How Do You Use Your PSR-E 453/463?

Yamaha's best entry level keyboard for performing various styles of music, from the latest dance to classical and vinyl favourites. 61-keys, touch response, powerful on-board speakers and easy-to-use professional features.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar United States of America
mlochala

How Do You Use Your PSR-E 453/463?

Unread post by mlochala » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:00 pm

How do you use your PSR-E? Do you just use it for practice or jam sessions? Do you use it outside the home? Do you use it professionally? I was just curious about how much serious real world use these keyboards get by others.

I originally got my PSR-E453 to make it easier for my daughter and I to learn and practice new songs for our church's praise and worship team. I got tired of setting up my old gear (Roland synth, amp, stand, wiring, etc) whenever we just wanted some quick practice. I found this Yamaha (and a Casio CTK6250 I use interchangeably sometimes) to be just the ticket.

I actually have been much more pleased with both the Yamaha PSR-E453 (and the Casio CTK 6250) than I thought I would be. So much so, actually, that I rarely ever even take the Roland out of the case. I have begun using both of these "little" boards at church almost exclusively. I guess I have gotten spoiled by the rich sound quality, features, and light carrying weight of both the Yamaha and the Casio. They both play very well, also.

I do use the recorder feature on the Yamaha (actual 16 track sequencer on the Casio - ahem, Yamaha?) to work out arrangements some times. I love the look of the Yamaha, as it does actually look like a professional board to the untrained eye.

I use my Yamaha as both a lead instrument and a backing instrument on our praise team. It sounds really great. The ONLY complaint I have about it is that the acoustic piano sounds are disappointing. While they are not bad, I feel they could be much better. For comparison's sake, the Casio, which cost about $100 less, has an extremely impressive acoustic piano sound (several, actually). As a matter of fact, the Casio's piano sounds better than the acoustic piano sounds I have heard on many keyboards. However, the Yamaha makes up for it with some beautiful electric piano sounds. When combined with synth pads as a backing layer, it's really gorgeous.

So, how do you use yours?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How Do You Use Your PSR-E 453/463?

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am

Interesting question and it is something I have discussed before but never really had much in the way of answers. Of course we didn't have so many PSR users back then so it is certainly worth asking again :)

I look at keyboards such as the E453/463 in the same way as what is often termed "beginner guitars"...I am an acoustic guitarist by the way although I do love keyboards. I don't think there is such a thing as a "beginner" guitar in the same way I don't think there is a "beginner" keyboard. There are just budget, mid range and...way too expensive ;)

The point I am making is you can be a very experienced player who just doesn't happen to have deep pockets or indeed want an expensive keyboard. The likes of the PSR E453/463 and although you didn't mention it the Casio CT-X700/3000/5000 are ideal because they give you high quality sounds at a very budget friendly price.

By the way have you checked out the CT-X range? Or perhaps the new CDP/PX series from Casio?

Back to the PSR E453/463. I think these can be used in all sorts of situations from the home studio to live gigs...depending of course on how and what you need to play. Certainly at home you could use one of these keyboards for composition, perhaps using a mix of onboard sounds and software to create your music.

A PSR plus DAW and a sprinkling of virtual instruments can be a very powerful and versatile set up :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar United States of America
mlochala

Unread post by mlochala » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am
I look at keyboards such as the E453/463 in the same way as what is often termed "beginner guitars"...I am an acoustic guitarist by the way although I do love keyboards. I don't think there is such a thing as a "beginner" guitar in the same way I don't think there is a "beginner" keyboard. There are just budget, mid range and...way too expensive ;)
I agree, Saul. Even though this is JUST a $200-range keyboard, I treat it like I paid ten times as much for it. I believe that if you treat it and play it like a professional grade instrument, you will get professional grade results. For me, another way of looking at this board (and the Casio) is that when I got into synthesizers over 30 years ago, a board that had the feature set that both of these boards contain would have been well over $2,000. And, not only do these boards have those features, the sound quality is much better than most (if not all) of the pro boards from back then.

The problem most people have with these boards is that they can't get past the lightweight, plastic construction. It is a turn off. I had a problem with it. But now, I play them more than I do my old Roland, for which I paid much, much more when it was new.
Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am
By the way have you checked out the CT-X range? Or perhaps the new CDP/PX series from Casio?
I got my CTK-6250 just before the CT-X range was released. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but I expect that they will be very impressive, especially with regard for the price. I tell you, I am blown away by how capable the CTK-6250 is. The sounds are fantastic. You could easily slap another brand name on it and charge more than twice the price and it would still be an excellent bargain. Shhh...don't tell Casio, though.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Well thankfully I think Casio have turned a corner in terms of how their keyboards are now perceived. Once people get their hands on one it is often quite a revelation! This is NOT the Casio they were expecting :) The Privia PX range are just superb! and the CT-X700, despite it's incredibly low price is just amazing. That AiX sound chip is a stroke of genius.

Yamaha..well I love them but they do tend to stick to the tried and tested and the PSR's such as the E453 and 463 great though they are, really amount to very small incremental changes over a very long period of time. Casio now definitely have the edge, certainly where quality of sounds is concerned.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Yamaha PSR E-453 and E-463 Forum”