A question about PSR-EW410 and MIDI channels

Yamaha's best entry level keyboard for performing various styles of music, from the latest dance to classical and vinyl favourites. 61-keys, touch response, powerful on-board speakers and easy-to-use professional features.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

shad0wfax

A question about PSR-EW410 and MIDI channels

Unread post by shad0wfax »

Hi all,

I've recently bougth a brand new PSR-EW410 at a very good price (only 270 Euro), and I've been very positively impressed by its quality considering the price range, not only for the sounds themselves but also because of the amplification system and other functions. I especially love the 76-key format and the AUX outs. I'm more used to synthesizers and I have little experience with arrangers, and despite I've been reading the manual, I haven't found any info about the following point.

Besides using the EW410 just for fun with its arranger functions, I'd like to make some musical backings with the DAW for playing the keyboard on top of the MIDI data. In some cases, I would need to change the sound to be played by the keyboard in the middle of a song, but AFAIK, there's no way for doing this other than selecting it manually from the panel. The "dual" function does not allow to select either the "main" or the "dual" sound, as it always plays both at once (i.e. you cannot play only the "dual" sound).

One possible workaround would be to use MIDI program change messages in the relevant channel only to change the sounds on the fly without touching the panel. But I haven't been able to find which MIDI channel corresponds to the actual keyboard sound. If I send MIDI data to channel 1 and for instance I change the sound (via MIDI program change data) to select a trumpet, for instance, the keyboard still plays a piano sound. According to the manual, the keyboard does _trasmit_ MIDI data on channels 1, 2 and 3 (main, dual and split, respectively), but it does not seem to work the other way round (for _receiving_ data). Are there any settings to do this? The EW410 receives MIDI data on all 16 channels (I've already checked that), but none of the channels seems to correspond with the keyboard itself!

Any clues about that? Thanks in advance.

Loopmasters Sale
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: A question about PSR-EW410 and MIDI channels

Unread post by parametric »

It's almost certainly to do with the precise setup you're using. . . . .

Modern boards have a bewildering range of capabilities, which unfortunately goes hand in hand with enormous complexity . . .

Midi and audio over USB is quite a deep topic. It works for sure, but setup is critical. :think:

I think you will find the answers in here - somewhere . . . :idea:

computer_en_rm_m0.pdf
(506.16 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
shad0wfax

Thanks for your reply! In fact I already saw that document, but it does not seem to have any clues for this specific point. It should be related to some kind of configuration on the EW410 itself, or maybe it is simply not possible :(

Best regards

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

shad0wfax wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:54 pm If I send MIDI data to channel 1 and for instance I change the sound (via MIDI program change data) to select a trumpet, for instance, the keyboard still plays a piano sound.
When you execute this, does the 410 show the voice changed to Trumpet?

If not then it's not getting - or understanding the command. (Check the 410 IS set to receive such via midi . . .)

It could be that you need an instrument definition file for the PSR-410 - for your DAW?

With THAT installed and selected for the piece you are working on - the DAW then KNOWS what the 410 contains,

and where they are inside the 410. The correct midi commands/sysex should then be sent . . . . ?

perhaps this helps?

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
shad0wfax

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the delay (I've been very busy these days at work).

I've made some testing, and these are the results:

* The EW410 keyboard transmits MIDI data to the DAW (just as expected)
* The EW410 responds to MIDI data in all 16 channels (again, as expected), including MIDI CC, program changes, etc.

BUT:

* None of the MIDI channels seems to correspond to the actual keyboard sound (i.e. the sound you play when pressing the keys in the EW410). When you send MSB/LSB/PC data from the DAW, no matter the channel, the actual sound that appears on the screen and that sounds when you play the keyboard does not change. It seems to be "disconnected" from the MIDI incoming data.

So, it seems that the only way to change the keyboard sound is from the panel itself (which is quite a pity to me).

Best regards,
David