Krome or Kross [G.A.S]

Discussion and information on the Korg range of keyboards and rack modules. Anything without it's own dedicated section can be discussed in here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

ledan
Sweden

Krome or Kross [G.A.S]

Unread post by ledan » Sat May 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi forum,

I know this is highly subjective, but your opinions is very useful still. I have the option to buy either an almost new Kross (played once) or a Krome (unfortunately the "gold" version) for quite decent money.

I don't know why really, but heard about the Kross first and started to GAS (and feeling hesitant at the same time since i already got one moxf6 w. flash and the Triton Classic with a couple of expansions). I've spent a lot of time this weekend, browsing youtube demos of the Kross and the Krome and they both sound quite good (Krome a tad bit fuller i think).

Which one would you recommend personally? They both offer 5xEFX (insert), master effects but the Krome has got much bigger wave-rom onboard. Also, some people says that the keybed on the Kross is terrible (?!).
ledan
Sweden

Re: Krome or Kross [G.A.S]

Unread post by ledan » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

well... answering myself here apparently :)

Got a Krome (despite reading all about its problems with key rubber flaws, sticky keys, etc). It sounds ok and very clean for sure. Keyboard is not as bad as what people are writing about on various forums. There are worse keybeds out there for sure.

To be quite frank: my moxf kicks the behind of the Krome every day of the week. I would even say that my old trusty Triton beats the Krome in a lot of ways (well, not the actual clarity of sounds apparently). A lot of patches are inherited from the Triton line. Triton keybed is lightyears agead of the Krome. Bottom end of the Triton is way ahead of the Krome also.

The Krome does have a nice screen and (unofficially/officially with the M1 bank) a way to load optional pcm banks.

Will probably sell the Krome within short.
zpink

Unread post by zpink » Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Ehrm..congratulations. ... I think! ;-)
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below
ledan
Sweden

Unread post by ledan » Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Zpink,

LOL, yes and that was my "good" review, now over to the bad one....

No, i'm joking. It is and feels like a midrange workstation. I guess the Triton was really the top of the line back in the day and that still holds i think.

IMHO, what the Krome lacks really is decent factory presets. Sure, that 2.8gb piano sounds ok (but i still feel that the XF/moxf piano has a warmer feel) and then there is 2.3 tons of organs, flutes and harmonicas. They really should have put some more effort into making synth-sounds for this synth.

To be fair, digging down into the menus (and being familiar with Korg Triton or even the M1), it has a lot of (unused) potential. FX quality is very good but s/pdif output is really missed.

Very mixed emotions about this one.
zpink

Unread post by zpink » Fri May 29, 2015 8:48 pm

hehehe, that wasn't too bad!

I don't have a massive (and ever expanding it appears) corner full of synths like you mate, so I can't do as much side by side comparisons. :wink:

Before I bought the MOXF but after I had decided to get myself a sample based synth, I did take a couple of trips up to Denmark Street and of course YouTubed a lot to compare what the 'big three' had to offer and rather quickly ended up with the two options, MX49 or MOXF6.
The funny (and rather silly) thing is that I really WANTED to like Korg the most, just coz that is what Mustis, Toumas in Nightwish and a ton of others are using, but I gave in to the sound of the Yamahas soon enough.

I don't have room for any more big gear and can't really justify splashing out any dosh neither but I've been GASing for a Micro or MiniBrute. Think I'm passed that now since I've been messing about a lot with the Novation lately and to me the difference between proper and virtual analogue isn't worth the money or the inconvenience.

Bought the Maschine upgrade for 44 quid though.. THAT was money well spent! ((i)) :D

Enjoy your new and old gear, time to make some noise here.
zpink
Swedish chap hailing from Staines-Upon-Thames.
Noise-making gear: Cubase Elements 8, Korg Electribe 2, Yamaha MOXF6, Novation Mininova, two guitars run through a Boss GT10 and couple of jaw-harps.
Oh yeah, and the Novation KS4 is now hooked up again(even though it has to rest vertically when not used)!
https://www.youtube.com/user/zpinkLondonBelow
https://soundcloud.com/london-below

Return to “Korg Products Not Covered By Their Own Section”