NAMM 2020 - KORG SV-2 Taking The Classic SV To The Next Level

KORG keyboards, sound modules and software.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

NAMM 2020 - KORG SV-2 Taking The Classic SV To The Next Level

Unread post by Saul »

KORG SV-2 NAMM 2020.png
KORG have been very busy indeed just recently! Triton Classic in software, the reinvention of the Wavestation in the 'Wavestate Sequencing Synth' and now a new version of the SV stage piano, the SV-2.

I always like the styling of the original SV but I am not sure about the look of the SV-2 yet. Maybe it will grow on me :think:

In this video you can see Luke from KORG along with Jack from Andertons taking the new SV-2 through its paces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkeNcW4xuBw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Re: NAMM 2020 - KORG SV-2 Taking The Classic SV To The Next Level

Unread post by shelly0624 »

Oh my gosh, I love this model. I could listen to it all day (especially if this guy was playing). Really beautiful sounds and powerful speakers. I actually like the retro look and color, though the round holes over the speakers take a little getting used to. Coming from the 80s and analog, I've always liked knobs instead of buttons with tiny words on the panel, especially since my eyesight isn't the greatest. The knobs are easier to see and to control sounds quickly. I find that I use fewer sounds on an arranging keyboard with hundreds of voices. I'm just learning, but I keep going for the piano choices. This stage piano is amazing and these guys are hilarious. :lol: Do you know how much they're going to cost?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I fully agree with all that Shelly. Knobs and sliders are better for me than menu diving and I definitely don't need keyboard with hundreds or thousands of sounds, I simply never use them. A good digital piano with great samples or modelling plus a nice key action is all I need but then perhaps I am just getting old :think:

Jack at Andertons is brillant. Not only a great player but loads of fun with it. And Luke from KORG is just amazing. He often doesn't get to show what he can do as he has to pretty much stick to the standard demo thing but in this video he is set loose :)

Pricing here in the UK is as follows:

SV-2-73 SSP £1629.00 inc VAT
SV-2-88 SSP £1749.00 inc VAT
SV-2S-73 SSP £1749.00 inc VAT
SV-2S-88 SSP £1879.00 inc VAT

All models should be available from Feb.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

VIP

Unread post by Derek »

I really hate the look of this, but that is of course a subjective opinion, and personally I would find a stage piano far too restrictive. But it will of course appeal to people who want a modern stage piano. :)

Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I am still trying to figure out if i like the way it looks or not. From some angles it looks better than from others :confusion-confused:

It definitely won't be for everyone but that of course is why KORG produce a wide range of instruments to suit all.

Pricewise though I am not sure it ticks the right boxes. For that sort of money you can pick up a used Kronos and that will be far more versatile and better value for money. Or at least it would be for me (Y)

Given a choice between the KORG SV-2 and the Yamaha CP I think the SV-2 wins hands down in the style stakes. It would definitely be my preference.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV42V7J134A

Already missing some key features that should've been included

1- Pitch and mod wheels
2- Split & layers to be activated and regulated in REAL TIME. NOT from the editor only
3- Replaceable sound library. Don't know if this will be a feature included on the future
4- More favourites presets
5- Smooth sounds transition. Can't believe this is not implemented on this SV2. The Grandstage does have it, so why not the SV2?

Otherwise, it does sound good. But now there's a lot of competition out there, with way more options and flexibility

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I would agree that smooth sound transitions should be pretty much standard these days. It is a feature a LOT of people want/need.

Pitch and mod wheels...I had actually not noticed they weren't present 8O. I rarely use them myself so would not be an issue for me but yes, definitely should have been there. Or at very least a combined pitch/mod joystick.

Replaceable sound library? :think: Yes perhaps. Again it is not something that would affect me at all but perhaps it is something KORG have lined up for the future.

Not sure why the split & layers can only be activated via the editor. Seems like a very odd decision to me but perhaps there is a good reason for it :think:

It is still a really nice keyboard and although expensive it is not overly expensive. Not to the point where I would think it is not good value for money.

Look out for the new keyboard from Yamaha! The YC61. See Here

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBGYuRmpzM

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott »

Saul wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:07 pm I always like the styling of the original SV but I am not sure about the look of the SV-2 yet. Maybe it will grow on me :think:
The black one is identical. The white variation has the holes for the speakers, that's a little goofy.
Eduardo Rojas wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:18 pm Already missing some key features that should've been included

1- Pitch and mod wheels
2- Split & layers to be activated and regulated in REAL TIME. NOT from the editor only
3- Replaceable sound library. Don't know if this will be a feature included on the future
4- More favourites presets
5- Smooth sounds transition. Can't believe this is not implemented on this SV2. The Grandstage does have it, so why not the SV2?
1. They're repurposing the existing SV1 chassis, no allowance for wheels there.
2. Again, if they're using the existing platform, they're limited to the button, knob, and display layout of the original.
5. SV2 is designed by Korg Italy with their sound engines. Grandstage is designed by Korg Japan with their sound engines.

Fleer

Unread post by Fleer »

I said it and I’ll say it again: MDF particle board underneath is a no-no for me.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Fleer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:21 am I said it and I’ll say it again: MDF particle board underneath is a no-no for me.
Cost-cutting measure probably? Would metal have increased the weight substantially? I don't think it would have.

For me, it would not be an issue. The SV would sit on a stand and not go anywhere. I wouldn't see the bottom and there would be no issues with durability.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook