Dowina Cabernet vs Furch Blue Master's Choice

Dowina produce incredible hand crafted acoustic guitars. Using the best tone woods these guitars are wonderful to play and beautiful to look at.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

dubhe

Dowina Cabernet vs Furch Blue Master's Choice

Unread post by dubhe »

Searching for a the perfect cedar top guitar for under 1,500 - not any task.

Narrowed my search down to two:
Furch Blue MC CM (masters choice, cedar top, solid mahogany back and sides) I could get for about $1,400 with shipping to california.
Dowina Cabernet GACE (cedar top, solid rosewood back and sides) costs about $1,500 all in with shipping california.

here's a nice video showcasing the Furch Blue sound, albeit not a MC :

and another showing the Dowina Cabernet:

What I like more about the Furch:
soft V neck profile (I know I'm in the minority on this one :mrgreen: )
comes with a nice gigbag

What I like more about the Dowina:
The look of the guitar (all the unique appointments)
bone nut and saddle (vs tusq)

Since I cant actually play them unfortunately, I would really appreciate any feedback on what you would prefer or any points I may have missed. After selling my taylor 314, I'm looking for a new, warm over bright, grand auditorium guitar. I'm definitely more of a strummer than a finger picker but I would like the versatility to do both. This is a big purchase for me so hopefully with a enough research I will make the right decision. Thanks in advance!

Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dowina Cabernet vs Furch Blue Master's Choice

Unread post by Saul »

Hi dubhe, welcome to the forums :)

As you probably know, there is a bit of a connection between Furch and Dowina.

Stan Marinov, who started Dowina Guitars has worked with Frantisek Furch back in the early days and in terms of quality, the guitars they produce are equal in build, sound, and playability.

You really could not go wrong with either brand so it really comes down to personal preferences.

Speaking only for myself, I prefer Dowina. I like the finish and feel of their guitars. And there is less automation involved in the build process. They are still very much a "hands-on" sort of company.

You will certainly find either of these brands a step up from Taylor. I have owned Taylor guitars myself. They are by no means "bad" guitars but the difference between a Taylor and a Furch or Taylor and Dowina is like night and day. Or it is to me anyway.

I can highly recommend you have a chat with Richard Chorleton over at richardsguitars.co.uk because he stocks both Furch and Dowina and will be able to give you a better comparison of each model.

Me? I would go with Dowina (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
szhrmp

Unread post by szhrmp »

Is there any difference between the Furch and the Dowina in terms of neck weight. I read some reviews online about the Furch that the neck is quite heavy due to its truss road system and it suffers from Neck dive.

I currently have a beginner Yamaha FG720 and want to upgrade.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

szhrmp wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:30 am Is there any difference between the Furch and the Dowina in terms of neck weight. I read some reviews online about the Furch that the neck is quite heavy due to its truss road system and it suffers from Neck dive.

I currently have a beginner Yamaha FG720 and want to upgrade.
I would not say that I have really noticed much in terms of Furch being overly neck heavy. But maybe that is just me?

I do think Dowina guitars feel lighter overall. It's a difficult thing to put into words but they have a very boutique feel to them, almost as if each guitar was made especially for you?

Are you able to try any Furch or Dowina guitars?

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.