About "Echo"

Yamaha's best entry level keyboard for performing various styles of music, from the latest dance to classical and vinyl favourites. 61-keys, touch response, powerful on-board speakers and easy-to-use professional features.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

marcos.zy

About "Echo"

Unread post by marcos.zy »

Hey guys,

I'm totally new to keyboards. Please, sorry for the disturbance. :(

I've noticed that when I play my keyboard the keys and played sounds have not that "echo" that piano has, when we play it.

Is there a way to sustain more the sound of the notes while we are playing? Mine is an Yamaha PSR-E463.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: About "Echo"

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I think you might mean "reverb"?

If you go into the Function menu and use the CATEGORY buttons to step through the available functions, eventually you should see the "M.Reverb" (or "Main Reverb") function. Use the "+" or plus button to increase the amount of reverb for the selected voice-- the value can range from 0 (no reverb) to 127 (maximum amount of reverb).

There are also functions for "D.Reverb" and "S.Reverb," for the amount of reverb that's applied to the Dual Voice and Split Voice.

And just past the various Split Voice functions is a function for selecting the Reverb Type. You may or may not be able to tell a lot of difference in the various reverb types unless you've got the voice's reverb level cranked way up, but one reverb type is supposed to simulate playing in a small concert hall, another simulates a large hall, etc.

PS -- Don't worry about "the disturbance." That's why we're here. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Note, you can also connect a sustain pedal or foot switch to your keyboard, and use it to sustain notes similarly to depressing the damper (or sustain) pedal while playing a piano. But I think you're probably talking about reverb, not sustain.
Michael Rideout

marcos.zy

Yes, I'll think in a sustain pedal, also.

That's really that! Reverb! I got now! But I can only select it and use it while the category item is being displayed on display. If I exit, the reverb returns to its default value. Is there a way to leave the value at the value I want? Do you know that?

Also, once again, thank you very much for your great help and kindness.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Each of the preset voices has a specific set of default values for most of the keyboard's functions. For instance, if you change the M.Volume to make the Main Voice louder, then choose a different voice, the M.Volume will get changed to the default for the new voice, thereby undoing the change that you'd made to the M.Volume.

All of the other Main Voice settings-- M.Octave, M.Pan, M.Reverb, M.Chorus, M.Attack, M.Release, M.Cutoff, and M.Reso.-- will also be changed to their default values for that preset voice. In fact, when you select a Main Voice it will even automatically set the Dual Voice for you to a default voice that's been preselected by Yamaha as going particularly well with the Main Voice you've selected. Other settings like the Reverb and Chorus types, Harmony, and Arpeggio will also be set to specific default values for that preset voice.

Consequently, you should always first choose which voice you want to use, before making any changes to the other settings, as changing the settings first and then choosing a different voice will almost certainly wipe out the changes you just made.

If you choose a voice and then modify the settings from the default values for that voice, once you've finished modifying the settings to something you like you'll need to save all of the settings to a Registration. That way you can recall that particular Registration at a later time and restore everything to the values you'd chosen.

You can save 4 Registrations per Bank, and there are 8 Banks that you can select, so that gives you 32 Registrations in all for saving your favorite setups.

You can also save everything-- your User Songs (if you've recorded any), your User Styles (if you've loaded any), and your 32 Registrations-- to a User File on a USB thumb drive. Up to 100 different User Files can be stored on a given thumb drive. Thus, you can save up to 3200 Registrations (plus the User Songs and User Styles that went with them) on each USB thumb drive, so in effect you can have an unlimited number of Registrations saved. Then it's just a matter of inserting the desired thumb drive into your keyboard, loading the desired User File, and recalling the desired Registration to restore all of the keyboard's settings to a specific setup that you'd saved.
Michael Rideout

marcos.zy

SeaGtGruff wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Each of the preset voices has a specific set of default values for most of the keyboard's functions. For instance, if you change the M.Volume to make the Main Voice louder, then choose a different voice, the M.Volume will get changed to the default for the new voice, thereby undoing the change that you'd made to the M.Volume.

All of the other Main Voice settings-- M.Octave, M.Pan, M.Reverb, M.Chorus, M.Attack, M.Release, M.Cutoff, and M.Reso.-- will also be changed to their default values for that preset voice. In fact, when you select a Main Voice it will even automatically set the Dual Voice for you to a default voice that's been preselected by Yamaha as going particularly well with the Main Voice you've selected. Other settings like the Reverb and Chorus types, Harmony, and Arpeggio will also be set to specific default values for that preset voice.

Consequently, you should always first choose which voice you want to use, before making any changes to the other settings, as changing the settings first and then choosing a different voice will almost certainly wipe out the changes you just made.

If you choose a voice and then modify the settings from the default values for that voice, once you've finished modifying the settings to something you like you'll need to save all of the settings to a Registration. That way you can recall that particular Registration at a later time and restore everything to the values you'd chosen.

You can save 4 Registrations per Bank, and there are 8 Banks that you can select, so that gives you 32 Registrations in all for saving your favorite setups.
Many thanks. I'm trying now to use this "registration" feature. Great tips. Thanks a lot! :)

Do you mean that "registration memory" set of buttons?
SeaGtGruff wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:08 pm
You can also save everything-- your User Songs (if you've recorded any), your User Styles (if you've loaded any), and your 32 Registrations-- to a User File on a USB thumb drive. Up to 100 different User Files can be stored on a given thumb drive. Thus, you can save up to 3200 Registrations (plus the User Songs and User Styles that went with them) on each USB thumb drive, so in effect you can have an unlimited number of Registrations saved. Then it's just a matter of inserting the desired thumb drive into your keyboard, loading the desired User File, and recalling the desired Registration to restore all of the keyboard's settings to a specific setup that you'd saved.
And, how to load all of this, please?

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yes, there are (IIRC) 5 buttons set together with "REGISTRATION MEMORY" written above them.

The leftmost has (IIRC) "BANK" written above it and "MEMORY" written below it; it has 2 uses depending on whether you just press it (i.e., press and release), or press and hold it.

To choose any of the 8 Registration Banks, press the "BANK" button and the LCD display will show the current Bank number. To select a different Bank number, use any of the following 3 methods: (1) Enter the desired number "1" through "8" on the number pad that has the 10 digits "0" through "9" arranged like the numbers on a phone. (2) Use the "+" and "-" buttons which are on either side of the "0" on the number pad to increment or decrement the displayed Bank number. (3) Rotate the large Dial that has a little fingertip indentation on one side to increment or decrement the displayed Bank number. Note that once you've selected a particular Registration Bank, it will stay selected until you change to a different Bank number, so you don't need to go through this Bank-selection process each time you want to save or recall a Registration.

To save a Registration, press and hold the "MEMORY" button, then press any of the buttons to the right, "1" through "4." All of the current settings will be saved to the selected Registration.

To recall a Registration, simply press the appropriate button, "1" through "4," all by itself. In this way you can instantly switch to any of 4 different setups of a given Bank while you're playing, just by tapping a single button.

If you want to recall a Registration that's in a different Bank, press Bank, then the desired number "1" through "8" (I think that's the quickest way rather than trying to use the "+" and "-" buttons or the dial), then press the appropriate Registration button.
Michael Rideout

marcos.zy

Great to know, thank you very much.

So, am I right when supposing we can have 8 banks, and that "banks" are as sets of settings?

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yes, the keyboard's memorized settings are organized into 8 sets of memories called Banks, and each Bank contains 4 memories called Registrations. :)
Michael Rideout

marcos.zy

Hum, I think I've understood. :)

Many thanks!