Yamaha PSS x80 series sound editor - bobby's PSSedit

This section is for Yamaha downloads that do not fall under one of the other categories

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Yamaha PSS x80 series sound editor - bobby's PSSedit

Unread post by Saul »

Ok, happy to leave it as it is then. Oh and congrats on that 100 posts! ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
AndyHornBlower

VIP

Unread post by AndyHornBlower »

Slow the spread of #covid19 Coronavirus : #Masks4All #masks4all
zaxxon

Unread post by zaxxon »

hey, thanks once again for the very interesting info guys :)

Saul: i didn't see any battery inside when i got the back cover off

Andy: thanks for the tech info, i dont really have enough knowledge and (at the moment) free time to delve into getting some kind of more permanent memory save feature installed in the PSS-580, well it was only cheap and there are lots of other keyboards out there, i suppose that's an advantage of a more recent keyboard - there will be more chance that it is going to have some more modern permanent memory saving capability without the need of eg. batteries like older devices had to rely on

regarding the other things discussed, i think that's a good idea mentioned above and got me thinking;
in this modern day with lofs of things coming out of china quite cheap and so on,
i wonder if there is a keyboard/synth out there which is inexpensive but has some nice features
(built in speaker or speakers is important to me as i need to use the keyboard anywhere quickly, without having to do things like rebuild patches which have been lost due to power disconnection etc) - well the story is basically i have been doing various computer music for different formats like; most recently the vectrex console, and in the past amiga, and soon the commodore 64 (just learning that at the moment) ...
i just need to work out some chords now and then, fast, so i just need to turn on the keyboard, a sound i like is already waiting for me (or can be called up, fast), work out some chords (speakers present already on the keyboard, no need for external amplifiers/speakers) .. then done, switch off again, unplug adapter, then if i come back a month or two later my settings are still remembered...

well maybe should as you suggested start a separate thread about some 'ok' budget keyboards for someone who just needs to work out some chords and notes sometimes, using reasonably sounding instruments -- so in my opinion, they do need to sound a bit better than the default standard PSS-580 instruments :wink: which are, not so great i think .. (hopefully that's not blasphemy to say that here) :D

thanks again guys
ps. i felt sorry for the poor horse being beaten (edit: oh wait it's dead anyway haha).. .. well too late anyway i made some changes :shifty:

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

That old horse has definitely seen better days! ;)

Most keyboards will retain their presets and user sounds when powered off. Actually I have never had a keyboard that did not retain sounds and it's getting on for 35-40 keyboards I have owned over the last 30 years or so...not counting the loaners from Yamaha, Korg and Roland.

So there are plenty out there that will do exactly what you need but of course all depends on budget and just how good you want the sounds to be?

Maybe start a new thread "Best budget keyboard under x amount" ?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
mrex

Unread post by mrex »

Thanks Everyone for this!

I've had an old Yamaha PSS 480 sitting here since the 90s. A roommate bought off ebay back then and left it when she moved out because it just didn't work. Last fall, I researched it and brought it back to life by re-coating the membrane buttons. I also found a lot of posts about how cool this little "cheapo" synth is, including some great Youtube videos of the sounds you could generate with its FM synth digital controls. And I found this thread, with Bobby's software and your comments. When I saw the software, I downloaded it and knew I had to try it.

Now I have it hooked up to a laptop and a small Behringer sound board with an Effectron II and a rack reverb unit (among other things). I've just spent the last few hours drinking some beer, downloading Andy's patches, and playing with this thing, including leading on top of its cheesy rythm section. What a blast.

Andy your "long" patch with some slapback echo and reverb and my bad playing has probably freaked out a few of my neighbors. Don't get me wrong, I'm a guitarist, so I make no claim to being any good on a keyboard. But I surprised myself, and just had a blast.

Thanks again, you've made my night.

AndyHornBlower

VIP

mrex wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:58 am Andy your "long" patch with some slapback echo and reverb and my bad playing has probably freaked out a few of my neighbors. Don't get me wrong, I'm a guitarist, so I make no claim to being any good on a keyboard. But I surprised myself, and just had a blast.

Thanks again, you've made my night.
You're welcome mrex. All credit to bobby for the patch collection though - I just added the notes on how to install it all.

I've switched to Martin Tarenskeen's Ctrlr panel, for the patch editor, but mostly because I use Ctrlr for some other things, and because I've been meaning to learn more about how that's done. I guess either works... his panel is nice though:

http://ctrlr.martintarenskeen.nl/

You also need Ctrlr to use it - which is free, either as a stand-alone program, or in VST form for use inside a DAW. I'm not a big DAW user, but they can sometimes be useful to connect a few things up via MIDI:

http://ctrlr.org/ (downloads for the software are on the home page - ignore the Downloads menu)

squishmusic

Unread post by squishmusic »

This (580) was my very FIRST keyboard, well and any music instrument.
Was bought from Boots (back in the day when they had a music and photo service dept).
I was in that 'Wanna-be-a-popstar-teen' age and I remember fondly sitting with the Radio (Top40) on and banging on the keys trying to play along. In essence this keyboard got me into music school and onto writing music and also synthesis.
If it hadnt this digital synthesizer section I might never had looked into making my own sounds, but I did and this made some nice digi-twangy-weird sounds. I went onto to read about MIDI, FM synthesis and onto buy a TG33. I kept this for many years and used it as a MIDI controller to record my bits into a Yammy QY and trigger my sound module. Good times! I dont remember when I sold it, but I know I bought a DJX - which I held onto! Also a great 'home-keyboard' but with a much bigger 'good-times' factor! :) :dance:

music@https://soundcloud.com/squishmusic
https://www.facebook.com/squishmusic/

//
Gear: Alesis Micron, Casio VL1, Korg Electribe ES2, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Yamaha QY70, Yamaha SY35, Yamaha MDF2, A&H ZED10, Zoom B1on :: iOS: Nanoloop, Nanostudio, iMPC, iMaschine.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
bobby

Unread post by bobby »

Hi guys,

my old web site is still up and running, and it is actually a web space from my internet provider - it will not be deleted anytime soon:
members.chello.at/bobby100/
PSSEdit is under "My old programs", and it is really old - I wrote it 19 years ago :)

Sometime in 2015, I got an email from a guy named Laurent - he re-wrote the PSSEdit in Java and made it multi-platform, fixed some bugs etc. etc:
facebook.com/PssWaveEditor
So, get the PssWaveEditor - it is newer, and probably better (I could not test it as my PSS lies at my grandma's house, some 600 miles away from here).

In between, there was a project from Templarseries to write an editor for PSS x80, but it seems it never got finished:
templarseries.atspace.com/pss480.html

squishmusic

Unread post by squishmusic »

Thanks for those links. Brill!
I am trying to acquire a 480/580 again.
Im particularly pleased that the editor can run in Mac :D
I noticed this Cntlr link over and over - are those freeware programs and would they run in say Audacity, or it needs to be a more sophisticated DAW?

music@https://soundcloud.com/squishmusic
https://www.facebook.com/squishmusic/

//
Gear: Alesis Micron, Casio VL1, Korg Electribe ES2, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Yamaha QY70, Yamaha SY35, Yamaha MDF2, A&H ZED10, Zoom B1on :: iOS: Nanoloop, Nanostudio, iMPC, iMaschine.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Hey Bobby, good to see you on the forum (Y)

Great to see people still writing editors for these old keyboards. ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

AndyHornBlower

VIP

bobby wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 pm Hi guys,

my old web site is still up and running, and it is actually a web space from my internet provider - it will not be deleted anytime soon:
members.chello.at/bobby100/
PSSEdit is under "My old programs", and it is really old - I wrote it 19 years ago :)

Sometime in 2015, I got an email from a guy named Laurent - he re-wrote the PSSEdit in Java and made it multi-platform, fixed some bugs etc.
Hi bobby. Thanks for making PSSedit. As I remember, I put the downloads here because I initially had trouble finding them. I'd read about it, but the link that was given was flagged by my antivirus, at the time... probably MBAM. It took me a while to find a source which it didn't flag, so I decided to put the files I found here, to make it easier for people to find them.

I tried PssWaveEditor but I couldn't figure out how to get patches from the PSS-480 to the software to edit them. It seemed I could only create one in the software, from scratch. I didn't find any instructions either, but I don't do Facebook so maybe that's where they were. I seem to remember finding a forum discussion, somewhere, saying that it was send only, which did seem to be the case.

AndyHornBlower

VIP

squishmusic wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 pm I noticed this Cntlr link over and over - are those freeware programs and would they run in say Audacity, or it needs to be a more sophisticated DAW?
I've never owned a Mac, but I've used Ctrlr in Windows with Cantabile (a less well known DAW). It works with the free version, but I got the cheapest paid version which lets me assign physical controls to the virtual knobs. It's not as useful to do that as for most synths though because the PSS doesn't respond to changes until you send the updated patch, or "bank" as Yamaha called it at the time.

Bank files aren't particularly large, but they're large enough so that you wouldn't want the whole thing sent each time you moved a knob... and especially not during you moving a knob, as it passes through each position. So, it's normally done by making a few changes, then pressing a "send" button to see the effect.

I think the only problem on Macs is OS version dependencies. It seems the trick is to try different versions of Ctrlr if it won't work for you - they seem to keep a lot of old versions available, and the differences are probably not the large, in most cases.