The KORG Triton Reinvented!

DAW's, Audio, MIDI, VST's and all other music software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

The KORG Triton Reinvented!

Unread post by Saul »

KORG Triton Collection.png
I have been waiting for this for a very long time and now it is finally here. The complete KORG Triton in software :dance:

I hope Yamaha are paying attention here? This is the way you do virtual instruments. Climb into the 21st Century and roll out software versions of the SY77, SY99, EX5 etc. Yamaha have a huge catalog of fantastic instruments they could bring into the virtual world but no...they keep their heads very firmly stuck in the sand and pretend it is not happening all around them. :/:

Anyway back to KORG :)

I have owned three Triton's in the past. Two Classic Tritons and one Triton Studio. Fantastic keyboards and super high build quality. I had often considered buying another but I just don't have the space for it. Also not sure I can put up with things like SCSI and lack of USB connectivity these days. The EXB cards are also not that easy to get hold of and can be pricey.

So a virtual KORG Triton is just perfect for me and this one comes with all the EXB-PCM cards too! (Y)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w02vgKHBb8M

Some have commented that it is too expensive and I guess I kind of agree, it is on the high side but as we all know, development costs on something like this will be massive and compared with Yamaha, KORG are a relatively small company so they will definitely need to recoup those costs and make a profit into the bargain.

I'm on the fence with it. On the one hand I would really love to have the software but on the other the price does make me think :think: Might have to leave it until later in the new year but I have no doubt I will get it eventually. It is way too good an instrument not to have in my virtual library.

What do you think? Are KORG now leading the way in bringing their legacy instruments into the software world? Should Yamaha be doing the same and would you buy a "Virtual SY77" if it were available?

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Re: The KORG Triton Reinvented!

Unread post by Derek »

Personally I think Yamaha should hang their head in shame. Korg and Roland are trailblazing in bringing their old synths to life in VST form, and this is another example.

There is so much excellent Yamaha synth technology that I would love to see in VST form: CS80, EX5, FS1r, AN1x, VL70m, DX7 (not to fussed on it myself, but for completeness). Why? Well I would be able to downsize my studio a little.

Personally I do not think the price is too bad for a high quality VST (and compare it to the cost of the original). But if you are not in a rush, there is sure to be a sale at some point....

Probably not one I would go for myself, as I never had the original, and I have the Kronos.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Well that's the thing isn't it Derek. We would love to own all these wonderful keyboards but even if we could track them down and afford them...well, how many of us have the sort of space to house them all AND keep them plugged in and in use? I know I don't.

Maybe Yamaha just don't have the technical expertise to pull it off? We assume they are this huge company with endless resources but I think perhaps they have spread themselves a bit too thin over the last few years. Even Casio are pulling ahead in certain areas and who ever thought that would happen?

Roland and KORG are a masterclass in how to leverage income from legacy products without the overheads of recreating the actual hardware.

I am at a complete loss as to why Yamaha are lagging so far behind. Perhaps it is just an area they are not interested in. Maybe they have played it safe too long and are not able to step outside their comfort zone?

I recently had a chance to buy another KORG Triton for around £180.00 but something held me back. Maybe the money would now be better invested in the software. Still thinking about it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

I do not think it is lack of technical skill that is the issue. The Montage is one of their finest synths and a lot of expertise goes into it (along with the stupid quirks ;) ) . It is a question of prioritisation and direction I think. Also compared to Korg and Roland, Yamaha is a huge behemoth which means it is leas fleet footed and there are corporate politics in play. I hope one day that they see the error of their ways.

I still maintain that on of the main strengths of the Kronos is how it plays on Korg’s earlier heritage. HD-1 has Wave Sequencing in it from the Wavestation, and of course HD-1 is an evolution of AI from the Triton. Karma comes from, well, the Korg Karma, and you have emulations of the CX-3 Organ and MS20 and Polysix synths - but then Korg really up the ante with AL-1. And the Kronos is of course itself an evolution (in a cheaper form factor) of the OASYS keyboard, itself an evolution of the original OASYS PCI concept.

Maybe a smaller company will be more savvy in making use of priovious tech. In addition to what is in the Kronos, then you have other classic emulations (M1, Wavestation , Monopoly and now Tritonus), the Gadget paradigm etc. And this is all on top of the hardware.

Yamaha seem almost wasteful in comparison. Why spend resources developing FDSP (EX5), AN (AN1x/EX5) and VL (VL1, VL70m and EX5), Formant synthesis (FS1r) , etc - all amazing tech - to just drop them and let them wither. As much as I love Yamaha, this dropping of technology really frustrates me.

At least FM-X in the Montage brings back half the FS1r (but why no formant processing?) and brings back a dual engine that is at least SY77 like in character, but Yamaha could do much better. I still live in hope that there is more to come with the Montage, but we will see....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

tux
Location.: Europe

Unread post by tux »

Correct me if I'm mistaken but that VST is only the ROMpler part of the Triton, not the far more interesting MOSS board or even the sampling option.

Personally I think it's therefore way overpriced, there are tons of ROMpler VSTs out there and the Triton ROMpler part is nothing special for current standards.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Well the Triton didn't come with the MOSS board as standard and the sampling is pointless as you are better off using a software sampler like Kontakt or similar.

I am not aware of any other software versions of the Triton that fully replicate it or sound like it but if you know of some I would be happy to take a look?

The price? Yeah it is quite high compared to other KORG software instruments such as the M1 and Wavestation....long overdue a makeover by the way.

I am still not sure about it. If it were cheaper I would probably jump on it but the price has me procrastinating. :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

tux
Location.: Europe

Unread post by tux »

Well, the EXB cards didn't come as standard in the Triton either but they did include those in the VST, so why not the MOSS board which is far more interesting than some additional outdated samples?

And the sampling option would have been interesting because it would allow custom samples to be played through the Triton synth engine, which is not the same as Kontakt. Also Kontakt costs a lot of money too, including the sampling option would have made the Triton VST a bit better value for money.

But anyway, the only reason I considered buying a second hand Triton Rack in the past was the MOSS board, so since that's not included in the VST, the VST has no value for me.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

They may be holding the MOSS board back as an "upgrade" An opportunity for more revenue?

I would happily have a hardware Triton here but I really don't have the space. The software version would be fine but at the current price it is not an impulse buy. Let's see what 2020 brings and if that price drops a bit.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr