Casio CT-X800

The Casio CT-X range provides a massive leap forward in sound quality, giving you much more than you would expect at this price point.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Casio CT-X800

Unread post by shelly0624 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Well... Guitar Center was having a Black Friday Sale until Dec. 1st, so I decided to go there and buy the Casio CT-X800. It was marked down from $270 to $200 for the bundle--(keyboard stand, sustain pedal and adapter. I have a better pedal and stand, but still..)

At $400 there was a Korg EK-50 at the store and it had a really nice feel, rich sounds, and I really liked the tone selector wheel which made finding sounds fast. It had a great quality feel and the speakers were decent. Fewer buttons. It was a better keyboard in many ways, but it also costed more. The sounds that I always use the most; strings, synth, and piano, sounded a LOT like my MZ-2000, even though that one is 19 years. So many times when I lose appreciation for that keyboard, I realize how nice it actually is. The piano, strings and synth are so sweet. Some of the woodwinds too... But the arrangements are kinda outdated.
The touch was very similar to my keyboard, except the MZ has a really nice aftertouch.

Anyway...... I was playing the Korg and all of a sudden no sound was coming out of the speakers. I called the employee over and even though he turned it off and back on, there was nothing. I suggested that he might try unplugging it and plugging it back in and he shrugged his shoulders. So..my attention went back to the Casio...especially because we are still buying Christmas gifts.

I was wondering on first contact if I was going to find an easier way to select tones, besides punching in the numbers and trying to remember what the names of them were. There must be an easier way and I'll figure it out. I spent less that 20 minutes on it. I'll dig out the manual to see how things work. The sounds are very realistic (the ones I had the time to try) and I look forward to playing with them and adding effects. I noticed that I had to strike the keys a little bit harder than other entry-level keyboards I've played, but I know that a harder touch creates some of the natural nuances of real instrument.
So ... Merry Christmas to me .. :D

My husband is so sweet. We are on a retirement wage, a very limited budget, so I am appreciating his gift very much. I will be plugging this keyboard into my Fender amp. The speakers are a bit small. I will be able to access the Chordana app to learn better how to play. This will be my practice keyboard. It's really, really light. That was something important to me so I could take it with me while I'm away from home. (Not camping though..). I know I am loving my tricycle in the midst of Harley riders. :lol: But maybe I'll work up to a moped before long..
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Casio CT-X800

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:57 am

Congrats on your new keyboard Shelly. Good price too :) ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Odd about the Korg EK-50. Surely the sales guy should have had a bit knowledge than he displayed. Why didn't he do a reset? Or as you said, unplug it and then plug it in again. Simple things to try but the issue very often is the simplest thing.

I have often wondered why Casio didn't use a jog wheel to select tones like most other keyboards. Always seemed to me that it is a much easier way to quickly scroll through the presets.

Good intro to the CT-X700 here by Mike Martin of Casio USA. The 700 is the same as the 800 minus the pitch bend and the USB to device port.

The first part is an unboxing but from 2:00 minutes onward there is a guide to the keyboard.You can get around the sounds fairly easily using the 'category' button and then I think it is the the numbers 2 and 3 on the number pad to move up and down through them.

Very much looking forward to hearing more about your new keyboard over the coming days and weeks :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by shelly0624 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:58 am

I'm really enjoying the sounds on this. Really surprising that something so inexpensive could sound the way it does. I was concerned that the strings/piano layering would be a little frustrating. I had heard that you can't adjust volumes on the individual layers and I don't like loud strings with the piano. But there are so many sound choices that it wasn't hard to find the sound combo with the right piano/strings balance. With the more expensive CT-X keyboards I think you can adjust separate volumes. I know I'm going to have fun with this. It's such a light, unimposing thing that I don't feel like it takes over the room (like the MZ). I can put it anywhere. It's 9.7 lbs. You feel like the casing wouldn't take much of a beating but it has a nice key bed. I had to lighten the touch sensitivity because of my damaged hands. The speakers aren't as wimpy as I thought they would be. They are good enough for home use and loud enough if you want a song to build in dynamics.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:07 pm

There are of course some limitations on the CT-X800 such as you pointed out, not being able to adjust the volumes of the individual layers. But I think in comparison to the competition it punches way above its price point. (Y)

Don't forget you can of course use the CT-X800 as a MIDI controller keyboard for all those soft synths we have been discussing recently. It opens up a very big world of musical possibilities :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.

Return to “Casio CT-X700/CT-X800/CT-X3000/CT-X5000”