Translator Pro 7

DAW's, Audio, MIDI, VST's and all other music software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Translator Pro 7

Unread post by parametric »

Translator Pro 7 is a Software by ChickenSystems that will Sample both internal and External Instruments and

reiterate them in MANY Formats including the Popular Kontakt and SoundFont formats and even the Alesis Fusion

(I own 2 of them)

The list of format handled, both "To" and "From" is impressive to say the least . . . .

I purchased it primarily to Sample my Yamaha Sy85 Synth and create a Kontakt Instrument . . . . . .

It became available in version 7, introducing x64 compatibility, and offered at a special price . . So I went for it . . . .

Of special interest to me is it's AutoSampler feature, which automates the arduous task of sampling a specified range of

notes, at a number of velocities (you choose). It then moves to the next "Voice" and repeats until the specified

"number" has been done . . . . .

Fine and Dandy . . . . . . imagine a BANK of 64 voices (Bank 1 of 4 on the SY85)

My setup is my Laptop, an HP Pavilion Quad core 8GB Ram, an Akai EIE Pro Audio/Midi I/F (4 IN/4 OUT) + the SY85

connected via DIN-Midi and the Line outs of the SY going to Audio 1 and 2 INPUTS of the EIE Pro.

Laptop EIE Pro and SY85.JPG
Akai EIE Pro.JPG
Translator Pro AutoSampler.JPG

Latest Drivers for Win10 x64 Home found and installed for the EIE Pro - and all is fine in <device manager>

To CHECK the installation, I recorded a quick track in Reaper, using this setup - inputting midi using the SY85,

then having the Audio of the SY triggered by playback of the recorded midi track, Recorded by Reaper on a new

Track as Audio. . .

ALL Fine. :clap:

Setting up Translator 7 similarly . . .The Midi <test> button in the GUI produces audio over Phones plugged into the

EIE Pro. The Audio <test> button produces Sound in the Phones, but no visual confirmation in the GUI meters. :(

Un-clicking either <test> button stops the test . . . . :clap:

I set up for sampling every minor third, for 8 seconds over 3 octaves, at 3 velocities, and for 64 programs (Voice Bank 1)

Initating <record>, the first "note" sounds in the phones, but (still) no visual confirmation in the GUI. :naughty:

After 8 seconds, the sound remains - and stays and stays and stays. Clicking <pause> no effect . . . . :naughty:

Closing TP7 - the sound stays . . . . Reboot required to shut the sound OFF . . . :naughty:

A bug report is filled in and sent - and that is where I am NOW . . . . . I'll wait and see . . . . :roll:

Grumbles: The Manual is still at V6. The AutoSampler online Video only deals with sampling Kontakt . . . . .

Interesting and useful, but not what I want. Sampling an internal instrument requires internal routing of midi

and Audio, which is well enough described in the vid, but the ETERNAL case is NOT described vis-a-vis routing . . . . .

Here's the video - what do you think? This looks to be a GREAT program and I dearly want it to WORK . . . . :lol:

parametric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Macke on Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed youtube link

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Re: Translator Pro 7

Bug Report acknowledged and the problem is being looked into . . . . (Y)

Chris

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Progress on the whole disappointing . . . . .

My first Bug Report contained the following info . . . . .
TP7 build 2 x64

Windows10 Home x64 with latest update.

HP Pavilion Laptop

Akai EIEPro USB2 Audio/Midi I/F connected via USB2

Latest Win10 Drivers

Yamaha SY85 Synth connected via DIN-Midi to EIE Pro

Yamaha Audio OUT L+R connected to Akai I/P 1 + 2

Phones connected to EIE Pro for monitoring

Midi Tests in AutoSampler and audible in phones.

Audio Test is AUDIBLE IN PHONES, but NOTHING in TP Meters?

Proceeding to . . . . .

Recording starts - BUT Still no confirmation in meters - but CAN HEAR Audio in Phones.

The set duration of 8sec comes and goes, but nothing is recorded. The three velocities set DON'T occur, and the next pitch never occurs.

The process never repeats, or completes.

The initial sound remains in the phones and cannot be cancelled.

Even forcing a shutdown of TP7 doesn't stop the Audio.

Have to reboot to achieve this . . . .

I have viewed the AutoSampler Video, but it is for TP6 and for sampling INTERNAL instruments (Kontakt)

Likewise the Manual is still at V6

any chance of a video for sampling from an EXTERNAL Synth (with MIDI-DIN) as the requirements to configure are significantly different?

As the "Source" is effectively a recording of the Synth's O/P, I can't include it, but instead have included some screen shots of TP7 at various stages.

Hope this helps to find out what is wrong . . .

The EIE Pro is present and correct in Device Manager - with latest Drivers - and works fine with my DAW (Reaper)...
win TP7 IO AutoSampler.jpg
win TP7 IO AutoSampler placement.jpg
win TP7 IO AutoSampler commence record.jpg
win TP7 AutoSampler no audio at meters.jpg
win TP7 AutoSampler inrecord mode.jpg
ChickenSys Response:
Try using the WASAPI drivers.

Are you using WASAPI drivers or ASIO ones?
My reply:
In response to your question, see the pic I sent . . .

I am using the Akai EIE Pro MIDI driver for Midi, and the Akai EIE Pro ASIO Driver for Audio.

I have attempted to upload a zip of the Drivers from akai I used . . the 64 bit ones in my case . . .I can SELECT - but there is no upload dialog afterwards?
I eventually emailed them in order to upload further files . . . .

I Said:
At 08:16 PM 4/28/2020, I wrote:
> Please find attached screen grabs detailed in the latest answer in the above Issue number.
> I WAS originally using the Asio Drivers from Akai, for the EIE Pro Audio/Midi Interface.
> The screen grabs are using the Windows WASAPI Drivers for Audio
> I've attached the Akai Asio Drivers for the EIE Pro for Windows (I'm using 64bit)
They Replied:
We suggest using WASAPI drivers.

Windows has a real bad ability and tendency to grab drivers as exclusive. This means that a program - even a browser - can hold onto a driver and not let any other app possess it or use it. Look into that.
I Updated, within the Bug Report form as follows:
I uninstalled and removed the driver for the EIE PRO ASIO AUDIO DRIVER

Then started TP7

In Operations/Options - selecting WASPI:

The EIE PRO is no longer recognised and therefore not selectable in the rest of the GUI

Neither is it recognised with Direct Sound OR MME

The Akai EIE Pro Asio Drivers are essential for this £200 I/F

The Device Manager correctly reports both Midi and Audio sections of the EIE Pro all present and correct.

This arrangement works perfectly with Reaper . . . Recording both Audio and Midi through the Unit.

I can only conclude that there is something about the TP7 SW that is disallowing the Audio input to the Unit.

Selecting the Windows WASAPI for AUDIO in the Window

Reports as follows:

Audio Outputs Akai EIE Pro

Audio INPUTS (Line IN EIE Pro Err Code - invalid device

Retrying the Audio Test gives two error boxes

1) Failed to initialise and open the audio Stream

2) An error of the description "Nil Object Exception" has occurred

Please report to CS etc . . .

(What I was doing - was conducting the Audio Test)

(I have sent screen grabs to support@cs.com)
Wasapi Audio error 1.jpg
Wasapi Audio error 2.jpg
After a week of "Nothing", I updated the Bug report further:
Any Progress on getting TP7 to work with ASIO Drivers?
Nothing Since.

I consider $150 is sufficient to expect SW that WORKS . . . . ?

<Device Manager> reports everything fine with the EIE Pro which has the latest ASIO drivers from Akai for both Audio and Midi

Reaper records both Midi and Audio through The Akai with no problem . . . .

I feel I have been handed the task to sort out WHY TP7 won't work with WASAPI in Windows 10. . .

I don't believe I have the skills to do this, nor should I be being asked to do so . . . ?

It will be interesting to see how long this is "left to lie" until something is done . . . .

Perhaps I should have been wary that the video tutorials are all on a Mac?

. . . . and that SOS have never (to my knowledge) reviewed TP . . . . ?

If I hear anything further - I will update this thread . . . . .

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Just now received a further response:
ASIO is tough to use in Windows programmatically. This is just using the AutoSampler, ASIO isn't necessary and you should have WASAPI drivers.
I replied:
8th May 2020 - As my previous entry states - if the WASAPI Driver is used - The EIE Pro Unit is NOT recognised, and therefore not selectable in TP7's GUI. Therefore I cannot use WASAPI
Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Some more progress on this:

EXISTING PROBLEM:-

The Akai EIE Pro Audio/midi I/F uses ASIO (Akai provide ASIO Drivers specifically for the EIE Pro)

Akai EIE Pro.png
Akai EIE Pro back.png

There are NO WASAPI Drivers for it.

TP7 does NOT detect the ASIO Driver for AUDIO - and so cannot SEE the EIE Pro . . . . .

After some poking around, I found an ASIO2WASAPI Driver - sourceforge.net/projects/asio2wasapi/
Many media player programs can be configured to stream audio into an ASIO driver. This helps to ensure that the audio stream reaches sound hardware without any modifications by intermediary software components. Unfortunately, manufacturers of many common audio devices do not provide ASIO drivers. For example, many USB DACs rely on Windows/MacOS native USB audio drivers and do not come with any hardware-specific drivers. The universal ASIO driver ASIO2WASAPI addresses this problem for Windows Vista or later by providing an ASIO-compliant layer above the low-level audio API WASAPI, supported by every Windows audio device. It multiplexes a multichannel ASIO stream into a single WASAPI stream, without changing the very audio samples. ASIO2WASAPI uses so called WASAPI exclusive mode, specifically its event-driven, or “pull” variant. The audio stream does not pass through a Windows mixer or any of the Windows’s audio processing objects (APOs) that are often not bit-transparent.
Installing it, certainly solved the problem for ME. (Y)

The pic below shows the number of options NOW available in the TP7 I/O dropdown. . . . . .
TP7 AutoSampler Audio Drivers.jpg
You can see the Akai-provided Asio Drivers there for the EIE Pro, including the WASAPI-adorned one I used . . . ((i))

The NEXT problem is that - after sampling the FIRST Preset - the Autosampler is meant to send a midi command to

the attached Synth, to move to the next Preset and commence the next sampling run . . . .

Either is it NOT sending the command - OR - it's sending a wrong one.*

So the Synth does NOT advance one preset - but the sampling recommences on the SAME preset :doh:

I'm satisfied that MIDI is WORKING, inasmuch as I selected to sample every 3 semitones in a 61 note range,

and at 3 velocities for each note. THIS seems to be happening and is confirmed audibly and visibly in the GUI (Y)

*The program-change (+1) command seems to be internalised - as I can find no dialog to edit it - so it's going to be

interesting to see how this is fixed.

Here is a tutorial on how the Autosampler Module in Translator Pro Works . . . . .

Chris
Last edited by parametric on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for all that info Chris. Seems like a mountain to climb in order to achieve something that should have been incorporated into the software in the first place. ASIO is an extremely popular format. This is the first time I have come across WASAPI.

I have never heard that
ASIO is tough to use in Windows programmatically
. Perhaps it is, I don't know. I do know that it does not seem to have been a problem for most other software producers to implement. I am not a programmer but I would have thought that in order to reach the largest audience for a product you would use one of the most common formats?

Perhaps it is more to do with licensing than the complexities of programability? ASIO after all belongs to Steinberg :think:

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

My feeling too, Saul . . . .
Garth @ ChickenSys in a recent exchange mentioned that Translator had been around for about 18 years and had been rock solid.

Perhaps there's a clue inasmuch as the tutorial is done on a Mac and (IIRC) the graphics in the manual look to be "Mac"

These days it shouldn't matter, surely?

In my latests test, I left the Sy85 on Performance 0 (zero) or A1 in Yamaha-speak . . .

I had asked it to sample Performance 08 and 09 . . . .

What SHOULD have happened, is the Synth should have moved to 08, sampled THAT and then moved to 09 and sampled THAT.

What actually happened is that it stayed on 0 and sampled it TWICE . . . .

I find it hard to believe that in 18 Years, NO-ONE has noticed that the SW doesn't increment :o

. . . it's the CORE to labelling it AUTOSampler, surely?

If TP7 can work as expected - it IS incredibly powerful . . . . . Look at this:

TP7 Supported Formats1.png
TP7 Supported Formats2.png

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

IF this software worked as we think it should I would invest in it myself! But my experiences with Sample Robot put me off. It is supposed to automate the process but there is a lot of user input still needed and to me, that is not what I need in this sort of software.

Maybe there is a Mac issue here, Derek may know more about that as his software is cross-platform?

It's such a shame. Have you come across others who have that same issue where it does not incrementally sample?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
FailedMuso

VIP

Unread post by FailedMuso »

parametric wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:26 am My feeling too, Saul . . . .
Garth @ ChickenSys in a recent exchange mentioned that Translator had been around for about 18 years and had been rock solid.
This statement from Chicken Systems is pretty misleading. Yes, Translator has been around for a very long time (and it is beyond me how) but it has never been anywhere near "rock solid".

I could write a very long post about my experiences with Chicken Systems as a developer and as an individual, about how they over-promise and under-deliver. About how they always shift the blame for issues back to the customer. About how they racially abused one customer in the KvR forums many years ago, mocking his name and ethnicity. About how they threatened legal action against my colleague Steve Howell when, after Steve had contracted them to create a dedicated sample installation package, they delivered a product that simply did not work and Steve refused to pay them. And about how applications like the free Fusion Convertor simply did not work and how Alesis dropped them like a stone.

It doesn't take much effort to search the internet and find countless instances of people complaining about the product, the business and its owner. He spends a lot of time lurking in numerous forums and Facebook groups and he spends the majority of his time defending his product and reputation in the same manner he does elsewhere. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he popped up here and had a go at me! It's happened plenty of times elsewhere.

I would heartily recommend using Apple's Mainstage for what you are trying to achieve, but I see you are Windows-based.

Have you considered Samplit by the team behind CDXtract? I've not used it but it is an alternative.

https://www.soundlib.com/samplit/

I see Saul has mentioned SampleRobot already. I can't think of any others for Windows. We are spoilt in the Mac world with the AutoSampler function in Mainstage which is essentially the Redmatica tool that Apple bought a number of years ago.

I can only wish you luck in your ongoing "adventures" :)

Rob Puricelli
FAILEDMUSO.COM SOS Podcasts
Freelance Music Technologist, Writer, Podcaster, Consultant & Fairlight Restoration
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

FailedMuso wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:40 pm
parametric wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:26 am My feeling too, Saul . . . .
This statement from Chicken Systems is pretty misleading. Yes, Translator has been around for a very long time (and it is beyond me how) but it has never been anywhere near "rock solid".

I could write a very long post about my experiences with Chicken Systems as a developer and as an individual, about how they over-promise and under-deliver. About how they always shift the blame for issues back to the customer. About how they racially abused one customer in the KvR forums many years ago, mocking his name and ethnicity. About how they threatened legal action against my colleague Steve Howell when, after Steve had contracted them to create a dedicated sample installation package, they delivered a product that simply did not work and Steve refused to pay them. And about how applications like the free Fusion Convertor simply did not work and how Alesis dropped them like a stone.
Citing my own experiences - I can't say I disagree with you.

Like many other owners of Alesis Fusions (I have one of each) I became aware of them via the Fusion Creator

that Alesis supplied . . . .

THAT application actually worked for me. I created a bank of vocal samples I needed for a composition . . . .

The Composition (Rain) is at the bottom of this post:

https://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/v ... 898#p63898

I later "acquired" the Fusion CONVERTER as a beta-tester, but the AutoSampler (which I was mainly interested in)

simply didn't work - and I gave up hoping it ever would . . . . I still have it, but have not looked at it since . . . .

The opportunity to buy Translator Pro7 came along at a discount - so I reasoned that being the Flagship Product it would

a) WORK and b) cover the Fusion (which it does) . . . . I had recently acquired Komplete11 Ultimate, so Kontakt

was covered also - and is the main source of interest now . . . .

The rest is detailed in THIS thread - and I have a bug report submitted about the failure of the AutoSampler to increment

HOW can it be described as an AUTO Sampler if it does NOT increment? I await a response.

I FEEL it is SUCH A SHAME that such a promising piece of software is SPOILED by simply NOT being finished . . . . . :(

[/Rant]

I'm shocked to read about the conflict with Steve. I had no idea. I had a number of email "discussions" with Steve

before his untimely Death and found him to be a totally delightful individual.

I'd have LOVED to have a chat with him over a few Beers. . . . .

BTW - LOVED your book of condolence for Steve on the HS Site. A fitting tribute - I signed it immediately . . . .

I DID read somewhere that CS had licenced some aspects of translator to NI . . . . . .. Hmm . . . . .
FailedMuso wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:40 pm It doesn't take much effort to search the internet and find countless instances of people complaining about the product, the business and its owner. He spends a lot of time lurking in numerous forums and Facebook groups and he spends the majority of his time defending his product and reputation in the same manner he does elsewhere. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he popped up here and had a go at me! It's happened plenty of times elsewhere.

I would heartily recommend using Apple's Mainstage for what you are trying to achieve, but I see you are Windows-based.

Have you considered Samplit by the team behind CDXtract? I've not used it but it is an alternative.

https://www.soundlib.com/samplit/

I see Saul has mentioned SampleRobot already. I can't think of any others for Windows. We are spoilt in the Mac world with the AutoSampler function in Mainstage which is essentially the Redmatica tool that Apple bought a number of years ago.

I can only wish you luck in your ongoing "adventures" :)
If Translator doesn't materialise in a usable state, I may well spring for SampleRobot.

My recent request for a refund due to "not fit for purpose" was rejected as it was way past the time for . . . .

and, in any case we don't give refunds (officially anyway . . . )

To me - it sounds like a (not too veiled) warning NOT to buy American Software . . . . . .?

Sad - and SO unnecessary . . .

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

So they are saying that even though the product doesn't do what it is supposed to do it is just hard luck, we have your money so bugger off!

I think I will be giving them some free publicity, just so people know what the score is and what the more reliable alternatives are ;)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Thanks Saul - I tend to agree, though could you move it down the To-do list for the time being?

I received a
Thanks, am checking . . .
response from Garth, and would like to (at least) give him the chance to fix it, if possible?

Cheers

Chris 8-)

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Sure I can do that but it should have been working straight out of the box. The customer should not have to do all this chasing to get what they paid for. Let's see how it goes.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

Of Course it should have worked Saul, I agree . . . .

. . . Well, I sorted the WASAPI issue out MYSELF - so it's a step forwards . . . . .

I DID eventually make ONE Kontakt instrument - and it works . . .

It's from the Internal Performance Bank 2 of the SY85, Named B1 CO DXStr

The CO denotes "combination" - I guess at DX Piano and Strings . . . ?

I'll zip it up here so you can try it (should work in the free Player I guess?)
SY85 Instrument.zip
I'm a real beginner at this stuff . . . .

To keep it short (until the incrementing thing is sorted) I sampled C2 - C7, notes D and A in each octave and Three velocities.

It's a bit sparse as a result. When it all works, I'll probably do C, D#, F#, A, in each octave . . . . .

Latency is significant, and too much for me as it stands. I shall try it on my DT system to see if it's different/better

There is way more lag than playing that patch on the SY itself (understandably) but I'm not sure how, or if, I can fix it?

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate