Casio CT-X700 Review and First Impressions

The Casio CT-X range provides a massive leap forward in sound quality, giving you much more than you would expect at this price point.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Re: Casio CT-X700 Review and First Impressions

Unread post by shelly0624 »

The Korg EK-50 is also a really nice keyboard. I tried both and you can't go wrong with the Korg EK-50. Because I was on a tight budget I opted for the CT-X model, which also had nice sounds. (I hit an amazing Black Friday sale of $200 for the CT-X800 bundle). But the EK-50 I might have gone for if I had had the extra money. The sampled sounds on the CT-X are really unmatched, though, in that price range. Some of the sounds on the Korg reminded me of my MZ-2000, so maybe some of the voices were a little bit 90s.
But YouTube is great. You can always listen to the sounds and specs and compare them to other models. I've heard that the interface on the CT-X3000 and CT-X5000 is not quite as intuitive, but this is coming from someone who is a beginner and likes to keep things simple.

I subscribe to Jeremy See on YouTube. I really like his reviews and in the below link, he does a comparison on these three keyboards.. the Korg EK-50, the Yamaha PSR-E410, and the Casio CT-X5000.. (Try to ignore the ads at the beginning).

MinorKey

Unread post by MinorKey »

shelly0624 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm
Yes, it was a surprise when I found out that I could play keys if I used my hands a different way than the usual. I thought I would never do music again. I also just recently was able to get my prescription again for arthritis. It went out of remission because the need for hydroxychloroquine (to help treat the Cornavirus) was a priority and the needs of the seriously ill outweighed the needs of the others.. something I understand completely. Some of the pain is already beginning to subside a little because I respond really well to that medication. So, I can do a bit more ..(like open things).

My friend was told she would lose her sight in just a few years (macular degeneration). She taught herself to close her eyes to find things in her house. She is completely blind now.. She finds pleasure in auditory things ..anything she can listen to... TV, music, audio books. I would still value my sight more than sound, but I have huge respect for you -- that you have made a way to still accomplish something really creative.
Glad to hear you're doing better. Also thank you for your kind words.
I'm just a hobbyist and I'm not a virtuoso by any means, but I do like (and have the need) to express myself through music. In fact, I think I am a better song writer than what I am as a keyboard player, but of course, there's still time to develop further in this regard.
By the sound of it I may have a similar illness as your friend. Until I was about 12 years old the fact that there was something wrong with my eyesight was barely noticeable and although I could not read as easily as my peers, it certainly did not seem so serious. From there things went down-hill relatively fast though. It took only 2-3 years for my eyesight to deteriorate to the point where it is now. I still have some eyesight left, but I can no longer recognize objects or discern concrete colors, so for all purposes, I can be considered blind. Of course, even this is better than having absolutely no vision, as I'm still able to identify where the windows are in a room for example. And since I can still discern between dark and light, my eyes still help me a little in know places. They're not anything to rely on, but they serve as a complementary checking utility to a small degree. :D

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

Ah but this is the thing. Nearly all keyboards have negative reviews for one thing or another. It is the same for all products though. Mass production is great in that it reduces costs but unless quality control is 100% there will always be faulty products getting through.

I think the CT-X800 is the best value for money but I would feel the same way, wondering if the replacement would either have that same issue or develop it over time. This is why I always prefer where possible to test the keyboard or guitar I am buying. That is not always practicable though.

I didn't really like the sounds on the KORG EK50 although I do think the grand piano is slightly better than the one on the PSR-E463. I think Shelly had considered the EK50 before she purchased the Casio CT-X800?

I wonder if you have considered the Roland Go:Piano With Alexa built-in?

Having Alexa built into the keyboard seems like a pretty useful thing to me?

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... _go-61p-a/
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

MinorKey

shelly0624 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:40 pm
The Korg EK-50 is also a really nice keyboard. I tried both and you can't go wrong with the Korg EK-50. Because I was on a tight budget I opted for the CT-X model, which also had nice sounds. (I hit an amazing Black Friday sale of $200 for the CT-X800 bundle). But the EK-50 I might have gone for if I had had the extra money. YouTube is great. You can always listen to the sounds and specs and compare them to other models. I've heard that the interface on the CT-X3000 and CT-X5000 is not quite as intuitive, but this is coming from someone who is a beginner and likes to keep things simple.

I subscribe to Jeremy See on YouTube. I really like his reviews and in the below link, he does a comparison on these three keyboards.. the Korg EK-50, the Yamaha PSR-E410, and the Casio CT-X5000.. (Try to ignore the ads at the beginning).

Thank you for the link.
I am familiar with Jeremy's channel and I do watch his videos, although I must admit that I'm not a subscriber of his (probably should become one). I don't know, maybe it's a musician thing, but I really enjoy gear reviews. :D Of course, the side effect is that I than feel tempted to buy something. :D

MinorKey

Saul wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Ah but this is the thing. Nearly all keyboards have negative reviews for one thing or another. It is the same for all products though. Mass production is great in that it reduces costs but unless quality control is 100% there will always be faulty products getting through.

I think the CT-X800 is the best value for money but I would feel the same way, wondering if the replacement would either have that same issue or develop it over time. This is why I always prefer where possible to test the keyboard or guitar I am buying. That is not always practicable though.

I didn't really like the sounds on the KORG EK50 although I do think the grand piano is slightly better than the one on the PSR-E463. I think Shelly had considered the EK50 before she purchased the Casio CT-X800?

I wonder if you have considered the Roland Go:Piano With Alexa built-in?

Having Alexa built into the keyboard seems like a pretty useful thing to me?

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... _go-61p-a/
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I haven't considered the Roland Go. I haven't had the opportunity to play one, but I don't find it nearly as enthralling sound-wise as the CT-X and thus don't really feel excited about it. Plus, call me old-fashioned, but I find something odd about a musical keyboard connecting to the internet. Granted, no-one forces me to do just that, but my vision is to keep things really simple this time around.

MinorKey

Hi again,
I've just come across this thread over at the Casio forums. Based on this, returning the unit was kind of pointless, but it was worth a shot, although I don't have any replacement yet.
https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index. ... sy-keybed/