USB Format issue

Resources and links for Replacement Floppy Drives, Floppy Drive Adapters and USB Floppy Driver Emulators.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
johnjohn

USB Format issue

Unread post by johnjohn » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi, I have an ancient Yamaha Clavinova CVP-79A but it's in perfect condition, so didn't want to get rid of it. I wanted to replace the 3.5inch floppy with a floppy emulator using a usb stick. The unit arrived today and I was a pretty straight forward job removed the old unit, fitting the emulator (cables just plugged into the new unit), put everything back together and it all powered up. I input my usb stick on the emulator, switched on and....keyboard still works, power going to the emulator, all the lights work, but little else. Back onto the internet for a bit more investigation, so looks like I need a formatting tool for my usb stick. Sourced the software and formatted my usb stick to look like 100 x 1.44mb floppy drives. On my pc, it is showing everything as fine, but when I plug the usb stick into the emulator, I still can't get the keyboard to recognise the usb stick is there, just get the error message 'NO DISK' Any idea what I am doing wrong please?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USB Format issue

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:26 am

Hi johnjohn, welcome to the forums :) Can you give us more info about the emulator you are using and also the software to format the USB stick? Might help us figure out what is going on.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:00 am

The software to prepare the Sticks are often specific to a particular model of emulator, so it should be the

correct SW for YOUR particular emulator . . . (should have arrived on a mini-CD with the Emulator)

There may also be some button pressing to be done on the emulator to put it in the right "mode" . . . ?

Again, these may vary between Emulator Models . .

I don't have one of these emulators myself, but you might have to format the partition you have chosen

IN the Clavinova itself - for it to be recognised?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
johnjohn

Unread post by johnjohn » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:52 am

Hi, and thank you for your responses, I didn't realise formatting software could be unique to the brand. There was a mini cd in the box, but it is mostly corrupt. There was formatting software hidden away in one of the folders, but I can't extract it. I bought this through amazon, so I'll go back through them to request they send me the software electronically, and see what happens on receipt. Thank you again. John
johnjohn

Unread post by johnjohn » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 pm

My apologies, I thought I'd updated this earlier today. Anyway, I didn't have any luck with Amazon, only choice I seem to have was to return the item!!! I'm pretty sure the emulator is working, so will carry on. I actually went back to the manufacturer in China (http://www.modoking.com/fusbfloppy-to-u ... r_c84.html) and asked them to send me the formatting software. When I woke up this morning, the software was in my mailbox, so a quick response.
There were 3 files sent to me, a disk manager - which unfortunately was all in Chinese, not that it mattered as it didn't do anything no matter what I clicked on and 2 different version of formatting software - Tried those both out with no joy. I'm pretty convinced my problem is with the Yamaha keyboard, in that it just does not recognise the emulator is connected. All I get is a 'no disc' error message. I read on one of the boards that on some of the older models, you actually have to re-wire some of the pins to fool the keyboard something is there - so I think I'll just bit the bullet and leave it alone. I still have my floppy drive, so thinking of just putting that back in unless there are any other suggestions? Tks
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:27 am

These Emulators have always been problematic, ever since it was discovered that they could work for some keyboards.

As you can see from that link - they were designed for cnc and industrial knitting machines who's architecture

we know nothing of . . .

Having said all that, much research has been done, and some users have had success using them . . .

One place to look is in the SY85/TG500 Forum. IIRC, the Gotek brand drives have found favour - but there are a

number of those too . . . Do note, that some support both 720k and 1.44Mb (or can be made to) and some not.

The impression I got was that you keep on buying and trying until you find one that works - so I didn't go that route

with my SY85. I just repaired the Drive . . . .

There are ebay suppliers that do modded modern drives for some boards, but you need to check that it specifically

supports your Clavinova . . . .

Another place to start is to examine the original drive and note any Maker and especially Model no.

Do a search on THOSE and it may reveal further information about what that drive might fit?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:40 am

THIS looks to be EXACTLY what you need, but it's a scary Price . . . . :o

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Floppy-Disk-USB ... rk:16:pf:0

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Try formatting as a 720k disc and see how that goes.

Rara 0-)
Gliga 1

Retired for a while for repairs:
Dr550mk2,SR-16,D110
Yamaha: SY35, SY85 (8.5mb), TX7, PSR 4600 - Roland: Juno106, MC307, MKB200, SE70
Kawai: XD5, Korg: Poly800Mk2 (moog slayer mod)
Casio: MA-201 E-MU: - ESI-2000 (128mb)
Digitech studio 400 - Tascam Porta 5 HS, MM1, - Studiomaster: Fusion
SX Bass (modded chinese fender P knock off - fat wires, Jap caps,pots, Dimarzio DP250, Ernie Ball strings)
SY77,FZ1,CZ1000,CZ5000, MKB200
User avatar Netherlands
DFMF

Unread post by DFMF » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi There,

I have similar problem.
Installed a GOTEK (3digit) emulator in my PSR8000. Through the menu of the Psr8000 I have been formatting the usb stick in the emulator. It goes ahead doing that, USB light flickers but when finished the display states: insert disk to be formatted! When I pull USB out and back in again it states: Wrong disk!. Anyone advice on this?
awallwall

Unread post by awallwall » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi,
I´m new to Yamaha Musicians and I am experiencing the same problem and would appreciate any help.
I have just bought and fitted a Gotek New Version SFR1M44-U100K emulator in my Clavinova CVP 203 digital piano to replace the original Floppy Disk reader. It was a simple task of removing one and replacing it with the other.
There was no accompanying instruction or cd with the emulator.
The only reaction I get when the piano is turned on is an invitation to format the pendrive or that there is a disk error. I am tempted to throw the emulator in the bin and go back to the floppy disk with all its limitations.
Does anyone out there have the magic solution? I would be eternally thankful.
Arthur
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi Arthur, welcome to the forums. Glad to see you joined us :)

These floppy emulators are sometimes a bit hit and miss. Sometimes using a different usb stick can help, some brands being better quality than others. Also the software for these emulators sometimes needs to be downloaded from the makers website. Software is here http://www.gotekemulator.com/Download.asp

Looking at the manual it appears you can format the usb stick in the emulator itself or through software on the PC. I would guess the PC method would be more flexible.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors