Yamaha PSR E-453 Lesson function

Yamaha's best entry level keyboard for performing various styles of music, from the latest dance to classical and vinyl favourites. 61-keys, touch response, powerful on-board speakers and easy-to-use professional features.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Michzz
Location.: Netherlands

Yamaha PSR E-453 Lesson function

Unread post by Michzz »

Hello,

I'm a new user to this forum and I apologize if my question has already been asked before, I've looked but couldn't find it.
I bought a Yamaha PSR e-453 recently coming from the psr e-423 (old!!).
I find it easy to learn new songs using the build in lessons function both keyboards offer.
You can transfer MIDI files to the keyboard and learn the songs like that.
With the e-423 i could transfer any MIDI song and it would let me learn using the lesson function but with the e-453 i have tried like 20 variations of one song and none seem to work with the lesson function..
The keyboard can play the song, but pressing the Lesson button doesnt work.
The lesson function does work with the build in factory songs.
There was one other MIDI song that did work with Lesson so I dont know what the problem is.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Re: Yamaha PSR E-453 Lesson function

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

You say that one file works, but the others don't, so it should be possible to look at the files with a MIDI editor to see how they differ from each other.

The first thing that comes to mind is that it might be the type, or format, of the MIDI file. There are three possible formats-- type 0, where all of the MIDI channels are coded within a single "MTrk" data chunk; type 1, where there are two or more "MTrk" data chunks, often (but not necessarily) with one MIDI channel per "MTrk" chunk; and type 2, where there are two or more "MTrk" data chunks but they aren't intended to be played back concurrently, such as a collection of songs or rhythms or loops which are intended to be played one at a time.

Yamaha keyboards can play type 0 and type 1 files, but it's likely that the lesson feature expects a file to be in a specific format in order for it to work properly.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Michzz

Unread post by Michzz »

SeaGtGruff wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:28 am You say that one file works, but the others don't, so it should be possible to look at the files with a MIDI editor to see how they differ from each other.

The first thing that comes to mind is that it might be the type, or format, of the MIDI file. There are three possible formats-- type 0, where all of the MIDI channels are coded within a single "MTrk" data chunk; type 1, where there are two or more "MTrk" data chunks, often (but not necessarily) with one MIDI channel per "MTrk" chunk; and type 2, where there are two or more "MTrk" data chunks but they aren't intended to be played back concurrently, such as a collection of songs or rhythms or loops which are intended to be played one at a time.

Yamaha keyboards can play type 0 and type 1 files, but it's likely that the lesson feature expects a file to be in a specific format in order for it to work properly.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Is there any MIDI editor you can recommend for me so that I can check and compare working and non working MIDI files with the lesson function on my keyboard?
Also would it be possible using that MIDI editor to edit the non working MIDI files to a format that do work?

EDIT: I've tried a few different MIDI editors but I cant seem to find out what the type or format a MIDI file is, let alone edit it to a type 0 or type 1.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I think there was a free utility I'd found a few years ago, but I have a different computer now and can't find it any more.

There is an inexpensive utility called GNMIDFMT that can convert between the three types of standard MIDI files. It looks like it has a file list view that shows the type for each file in the list, which would be helpful; and it can convert multiple files at once using a batch process, which would also be helpful.

You might also be able to do a conversion between types 0 and 1 by importing a given MIDI file into your DAW, then exporting the MIDI data to a different file as an explicit type, 0 or 1.

Michael Rideout
Michzz

Unread post by Michzz »

Thanks! I managed to get it to work.
You've been a great help!
Thank you for your effort and time to reply.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just for the record-- because sooner or later someone else is sure to have the same issue-- which type did you have to convert the files to?

Michael Rideout