Yamaha PSS x80 series sound editor - bobby's PSSedit

This section is for Yamaha downloads that do not fall under one of the other categories

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

AndyHornBlower
Great Britain

Yamaha PSS x80 series sound editor - bobby's PSSedit

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:05 pm

This is probably the only really useful sound / patch editor for the Yamaha Portasound PSS-480/580/680 series, which were 2 operator FM keyboards, with mini keys and MIDI.

They have five patch slots, officially called "banks" (a bit confusing - each bank just holds one user patch). This software lets you download all five banks, to a PC running Windows XP or later - I've tried XP and Windows 7 Pro x64. You can then edit them, and send them back to the keyboard. It gives you access to some parameters which the user interface hides. Unfortunately, the MIDI spec only allows transferring a complete patch, so live tweaking isn't really an option. It's fairly fast though.

It was written by a guy called bobby, who so far only posted in this forum once. I hope he'll post again.

He also provided the source code, and I have been able to recompile it with Visual Studio (6, I think - an old copy), running on XP, in "XP Mode", ie. inside the Microsoft virtual machine, In Windows 7 Pro. You won't need to do that to use it, but if you ever decided to extend it, that's how you'd start. I never took it any further, but if someone knows Visual Basic, they could.

Here are the downloads I have for it, since they were quite hard to find and won't be around for ever.

There are two main versions, one that comes with the runtime for Visual Basic, and one which doesn't... I think. I'm sure you'll figure out which is easiest to get working. There are also a collection of patches which Bobby provided, and the source code.

PSSEdit.zip
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
PSSEditNoVB.zip
(375.01 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
PSSbanks.zip
(24.99 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
PSSEditSrc.zip
(346.01 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Yamaha PSS x80 series sound editor - bobby's PSSedit

Unread post by Saul » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for taking time to work on those and for putting up the downloads ((i)) ((i)) ((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
AndyHornBlower
Great Britain

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 pm

No problem :)

To be clear; although I recompiled the source code, using Windows XP, that was just to see if I'd be able to make changes to the software if I wanted to. The downloads I've provided are exactly what bobby distributed, not a version recompiled by me.
Last edited by AndyHornBlower on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyHornBlower
Great Britain

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Here's a youtube video on using PSS Edit, which I watched a while ago. It's a bit rough but it's useful for getting started.

Also, here's some notes I made when I was getting the hang of using it:

Receiving patches from PSS-x80 synth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Press Receive SysEx button in PSS Edit, then:

Press MIDI send button on PSS-x80, twice, then press Inc or Dec.

The first five things listed are the patch "banks" (one patch per bank!). Ignore the rest.

Sending changes from PSS Edit
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Set the Bank number, at top left, for the slot it should go into.

Press Send From Editor. The patch is stored directly to the indicated "bank" button, not in a temporary edit buffer

Sometimes the display shows ERR. It doesn't appear to be a problem, necessarily, but the only way I can find to clear it is to turn the synth off and back on again. It might be necessary to restart PSS Edit too, or at least select the MIDI controller In and Out again.

Opening from a file
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fairly simple, but after opening it, it needs to be selected, from the library list, before sending it to the synth. I keep getting that wrong, and sending dog knows what.

Keep the patches in a folder with a fairly short path name, because it tries to show the whole path, and the box can't be resized or scrolled horizontally, so the file name gets chopped off.

Unknown parameters
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These aren't defined in the MIDI spec, but they are different for some of the built in patches - bobby's provided a folder full of those. I assume he got them by selecting a preset voice then pressing Store and a "bank" button, so he could import them to the editor.

It's possible the extra bits don't do anything, of course. Maybe the patches were imported from a similar synth, which used them.

Return to “Other Yamaha Downloads”