P-120 / UX16 / MIDI / MacBook / GarageBand Issue

Covers all Yamaha P Series Keyboards

Moderator: parametric

ashwoja

P-120 / UX16 / MIDI / MacBook / GarageBand Issue

Unread post by ashwoja »

Hi there

Thank you for letting me register on what looks like a great Forum.

I'm having problems connecting my P-120 via a UX16 MIDI interface to my MacBook running GarageBand. I've downloaded the UX16 device driver, and GarageBand even recognises the existence of a MIDI input device. I've followed the Mac instructions for testing the MIDI Studio etc etc ... the only problem is, I can't get the P-120 to send anything recognisable. I'm certain I'm being dumb and have missed a setting on the P-120 or elsewhere. So I'm posting in the hope someone has a similar config and can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance

John Ashworth

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: P-120 / UX16 / MIDI / MacBook / GarageBand Issue

Unread post by Saul »

Hi John, welcome to the forums :)

Did you check on page 37 of the manual to make sure your MIDI settings are correct?
After selecting “F8.Y”, press the [+/YES▲] button to engage the MIDI function sub-mode, then use the [TEMPO/FUNCTION# ▼, ▲] buttons to select the desired MIDI function, as listed below.

• The side-panel HOST SELECT switch must be set to “MIDI” in order to use the MIDI connectors. When you use the TO HOST connector, set the HOST SELECT switch to the appropriate position for the type of computer you are using (see page 41). In this situation, all MIDI settings described below will have an effect on the MIDI signal in and out of the TO HOST connector.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

ashwoja

Unread post by ashwoja »

Dear Saul

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm afraid I did check all those settings! I fear there's an incompatability between the UX16 driver version and the version of MacOS (High Sierra) which I'm running. My fear is supported by an entry on the Apple/Music forum. So a next step is to find an elderly laptop whose elderliness matches that of the P-120/UX16 driver etc etc ... although I can't believe it really has to be so complicated. The frustrating thing is that GarageBand recognises the exitence of a MIDI input device, and the Audio MIDI Setup utility on the Mac recognises the UX16 as a device. It can light up the MIDI-out lamp on the UX16 but can't seem to receive any MIDI-in. Grrrr.

John

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

The UX16 has been around since 2001 so it is getting on for 19 years old. Nothing wrong with old gear of course but when it comes to MIDI interfaces I think the newer the better?

Have you considered an Audio/MIDI interface or small USB desktop mixer with MIDI inputs? It might be the way to go. It doesn't need to be expensive and would be a lot more versatile.

The M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 would do the trick. It is compatible with macOS up to 10.14 Mojave so you will be fine with High Sierra.

Or if you want something a little more sophisticated something like the PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 would be excellent. I had one of these myself and it worked perfectly with mac OS High Sierra.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

ashwoja

Unread post by ashwoja »

Fantastic advice! This feels like the way to go.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll update when I get it set up.

Kind regards

John

ashwoja

Unread post by ashwoja »

Dear Saul

An update. After much research, I went for a later Yamaha gizmo - the MD-BT01 MIDI/Bluetooth adapter (around £35). It plugs into the IN/OUT sockets on the P-120, is self-powered, and after a little bit of faffing around in the Mac Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup/Show MIDI Studio -> double click on the 'Bluetooth' icon to enable the device, the whole thing worked. The order of the above operations, plus installing a firmware update to the MD-BT01 device via an iPhone app was *not* trivial, but I got there in the end. Garageband then recognised the device without any fuss and I was able to start recording digitally immediately.

I'm convinced I got stuck to start with because there is a software incompatability between the UX16 driver and the later version of MacOS I'm running ... so not a hardware problem and not a Garageband problem.

Anyhow, all is now well. Thank you for your encouragement. I'd be happy to chat to/email with anyone who is confronted with a similar puzzle to mine.

Kind regards

John

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks John. Very happy to hear you got it all sorted.

I didn't mention the MD-BT01 because as you mention it is a bit of a faff and sometimes doesn't work. Glad to see that is not the case here though.

The UX16 problem is definitely down to drivers. But that is in part also due to the age of the product. Yamaha are not going to devote resources to updating drivers for something that old. They would rather people "upgraded" and essentially that is what you have done.

Anyway thanks again for the update. I am sure there will be plenty of people who find this helpful ((i)) ((i)) ((i))
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr