Good VL-saxophones?

Virtual Acoustic physical modeling synthesis mathematically simulates the sound and characteristics of acoustic instruments in real-time. This forum covers the VL1, VL7 and VL-70 as well as the PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL plug in boards.

Moderator: parametric

User avatar Sweden
ledan

Good VL-saxophones?

Unread post by ledan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi

I spent some hours today trying to find freely available patches for the vl70m and eventually found 15 or so in a "best of" library on a wind-instrument site (only ones i could find basically). Amongst those 15, there were two fairly decent sax ones (that i could load via ex.factory into my EX5R).

Are there any other places out there with nice saxes and/or violins that you know of?

I found some VL1 sounds as well but i guess those are impossible to convert to the EX5 (??)
User avatar United States of America
puremusic

Re: Good VL-saxophones?

Unread post by puremusic » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:28 am

Hmm, I think there are some more out there, I see a list of 'best of Web', various authors, and 'WWW Downloads' in the VL70m editing software I bought from Rudy. There might be some links on his software's forum.

I am still new to the VL and editing and tweaking my tenor saxophone voice parameters for my PLG100-VL. I can't quite get the sound I heard from one fellow using a VL70m that impressed me.

You must be having great fun with that EX5R! I'd love one of those, maybe I'll get one someday! :D
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
javelin276

Unread post by javelin276 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:30 am

Yes, the VL-Wizard editor comes with a LARGE collection of new patches, including 27 Best-of-the-web ones you mentioned. Then there are collections from Bill Busch, Dan Powell, Imoxplus, Manny Fernandez, Wietze Krikke, Effects, New Reeds, then all of the factory ones that are used to make everything else from the Expert Editor, Visual Editor, and instrument Templates.

I think the older VL-One70 Librarian for the Mac may be able to convert VL1 patches to the VL70m and vice versa, but I haven't tried it yet. My Mac is down right now, unfortunately.
User avatar Sweden
ledan

Unread post by ledan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:43 am

The Ex5/R is a solid piece of gear for sure. I "think" it has more or less the vl70m inside it (some say that the VL on the EX sounds better than the 70m, but i have never heard the 70m in person so i can't tell).

I downloaded the demo version of Rudys software and got it to contact my EX5 properly (that mere fact scrolls on the display of the EX5, lol) but at first glance the UI seems to be a little confusing (for me at least). I probably need to spend some time trying it out to get acquainted to it, thats all. Also, i don't think those sound patches that was supposed to come along actually did come along with it (??).

But for you VL guys, i actually managed to dig up a very old CD from the magazine "The Mix" that i bought eons ago. On this CD was some patches that were converted from VL1 into vl70m format (by the advanced VL editor i believe). They originally came from the Yamaha site according to the PDF that came along with it.

Given the scarcity of such patches online, i did zip them up for you to try out here: http://snuskollen.ddns.net/files/VL70M_theMix_Yamaha.7z

(Many years ago i was actually in contact with the editor in chief of the old The Mix magazine asking for permission to distribute these very same patches on the now defunct EX5Tech.com site and he did approve of it. I think i sent them off to Derek (here on this forum) as well. Since i got the go-ahead then and the fact that they were downloadable from Yamaha in the past, i think this should be ok)
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Ledan were you able to get these patches to load in Rudy's software? And thanks!
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
User avatar Sweden
ledan

Unread post by ledan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:04 pm

puremusic,

If you mean those (supposedly) large amount of patches that were supposed to come with it, then no, unfortunately not.

I haven't yet tried to upload the vl70-m patches using Rudys application. But since i have a license for the ex.Factory, i used that one for the task (and it works very well tbh). Unfortunately it only gives the option of uploading the element itself (vl-wave) so one have to tweak it a bit further (afaik), but despite that, it works perfectly great to get them into the EX.

I have been in contact with Rudy and i believe that his tool will actually bring the (supposedly attached) patches over as well (but i need to try it out). Perhaps i didn't download all pieces of it, but no matter how hard i look, the don't seem to be there at all.
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:23 pm

I tried importing them once but couldn't get it to go, I may pester Rudy about it though I know he's busy as a bee right now.

Return to “Yamaha VL1, VL7, VL-70, PLG100-VL and PLG150-VL Forum”