Copying recorded music from Clavinova

DAW's, Audio, MIDI, VST's and all other music software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Copying recorded music from Clavinova

Unread post by parametric » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi <goble>

I think you are in a place that many of us find ourselves.

You've created a composition at your instrument, using a "Voice" of your choosing - and now wish to go further with it.

Exporting the midi file to you PC and playing it back THERE - it sounds different to playing it back in the Keyboard.

This is because the soundcard in you PC has its own "Piano" (or whatever you used) rather than the one that lives inside your keyboard.

You CAN point the midi stream from your computer, back to your keyboard's midi-in - and with suitable setting adjustments - the stream will then sound like you remember . .

You now have the ability to EDIT the midi (inside your DAW/Sequencer) to whatever extent you like.

With the midi now edited, its a question of where do you want to go next?

If your instrument is a WORKSTATION - it can probably record the midi stream, so you edited midi ends up back inside your instrument - and you can play it back with its original VOICE.

If your instrument is a Piano (Clavinova) - it possibly can't record an incoming midi stream.

The solution then is to allow your computer to PLAY the midi file back to your Piano/Keyboard and RECORD the AUDIO output - (which should be the sound of your original chosen voice) as a .wav or whatever, which you can burn to CD or convert to .mp3 if you wish . . .

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
goble
Mauritius

Unread post by goble » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:00 am

Hello all,

just to give an update. I had a video / audio grabber, the model is here: http://easycapexpertti.mybisi.com/produ ... av-grabber. It was lying in a drawer. I just connected a cable from it to the Audio L+R Jacks of the keyboard. And tada.... Audacity can record now.

However a question, I don't know anything about midi connection. Would it be better for me to use the USB to midi thing ? Better sound, more possibilities ?

Thanks again for your precious help !
stearman65

Unread post by stearman65 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:05 am

Great news about Audacity, sorry I can't help with Midi. Any Audacity questions, I'm your man.
Stearman65.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:36 am

Great to hear you solved the Audacity problem. Once you have any audio input then of course Audacity will be able to see it :)

As for midi, your not going to get better "sound" as midi is all about the transfer of data not sound. It does however open up a whole world of possibilities. Not only can you record what your playing in midi to a software sequencer, you can then manipulate that data in all sorts of ways. Plus of course there are hundred of thousands of midi files you can download from the web and playback through your keyboard.

Get yourself a Midi/Usb interface and we can go from there. Oh but be careful which one you buy. There are a lot of really cheap ones on Ebay but not all of them work very well. Better to go for a well known make and possibly save yourself a lot of hassle getting it up and running :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “Music Software Forum”