Casio CT-X700 Review and First Impressions

The Casio CT-X range provides a massive leap forward in sound quality, giving you much more than you would expect at this price point.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Casio CT-X700 Review and First Impressions

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for that comment Jose and I am sure Phil will appreciate it too. As you can see, he plays just fine using his own method (Y)

This whole thing about what is "correct" and what is not puts a LOT of people off playing a musical instrument, be it piano, guitar, violin etc.

People forget that there were NO rules before someone made them up! :/:

If some want to follow a traditional path that is fine with me. But I won't be told by anyone, no matter how experienced or famous they are that I am playing in the "wrong" way. I play exactly how I feel like playing and that's all I need to know :dance:

Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

MinorKey

Unread post by MinorKey »

Hi all,
Well after eyeing these little things since they came out, I have gotten myself a new CT-X800 and I must say that it's truly serious value for money. It's no Motif XF, but sound-wise it's way way beyond what my (since sold) DGX-220 was capable of and I think that it could definitely be used in certain live and recording situations without shame.
The keys feel good, however I do have a minor concern with one of them. The fourth C is a bit noisier than the other keys. It responds properly to playing and it doesn't feel faulty in the right sense of the word, it's just that at times pressing it down is accompanied by a little cracking noise, like when you rub 2 pieces of plastic against one another (as if something was in the way a bit).
This is my cheapest non-toy keyboard in this price range so far. I guess that the answer is yes, but can behavior like this be considered relatively common in case of budget machines like these? Alternatively, has anyone experienced something similar?
As long as it's within the boundaries of what can be expected (which it probably is), I'd rather avoid sending it back, as otherwise I'm really pleased with it.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Actually I have noticed that key problem on quite a few budget end keyboards.

As you say it doesn't affect the way the key triggers the sounds it just "feels" not quite right?

The same thing was apparent on a couple of PX-S1000's I tried recently. It is not something that would put me off buying one but I do wonder what is causing it. And you described it exactly as I would, like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other. I have come across it before on some computer keyboards that use a certain type of plastic membrane.

Anyway, I am glad to hear that you are happy with the sounds. There is still nothing at this price point to compete.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Unread post by shelly0624 »

Hello MinorKey :)

I bought a Casio CTX-800 last November and I love it. The quality of onboard sounds are really surprising for the money. I do wish you could set the individual volumes of the layered sounds. You can't, but I've been able to find sounds that allow the piano to be more predominant, which is what I prefer. But I wish I could set the 2nd layered sound to be more recessive. The stage piano (default sound) is really nice. I usually layer the stage piano with the chamber strings. You should hear this keyboard when it's plugged into a good keyboard amp.

The CTX-800 is really a great value.. I haven't had the problem you describe with my keyboard and it sounds like a factory flaw. Can you go back to the store and play another one to see if this idiosyncrasy is present in another CTX-800? Can you exchange or return your keyboard for another? I bought mine from Guitar Center, a music retailer in the U.S. and also purchased an extended warranty for an extra 2 years. Nevertheless, there is usually a Casio manufacturer's warranty for one year. I hope the problem gets solved for you, especially if it's a distraction.

MinorKey

Shelly, I'll reply to your post first, because "ladies first". 😊
Thank you for your reply. Also, glad to hear that you haven't experienced similar issues with your CT-X. Thanks for your advice as well. I bought it just this Monday and so there's still time to return it. That being said, I'm not sure I'll end up doing so. Because there are no music stores nearby, one must rely on purchasing stuff online over here. Of course, that's far from ideal, but it's how it goes. The only thing I'd want to exchange it for is another CT-X anyway. The one I have received was allegedly brand new and so I don't know. All things considered, it's quite OK and since ordering online/postal delivery is my only option, what is the guarantee that the next unit will be any better?
But of course, the advice you gave me is good. I'll play on the board some more and I'll check the return policy of the retailer I got it from. Thankfully there's still time to think things over.

MinorKey

Saul, thank you as well. In any case, it's good to know that this bug is not completely unknown to mankind. 😊
As I wrote in my reply to Shelly, I'll see whether I'll do something about it. It's not really off-putting, but of course, knowing what's causing it would make me feel better. I may even write a post over at the Casio forums and ask about it, but somehow I'll doubt I'll get better answers there than the ones you two have already given me.
And one more question about this board if you permit (which I'm sure you do). :-)
When the power supply is connected to the power socket, the batteries inside should not get drained, right? I ask because, today I used it in conjunction with the AC adaptor and yet the batteries seem to be drained. I have run it on batteries prior to that, but I don't believe that it was for the entire lifespan of the batteries. Than again, I could be mistaken - time flies when you're having fun. :-)
Also, the unit kept on shutting down automatically - do you know whether it's supposed to do that when used with the power adaptor as well?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

When running off the AC adapter it should not be draining the batteries. Are you using rechargeables? Some will not retain charge as much as others. It depends on the brand.

The keyboard will default to shut down after 30 minutes if no activity is detected. You can, however, disable this function by pressing the Function button and then scrolling with the left/right (2/3) keys to get to the Auto Power function.
Casio CT-X Functions.png
It is function 65 if that helps?
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MinorKey;

I see your dilemma. If you had to pay shipping back, one wonders if it would be worth it. You could easily pay 1/3 of what it cost to buy it, just to ship it back. I've always thought that if I buy another keyboard online, it would either be from a music retailer (like Guitar Center) where I could return it to a physical store ...or Amazon Prime, which gives you free shipping back if you have gotten a malfunctioning item. I do a lot of online shopping with Amazon Prime.. especially now with the Coronavirus. I'm sorry your keyboard is being troublesome. That's not fun.

MinorKey

Saul wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:14 pm
When running off the AC adapter it should not be draining the batteries. Are you using rechargeables? Some will not retain charge as much as others. It depends on the brand.

The keyboard will default to shut down after 30 minutes if no activity is detected. You can, however, disable this function by pressing the Function button and then scrolling with the left/right (2/3) keys to get to the Auto Power function.

Casio CT-X Functions.png

It is function 65 if that helps?
Thanks yet again, Saul. I'll have a go at it with another set of batteries. Sadly, I don't have any rechargeable ones - I guess I'll have to invest in a couple. I don't mind the machine powering down, I just found it a bit odd that it behaves like that when connected to a power outlet directly as well.

MinorKey

Actually, if I'm lucky, eventually sending it back won't cost me so much. There is, however, one other aspect that irritates me about these kind of things in general. Saul, you might remember it (no problem if you don't), but I am a practically blind person, which means that I have to rely on the help of others when dealing with things like packaging and sending stuff. Of course, my family members do help me with these things, but it's still frustrating for me that I sometimes add unexpected items on to their to-do list like this.
I have no problem with my health condition - I think that I have accepted it reasonably well, but it still makes me angry that I can't be as independent as I'd like to be.
shelly0624 wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:02 pm
MinorKey;

I see your dilemma. If you had to pay shipping back, one wonders if it would be worth it. You could easily pay 1/3 of what it cost to buy it, just to ship it back. I've always thought that if I buy another keyboard online, it would either be from a music retailer (like Guitar Center) where I could return it to a physical store ...or Amazon Prime, which gives you free shipping back if you have gotten a malfunctioning item. I do a lot of online shopping with Amazon Prime.. especially now with the Coronavirus. I'm sorry your keyboard is being troublesome. That's not fun.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You would be surprised at how light the burden is when you do things for family. I hate obstacles too.. I despise confinements..
but sometimes I have to ~~breathe~~ and say to myself, "There are some things I can't do and some things I do pretty well: .."

If you're a go-getter it's even harder to not be totally independent. I have always used my hands for a million things and now my husband has to help me often by opening a door by the knob, or the lid on a jar or a prescription bottle... (arthritis) ..I had to let go of my guitar. Your challenge would be much harder still. It's a good thing you can make music. :)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

MinorKey wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 pm
Actually, if I'm lucky, eventually sending it back won't cost me so much. There is, however, one other aspect that irritates me about these kind of things in general. Saul, you might remember it (no problem if you don't), but I am a practically blind person, which means that I have to rely on the help of others when dealing with things like packaging and sending stuff. Of course, my family members do help me with these things, but it's still frustrating for me that I sometimes add unexpected items on to their to-do list like this.
I have no problem with my health condition - I think that I have accepted it reasonably well, but it still makes me angry that I can't be as independent as I'd like to be.
I know it must be frustrating to rely on others for help. I know I would feel the same as I have always been very independent. But of course, you adapt to things over time. If my sight went I think the only thing that would really get to me would not to be able to see my wonderful wife's face every day. Everything else would be difficult but I am stubborn and would plough on through. I could certainly still play the guitar and piano so that is plus :)

I would say though that being sight-impaired it is even more important than ever that the goods you order online arrive in good condition and are fully working as expected. Perhaps it might be useful to contact the supplier and ask them to test the product before sending? I am sure under the circumstances they would be happy to do that.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

MinorKey

shelly0624 wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:02 am
You would be surprised at how light the burden is when you do things for family. I hate obstacles too.. I despise confinements..
but sometimes I have to ~~breathe~~ and say to myself, "There are some things I can't do and some things I do pretty well: .."

If you're a go-getter it's even harder to not be totally independent. I have always used my hands for a million things and now my husband has to help me often by opening a door by the knob, or the lid on a jar or a prescription bottle... (arthritis) ..I had to let go of my guitar. Your challenge would be much harder still. It's a good thing you can make music. :)
Sorry to hear that you have been forced to give up playing guitar, but it's great and cool that you're still doing music (all be it in a slightly different form). Than again, I'm sure that most of us here would find it quite impossible to live without doing so (I definitely would), but that does not make it any less awesome at the end of the day, I suppose.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yes, it was a surprise when I found out that I could play keys if I used my hands a different way than the usual. I thought I would never do music again. I also just recently was able to get my prescription again for arthritis. It went out of remission because the need for hydroxychloroquine (to help treat the Cornavirus) was a priority and the needs of the seriously ill outweighed the needs of the others.. something I understand completely. Some of the pain is already beginning to subside a little because I respond really well to that medication. So, I can do a bit more ..(like open things).

My friend was told she would lose her sight in just a few years (macular degeneration). She taught herself to close her eyes to find things in her house. She is completely blind now.. She finds pleasure in auditory things ..anything she can listen to... TV, music, audio books. I would still value my sight more than sound, but I have huge respect for you -- that you have made a way to still accomplish something really creative.

MinorKey

Saul wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:43 am
I know it must be frustrating to rely on others for help. I know I would feel the same as I have always been very independent. But of course, you adapt to things over time. If my sight went I think the only thing that would really get to me would not to be able to see my wonderful wife's face every day. Everything else would be difficult but I am stubborn and would plough on through. I could certainly still play the guitar and piano so that is plus :)

I would say though that being sight-impaired it is even more important than ever that the goods you order online arrive in good condition and are fully working as expected. Perhaps it might be useful to contact the supplier and ask them to test the product before sending? I am sure under the circumstances they would be happy to do that.
Thanks for the good advice, Saul.
In the meanwhile I have decided to send the unit back. Delivery service should come and pick it up tomorrow. All in all it was a relatively small issue, but I know that the thought that I could have had something in better condition would have bugged me in about 2 weeks when the item would no longer have been eligible for return.
Now, I don't know what to get instead. The ability to power it on double AA batteries was a major selling point for me. I'm therefore deciding whether to go with another CT-X800 or something a bit different. I don't like the sound of the PSR E-range. The CT-X3000 looks tempting (some say that its key action is a better than that of the CT-X700 and 800), but that runs on D-cells and not double AAs. Another board I'm considering is the Korg EK-50. The CT-X sounds better than anything else in this price range in my opinion, but the EK-50 has its advantages - XY joystick, separate left and right outputs + if I'm not mistaken, it runs on 8 AA batteries. It does have more powerful speakers, but it's also heavier.
All in all I do find the CT-X800 the best value for money, but although I know that the majority of those units may be better built than the one I got, I still feel somewhat uncertain about getting another one. Than again, I have read negative opinions on the EK-50 as well...