Dowina Cabernet DC Acoustic - Another magical instrument from Slovakia

Dowina produce incredible hand crafted acoustic guitars. Using the best tone woods these guitars are wonderful to play and beautiful to look at.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Dowina Cabernet DC Acoustic - Another magical instrument from Slovakia

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:44 pm

This is another of Dowina's superb hand crafted all solid wood guitars to arrive and it's been worth the wait :)

The Cabernet DC is another pure gem from Dowina.
Dowina Cabernet DC.jpg
Dowina Cabernet DC close up.jpg
Dowina Cabernet DC Bridge Pins.jpg
Dowina Cabernet DC Headstock.jpg
Specs are:
  • Solid Canadian Cedar Top
  • Solid Rosewood back and sides
  • Mahogany neck
  • Rosewood Fretboard and Bridge
  • Grover Tuners with Ebony Keys
  • Buffalo Bone Nut & Saddle
  • Elixir BR-012 Strings
  • Open Pore Finish
Of course it sounds absolutely superb and is kind of guitar that is hard to put down for any length of time. I think we all know that feeling when you have a guitar you just always want to pick up and play? Have to say all three of the Dowina guitars I have here elicit that same feeling and it is something I have not come across that often in the past 30 or so years I have been playing acoustic guitars.

Whatever magic Dowina are weaving into these instruments it definitely works on me (Y) ((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Struny
Ireland

Re: Dowina Cabernet DC Acoustic - Another magical instrument from Slovakia

Unread post by Struny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you Saul,
I know I'm over the moon with the one I just bought :)
I think if anyone ever gets a chance to try one, they will want one. Now back to playing.....
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:31 pm

It is indeed an incredibly good guitar and so well made too.

I think this is the problem, not enough dealers so people don't have the opportunity to try them. You are quite lucky over in Ireland you have moloneymusic.com in Galway and they stock quite a large range of Dowina guitars.

Over here in the UK there is just DV247 in Romford although I think they have around 12 Dowina's on display so not bad and it's a really comfortable store to try a guitar in.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Struny
Ireland

Unread post by Struny » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am

I'm lucky I understand it, but they really need subtitles for this viodeo....

This guy taught at University and was able to work in the University's acoustic laboratory and evaluate physico mechanical properties of wood which differ quite a lot. He mentions that some instruments can be made of beautiful wood but not play as good and others made of not so good looking wood and play well. Only about 5% (10% if they're lucky) of the wood is suitable for these guitars and you can't tell by looks.....

Talking then about individual thickening of soundboard based on different frequencies( what makes Dowina guitar really Dowina guitar), geometry, thin finish not to kill the sound, fretwork for intonation. Yep these guys know what they're doing and they do it so well ((i))

Dowina guitars may be bit more expensive judging only by spes like wood type but there's so much more. Every guitar is leaving the shop set up never mind being made of hand selected wood and won't be an average player, always good or even excellent as per the founder and I can only second that.

Surprising how unknown these are considering the quality....
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes indeed I have been asking them to put sub-titles on their videos for a while now but I think that particular video was not shot by them so they have little control over it.

I was lucky enough to spend a whole day with Stan Marinov at the UK Guitar Show at the end of September. He has such an incredible wealth of knowledge not only about building guitars but of so many types of wood and the properties of each one and how it reacts to all the variables that can affect it. The day was like a master class in acoustic guitars and given what a busy chap he is I felt very privileged to have been able to spend so much time with him.

I think once the new website goes online and a few other things that are planned fall into place people will have more opportunity to see an hear Dowina guitars and understand why they are so special...but then you and I already know that ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Dowina Acoustic Guitar Forum”