New free & open-source program based on Yamaha styles

DAW's, Audio, MIDI, VST's and all other music software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

jjazzboss

New free & open-source program based on Yamaha styles

Unread post by jjazzboss »

Hello,

I exchanged with Saul, the site admin, who thought this could be of interest to the forum members.

I'm the (hobbyist) developer of JJazzLab, a brand new desktop application targeted to musicians who practice their instrument with backing tracks.

JJazzLab comes with some unique features compared to similar apps like Band In A Box:
  • Dynamic backing tracks: you can start a solo slowly and build up the atmosphere
  • Rhythmic accents support
  • Support of Yamaha styles, plus a new extended YamJJazz style format for more variations
  • The infrastructure is released as an open-source framework: JJazzLab-X
You'll find more information on the web site or in the video demos: jjazzlab com

Feedback welcome ! :D

Jerome (also owner of a Yamaha MOXF8)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: New free & open-source program based on Yamaha styles

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Jerome. Good to see you on the forum :)

Would be interested to hear from people who have tried your software. Looks interesting, especially with the support for Yamaha styles (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

jjazzboss

A quick update:
- I added a zip file on the jjazzlab website with more than 2500 songs at the JJazzLab format. It's mainly jazz/latin standards as found in the real books.
- As I get more and more questions by emails I just created today a user forum dedicated to JJazzLab users, for technical support and also to share song files at the JJazzLab format (.sng files).

Everything is on the jjazzlab website :D

jjazzboss

I've just released JJazzLab v2.0... 8)

With this new version it's even easier to make awesome-sounding backing tracks in a few minutes.

New features:
- Much better sounds thanks to a new high-quality soundfont (>300MB!)
- Better rendering of Yamaha styles (full SFF1 & SFF2 format support)
- 300 embedded rhythms, plus access to thousands of Yamaha style files

Of course it's still 100% free (download from the jjazzlab web site) and the relying framework is 100% open-source.

Feedback welcome !

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

Hi JJazzboss,

I've been trying the program out and have managed to make a "track" . . . .

It's 4/4 using romanticballad.s725.prs

Sounds nice with that Soundfont Pack you suggest ((i))

Just one question about Slash Chords, e.g. Gb/Bb . . . .

It is my understanding that this should sound a Gb Chord with a Bb in the Bass . . . . ?

I have a bar (bar 16) written with Gb sounding for the first 2 beats, Beat 3 is Abm and beat 4 is Gb/Bb . . .

(creating a scale in the Bass) Gb, Ab, Bb . .

Beat 4 however plays back as a Gb chord with a Gb in the Bass despite having Gb/Bb written in . . . (IYSWIM) . . . .

Is this perhaps the Style file taking over - or is there something I've missed . . . ?
Newsong1.zip
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

jjazzboss

Is this perhaps the Style file taking over - or is there something I've missed . . . ?
I checked your file and... congrats you found a new bug ! ((i)) It should play a Bb indeed. I'll prepare a fix.

There is a workaround in your case: double click the Gb/Bb, Interpretation Panel, select "Hold" (you could also select Gb/Bb and press play 'p' several times). This will force JJazzLab to play the bass note and hold it (as it's a ballad and the bass is already playing hold notes, it does not change anything...).

See the online doc page "Editors/Chord Leadsheet" for more info about the interpretation modes.

For info: when you use a slash chord like F/Eb, the impact is only to replace any bass instrument's note "F" by a "Eb". If the bass line plays root and 5th (eg F and C), you'll get Eb and C. I have plans to add an option for slash chords so that JJazzLab replaces all bass instrument's notes by the specified bass note.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

jjazzboss wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:24 pm
I checked your file and... congrats you found a new bug ! ((i)) It should play a Bb indeed. I'll prepare a fix.
GLAD to be of service! - it's the first USEFUL thing I've done for quite a while :lol:

Seriously - THANKS for replying so quickly . . . . I think JJazzLab is a really interesting and useful little App.

I don't actually use styles at all in my compositions, so I have no experience with them, but I have to say that the few I've auditioned

in JL DO seem to create a pleasing result. I suppose the intermediate stage is to write your own styles? . . . .

But then you're almost up to writing the damn dots on the score :lol:

I'll check out that workaround - THANKS for that! and I'll continue to have a play with JL when time allows . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

jjazzboss

Thank you very much for the comments
I suppose the intermediate stage is to write your own styles? . . . .
Actually not really. JJazzLab is first and foremost a jam buddy, to practice your instrument and have fun improvising. You spend a few minutes making your jam track, and then you can practice for hours ! :lol:

The more "advanced" stage would be to design complex backing tracks. I attached an example I made yesterday. It's a jazz/fusion song I love from Pat Metheny Group, "And then I knew". Complex structure, different ambiances, many rhythmic arrangements... Yet with JJazzLab you can get a decent backing track with a minimal effort.
PMG-AndThenIKnew.zip
(7.43 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
AndThenIKnew-score.PDF
(211.24 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
The original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdhyScR2_k
Last edited by parametric on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the Video Link . . . ;-)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

That workaround works just fine . . . Thanks . . .

"And then I knew" is a great piece - tasty Guitar soloing . . . .

I fixed the video link . . . . :wink:

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate