got that editor David! It was worth the money! A ton more convenient than fiddling with menus. Basically I went cards route because it's cheaper. I learned just recently that the VL70ms have the advantage of being daisy chainable together for polyphony and also the third party VL editor software will let you adjust things like reverb too with them. So they are more convenient in some ways, though you can get two PLGs for the price of one VL70m, so you have to consider the cost factor.
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:25 am

Hi Puremusic, No, I only have 3 VL cards, and an AN, an SG, and a VH card, for a total of 6 PLG cards.

Incidentally, the VH card may be the ticket to poly VL as well. It takes in one voice track and outputs a quartet based on the timbre of the input voice. You could take one ensemble VL voice and expand it into four harmony parts. Using that trick, I guess I can get 6 VL voices all at once.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 am

Ah that's a great combo! I was just wondering what else that VH could do too!

Return to “Yamaha VL1, VL7, VL-70, PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL Forum”