New Korg Web Site Launched Today!

Discussion and information on the Korg range of keyboards and rack modules. Anything without it's own dedicated section can be discussed in here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

New Korg Web Site Launched Today!

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Korg UK have just launched their new web site and have to say it's looking pretty slick :) Massive improvement on the old one.

Check it out here http://www.korg.com/uk/
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Re: New Korg Web Site Launched Today!

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi Saul,

The sites GUI seemed really weird to me. Like when you scroll over pages the image goes gravely, or clicking on something opens up a full screen white background with just a couple of lines of (black) writing on it.

Anyway, does it not have a forum, or is this still the best/only one please:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... 2eda8d2404

Ta,

Paul
Fender Rhodes Suitcase / Fender Rhodes Stage / MiniMoog Model D / MultiMoog / Hohner E7 Clavinet / Yamaha DX7 (Mk1), DX21 & DX27 / Roland Juno 6 / Korg Poly_61.

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones (250 Ohm).

Cubase 9.5 / Sibelius 8.5

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 10 Home, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, 2.13gHz, Service Pack 1.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:33 pm

That's still the best forum for Korg. It's supported by them but run by a instrument shop owner in Dublin. Korg just pay for the hosting.

The images on the Korg site deliberately go grainy when you roll over them. I think it's a sort of analogy for "old skool" analogue.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Saul wrote:Korg UK have just launched their new web site and have to say it's looking pretty slick :) Massive improvement on the old one.

Check it out here http://www.korg.com/uk/
Looks like the great support/download section for older products that Korg UK provided has completely disappeared, all you get now is a redirect to a US support site with few files (not even all user manuals are there).

That's so typical when site redesigns are done by (presumably) external marketing/design agencies, it's all style over substance and no consideration for existing deep links from other web sites or old content about older products. :evil:
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
zpink

Unread post by zpink » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:52 pm

hmm, to 'high-light' the picture/section that currently has focus by adding noise over it is rather stupid and ugly IMO.
Would make more sense (and look a lot better) if the picture currently in focus lost the noise, or better, if the other pictures were slightly blurred instead.
The noise I just don't like, but we're discussing taste now... or in this case, the lack of. ;-)
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:57 pm

Agreed. I think it was an improvement in aesthetics at the expense of functionality. The "apparent" loss of support for older products could of course be deliberate and Korg is trying to move everyone forward and away from legacy gear. After all, there is no profit in supporting users who are sticking with their old products and whom will probably never see the need to "upgrade"?

I also agree about the noise in the pictures. It's a bit of a gimmick no doubt thought very cool by the designers without much thought for the actual users. Sometimes...well nearly ALL times, simple is best :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:04 pm

Saul wrote: The "apparent" loss of support for older products could of course be deliberate and Korg is trying to move everyone forward and away from legacy gear. After all, there is no profit in supporting users who are sticking with their old products and whom will probably never see the need to "upgrade"?
A lot of synth owners have a mixture of old and new synths. Pissing them off by removing support downloads (user manuals, firmware updates, support software) for older synths reduces the chance that they will buy new synths from Korg.
My Yamaha RM50 page
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:08 pm

I don't think that's the case, certainly not judging by the members of this forum. Not many here buying new synths over the years, which probably explains why it's been such a slog to get Yamaha involved.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Saul wrote:I don't think that's the case, certainly not judging by the members of this forum. Not many here buying new synths over the years, which probably explains why it's been such a slog to get Yamaha involved.
No offense but this forum is probably not very representative or else all synth manufacturers would have gone bust a long time ago. :wink:
When I look at gearslutz or even VSE I see plenty people having a mixture of old and new synths.

But even here when I look at the synths listed in the signatures of various posters I often see a mixture of old and new synths.
My Yamaha RM50 page
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:14 am

Hmm.

I'm thinking it might be a little short-sighted or even arrogant - for manufacturers to dismiss users of older boards out of hand.

Such users don't need much EXPLAINED to them about boards (and the need for them) - and as such will probably be well-informed and always be curious to inquire about the new "carrot" that's being dangled. .

Much harder work, I think to persuade a newbee "browser" to open his/her wallet?

I don't think GAS ever goes away, once you are "involved" - AND of course, the older we get, we find ourselves in (hopefully) mortgage-free land, with possibly a redundancy cheque in hand - That will easily afford that Shiny new top-of-the-range board (if only as a reward for making it this far - and IMO a far more interesting option than "The Gold Watch"! )

Just my tuppence-worth 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:17 am

I just think for those of us who have been around a while a new keyboard can be a hard sell. For Yamaha I think they have pretty much killed off the XF by bringing the MOXF to market. It basically does everything most musicians need in a package that's less than half the price. Ok you sacrifice build quality, sampling (although you CAN import samples) and the larger screen but for pretty much everything else the MOXF ticks all the boxes.

The real problem for Yamaha is then, how do you get someone with an MOXF to buy into spending their hard earned cash on something that does pretty much the same thing but in a different box? Many here would probably need a lot of convincing that they need to upgrade from their SY77/99/EX5 etc at all!

You see this is the thing. I have had long meetings with Yamaha and the thing they always bring up is that most of the users of this forum are not particularly interested in "upgrading". From my perspective even if many don't upgrade they do at least discuss new products and in doing so propagate that information around the web. We also support users of new gear here so Yamaha's input is far from wasted.

I have a meeting with Yamaha's guitar division next week so hopefully with support from the Pro Audio and Guitar guys we can go on to build on what we have here.

Getting back to KORG. Although their web site might be lacking in certain areas they are at least busy bringing a lot of affordable products to market. For me the most exciting things about KORG at the moment is their focus on Apps. Something I think Yamaha should take on board. There are massive amounts of money to be made in software and apps. It doesn't all have to be about hardware!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:39 am

I guess its the old number about not being able to please all the people ALL of the time.

MOXF customers have GOT to be delighted with what's on offer at such a reasonable price, whilst older customers will remember - and gigging musicians will appreciate the robustness, for what they have in mind . . . . .

Metal cases gonna cost money - so its horses for courses. I'm not saying one COULDN'T gig a MOXF6/8 - the roadies would be well pleased, but its probably happier in the Studio . . . .

The differences between resident soundbanks between the different manufacturers further muddy the waters when considering a purchase - and its probably the one that swings it in the end.
After all, its a device for making Music :idea: :lol:

So its probably an IMPOSSIBLE DREAM for any manufacturer to be TOP at all price points.

With all this variety on offer, we are really in a good place . . . Its a good time to be creative in this respect. IMO

Saul wrote:From my perspective even if many don't upgrade they do at least discuss new products and in doing so propagate that information around the web. We also support users of new gear here so Yamaha's input is far from wasted.

Absolutely. (Talk about FREE advertising???) :roll:
Saul wrote:I have a meeting with Yamaha's guitar division next week so hopefully with support from the Pro Audio and Guitar guys we can go on to build on what we have here.
Hope so. I'd still love to see Yamaha afford us a few feet of counter space next time they're showing in the UK. I could imagine a first-timer being less intimidated talking to a forum member (initially) - when testing the water for an overview - than walking up to a Yamaha salesman - NO disrespect - but they DO have an agenda . . .
Saul wrote:Getting back to KORG. Although their web site might be lacking in certain areas they are at least busy bringing a lot of affordable products to market. For me the most exciting things about KORG at the moment is their focus on Apps. Something I think Yamaha should take on board. There are massive amounts of money to be made in software and apps. It doesn't all have to be about hardware!
I don't know Korg gear at all, but hear what you say. I believe Rick has used them extensively for some time now (in addition to the Moogs, naturally) and that speaks volumes . . .
Now that Yamaha have Steinberg - it bodes well for THAT area. I'd like to see more computer-based editors for Synths - MUCH easier to see what you are doing. DAW integration too - using the synth as a surface to control the DAW - like the MOXF integration with Cubase AI. . . More of this please :idea:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
zpink

Unread post by zpink » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:52 am

Since I rather recently bought my MOXF, I can vouch for the importance of forums for potential customers! ((i))
IMHO, along with a very few trusted reviewers and (non-commercial) Youtube videos, it's what you can make your choices from when you don't have time to travel round and spend time on each board you consider.
Sales videos by the manufacturers are just showing off the best sounds from the board, played by a competent musician who will have played that particularly fitting melody on that keyboard a thousand times already, so nothing to use for judging what you yourself will be able to do with it!

Over on Motifator, I'm sure I've seen a few people who have both Motifs in the studio and MOX/MOXF that they use for gigging though, so there are definitely people dedicated enough to double up on their gear.

I believe there will be a few updated signatures in this forum soon enough..... :wink:
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below
monsterjazzlicks
Super Patch Creator
Super Patch Creator
Great Britain

Unread post by monsterjazzlicks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Saul,
Saul wrote:That's still the best forum for Korg. It's supported by them but run by a instrument shop owner in Dublin. Korg just pay for the hosting.
Ok, cheers. I posted a question but got zilch reply. Maybe it's too boring for them! lol

Paul
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Well you can always ask here. Pretty sure we can find out the answer to your question one way or another :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Korg Products Not Covered By Their Own Section”