VL randomness... very cool

Virtual Acoustic physical modeling synthesis mathematically simulates the sound and characteristics of acoustic instruments in real-time. This forum covers the VL1, VL7 and VL-70 as well as the PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL plug in boards.

Moderator: parametric

2ManyKeys
United States of America

VL randomness... very cool

Unread post by 2ManyKeys » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 pm

I spent a good portion of my weekend working on an alto sax solo for my son. What better time to get acquainted with VL! Obviously I didn't have time to play and tweak all the various parameters, but I took the LiteAlto preset and added a bit of negative breath pressure assigned to the mod wheel. The effect was very good and quickly started sounding rather natural as I simultaneously brought in subtle vibrato and backed off the tone of the sax with each mod wheel application.

After recording the MIDI performance I was playing it back and transposing some notes here and there working toward the final solo. What really struck me was how the PLG150-VL's in my MU2000 would respond slightly differently every time I played it back just like a real performer! Sometimes there might be a tiny reed squeak on a given note where other times not. I had not realized that Yamaha had gone to the degree of modeling the tiny random variations that make real playing so easy to spot. Very cool!
javelin276
United States of America

Re: VL randomness... very cool

Unread post by javelin276 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:08 pm

Physical modelers like the VL cards have that feature, usually it comes in via the breath controller. My Technics SX-WSA1 also has features like that built into the model, every single note comes out slightly different giving it a human feel.

Return to “Yamaha VL1, VL7, VL-70, PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL Forum”