Connecting QY100 to DAW

DAW's, Audio, MIDI, VST's and all other music software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Wagstar

Connecting QY100 to DAW

Unread post by Wagstar » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 am

Hi, I have a Yamaha QY100 Music Sequencer. I've moved up to using DAW's but I want to be able to connect my QY100 and play it into my DAW (Reason Essentials) I have a MIDI to USB cable that has a green light on it that comes on when connected but I cannot get anything from the QY100 to show up on the DAW. I delved into the setttings and there is a fair bit of options (above my head) I tried a couple of different settings but I could be at it all week and not get it right! Does anyone have any advice please that would allow me to play from my QY100 to a DAW. I have a Windows PC running Windows 10.

Any help or advice anyone can offer will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Connecting QY100 to DAW

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am

I have zero personal experience with MIDI-to-USB cables, because all of my keyboards have USB ports. However, I've seen references to a few things that might be pertinent to your issue:

(1) Some MIDI-to-USB cables-- especially the cheaper "no name" ones-- are apparently unreliable in quality and performance. However, this might possibly be related to the next issue.

(2) Some MIDI-to-USB cables seem to be incompatible with 64-bit operating systems-- presumably something related to drivers. Most MIDI-to-USB cables don't need drivers of their own, because they're supposed to work with your OS's default MIDI driver, but some companies do provide drivers on their websites just in case anyone needs them. However, some companies who make cheap MIDI-to-USB cables apparently don't provide any drivers for their products, and might not even have a website! If you're using a 64-bit OS, you might want to try a MIDI-to-USB cable from a company who has a website and who has a 64-bit driver available for your particular OS.

(3) Some MIDI-to-USB cables seem to be incompatible with USB 3 ports. If your computer has both USB 3 and USB 2 ports, and if you've got the MIDI-to-USB cable plugged into a USB 3 port, try switching it over to a USB 2 port instead and see if that resolves the issue. I'm not sure why this should make a difference, since USB 3 is supposed to be backward-compatible with USB 2, but it might be related to drivers, or possibly even to data transmission speeds.

(4) One person reported that he was unable to get an older Yamaha keyboard to work on his 64-bit system using any of the MIDI-to-USB cables that he tried, but he did eventually get it to work by buying the Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI Interface and installing Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver for his 64-bit OS.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Wagstar

Unread post by Wagstar » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi, thank you so much for replying, my PC is a 64 bit, and the MIDI cable came from eBay and it is unbranded, when I bought it i thought it was going to be too easy! Bizarrely as a test I connected the QY100 from the "Line Out" socket then to the "Mic In" on my PC with a Jack to Jack cable, I then loaded Audacity and solo'd each track and the quality was good enough for my demo purposes, but Audacity would not record it! Reason Essentials just wasn't interested in it full stop. I seem to have real bad luck with DAW's and connecting guitars and stuff to them, it is such a shame that you can't record Guitars and vocals onto the QY100, the machine would be perfect if it could!

Thank you again for your info, you've been really helpful. Take care, all the best. Wagstar.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:45 am

Hi Wagstar, and welcome to the Forums . . . .

All good points from Michael there . . . .

I your ebay midi I/F is one of these:
cheap midi interface.JPG
cheap midi interface.JPG (17.64 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
I can confirm that I tried one of these and couldn't make it work . . .

It is almost certainly a driver problem. Once the driver is right, the device should be recognised by Reason without issue.

What you are trying to do is not unreasonable or hard . . . I managed to record the midi output from my Fusion's onboard sequencer straight into Reaper and it worked perfectly.

I was then able to play the song back in Reaper, and have the Fusion correctly play all the sounds, just the same as if I had played it back from the Fusion . . . .

As Mike mentioned, a slightly better midi I/F from a "named" manufacturer will most likely solve the issue.

Depending on what you have in mind for your Music in the future - it can either be a simple midi I/F or (probably a better choice), an Audio/Midi I/F, since you mention Guitar/Vocal.

I went with an Akai EIE Pro which has 4 Audio (mic/line) and midi and works fine with Windows10 64 bit - though it may be more than you want to pay. There is also a Akai EIE (In red) which is slightly cheaper . . .

No matter, there are many options far cheaper than these from such as Behringer, Focusrite, Roland, Yamaha, M-Audio - any of which will probably do just fine . . .

DO do the research on the drivers though.

I can confirm that the USB-3/USB-2 oddity IS an issue for no very good reason . . . . (IMO)

My Akai EIE Pro, when connected to my laptop by USB-3 only registers TWO Audio Ports, however, when connected to the USB-2 port, all four are available.

Backward compatability seems to be a bit of a mess with certain devices . . . . .

By all means, try your ebay I/F with usb-2 - perhaps it will work?

Good Luck!

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Wagstar

Unread post by Wagstar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am

Hi parametric, thank you for your advice, it really is greatly appreciated, and yes, my MIDI to USB cable does look like the one in the picture, just been to eBay and there are Yamaha cables for around £30 so that maybe worth a go. I am quite possibly the unluckiest person on the planet when it comes to getting things to work virtually, I bought a USB 4 Channel Mixer with USB interface from Alesis to connect my Electric Guitar to Reason Essentials, it didn't seem to matter what setting i used I could get the guitar to be heard and recognized by Reason, but none of the Amp effects on Reason would work, I only ever got a clean sound, not the distorted sound I love. So I thought my best route would be to connect my guitar with the Yamaha QY100 and use it's guitar effects (which although not spoilt for choice had good enough sounds for my purposes) and record straight onto Reason that way, but it just won't have it.

The wife is getting pretty annoyed with me buying additional equipment with me claiming that "I'll never need to buy another piece of kit again, once I've bought this" to find after I've bought it all she can hear is swear words and no results!

As a Songwriter I have found a nice order in the way I write songs, so i need to set myself up the right way. What I am trying to achieve is this:

A platform where I can first of all put down a guide vocal to a click track
then create "Intro's" "Fill AB" "Main A" "Fill BA" "Main B" and "Ending" with onboard sounds to create drums, bass, keyboard, strings etc
then add Electric Guitar using a real guitar for Rhythm and Lead
finished off with proper vocals.

Reason Software has "Blocks" which work in very much the same way "Main A" and "Main B" etc work on the QY100, so this would be ideal as i would be able to put a guide vocal down then use the QY100 to play the intruments, so although I'm not using a DAW to it's full potential it "should" be childs play. From the information you've given me the cheapest route to rectifying this would be a Yamaha MIDI to USB cable.

Thanks again for your help, take care, all the best. Wagstar.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 pm

No problem, Wagstar . . . .

(These ladies sometimes don't understand the importance (to us) of the creative urge and the necessity to engage with it - if we are to retain our sanity and remain the loving souls that they live with . . . ) 0-)

Your AB and intro terms I remember from my brief look at the Manual - to understand your problem.

It is clear that you are well versed and comfortable with the way of working that the QY presents, and I can see that Reason would appear to work in the block mode you prefer.

I'm sure the Yamaha I/F will be fine. There is just that extra "quality" about their products which should see you "OK".

Believe me, even the cleverest of us will struggle to make "a load of tat" work, in these situations. :x

We all work in different ways, and I've always maintained that the best solutions are the ones that intrude LEAST, on our chosen MO . .

The Students at the Uni where I used to work were required to do a multitrack piece on the Sound Recording Course, and many of them chose a favourite "Track" to "Cover" and, you guessed it - they recorded the track as a guide track to work with, removing it, before the final mixdown . . .

The technology moves along, bringing new possibilities, so it's unlikely that you will never need to make further purchases, but good initial choices will lessen that need to a degree . . .

I would guess that a well-behaved interface will see you up and running shortly . . .

Good luck with it - and do let us know how it goes . . . . (it helps others who may be following the same path) 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Wagstar

Unread post by Wagstar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi, just a quick update, after looking around on the internet I have placed an order for an official Yamaha Midi to USB Cable, this should solve the problem! Once it has arrived and I have tried it I will let you know!

Thank you for your help. Take care, all the best. Wagstar.
Wagstar

Unread post by Wagstar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:58 am

Hello to anyone keeping an eye on this thread. The Yamaha MIDI to USB Cable arrived and it works, in regards to allowing the QY100 to work as a MIDI Keyboard, I have yet to work out how it allows me to use the DAW's guitar effects, but i will keep trying! Just a word of caution, I have lied in a previous comment (Unknowingly) once I had it all plugged in I went to Reason Essentials to find it does NOT have "Blocks" mode, you need to have the Full Blown Reason 8 software to have the blocks mode, I'm gutted about this, but the priority right now is to get the DAW's guitar effects to play via my guitar.

Thank you to all that helped me, it was and is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to “Music Software Forum”