Yamaha Demo VL midi song files

Virtual Acoustic physical modeling synthesis mathematically simulates the sound and characteristics of acoustic instruments in real-time. This forum covers the VL1, VL7 and VL-70 as well as the PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL plug in boards.

Moderator: parametric

User avatar United States of America
javelin276

Yamaha Demo VL midi song files

Unread post by javelin276 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:31 pm

I have a collection of VL midi song files, if anyone is interested in learning what makes them tick on your VL synth.
You can download them off my website here. I have a few more besides these, but these are the best examples.
http://javelinart.com/downloads.html

The key is in using Breath Control as the main controller, although the classical example pieces use the Expression controller instead. Using just the Expression controller lacked the character of the other method since the arranger didn't use PitchBend or Modulation at all.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha Demo VL midi song files

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for these, Thor.

I may already have them, but I thought I'd grab them again, just in case. ;-)
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Germany
RaytracerFFM

Unread post by RaytracerFFM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 am

Hi Thor,

It's totally stunning how control can make such a difference! :dance:

What kind of rig / setup can take these midi files?
I merely have a VL-1.

Best
Ray
User avatar Belgium
jnm2

Unread post by jnm2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am

Never before seen (or hear) this.
Thanks javelin276.

@RaytracerFFM on his website I read something about his two PLG-VL150 in a MU2000, so...
User avatar United States of America
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Guys, You're very welcome. The files were designed by Yamaha to demonstrate the capabilities of VL using a host synth with one (or more) of the VL cards installed. You can also demo them using a VL-1, but you need to open the file in a DAW and assign each of the voices to one of your synthesizers. Assign the VL part to the VL-1, and the rest to a synth capable of general midi, preferably a Yamaha synth if you want the voices to sound like they were originally intended.

You can even demo the files in a non-VL synth, it just won't have the subtleties of sound control VL adds in. The songs were professionally done by Yamaha and sound fantastic any way they are played. Comparing the songs with and without VL are enlightening, VL adds so much solo performance into the sound.

The songs also demonstrate how much improvement you can get into a midi performance using controllers. Midi controllers are highly under utilized all across the board. Almost no one uses them to enhance a midi file. I've looked. I haven't found but a hand full of midi songs where controllers are used at all. Even the midi files sold by Yamaha on their web site don't use controllers to enhance the performances in their midi files, which is really a shame. It would greatly increase the value of their product. Plain vanilla notes just aren't enough.

Return to “Yamaha VL1, VL7, VL-70, PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL Forum”