FM EP & Strings

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
fbcpraise

FM EP & Strings

Unread post by fbcpraise » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Good people, I am a humble church musician and NOT a keyboard guy. Please tell me what I'm missing.

On the MODX 7. In the "Keyboard" category, the patch "FM EP and Strings": I get the electric piano sound and no strings at all. When I open it in Performance the strings are on part 4; they are not muted, the volume value is 108. The slider has no effect; the knob brings no strings.

And by the way, when you hit the "audition" button, the strings sound glorious!

I'm brand new to the MODX. A little help, please!
Last edited by fbcpraise on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZT Scheer

Re: FM EP & Strings

Unread post by ZT Scheer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 pm

fbcpraise wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:55 pm
Good people, I am a humble church musician and NOT a keyboard guy. Please tell me what I'm missing.

On the MODX 7. In the "Keyboard" category, the patch "FM EP and Strings": I get the electric piano sound and no strings at all. When I open it in Performance the strings are on part 4; they are not muted, the volume value is 108. The slider has no effect; the knob brings no strings.

And by the way, when you hit the "audition" button, the strings sound glorious!

I'm brand new to the MODX. A little help, please!
Try using the SuperKnob, or move the Mod Wheel ... the strings are likely mixed with one of those two controls.
fbcpraise

Unread post by fbcpraise » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:16 am

Thanks for the reply! But no, the super knob just changes the tone a bit, and the mod wheel gives it a tremolo effect. Does anyone else have this issue on their MODX? It's brand new, but I was thinking of doing a hard reset...
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:21 am

I think it ought to be possible to alter WHAT the SuperKnob controls, somewhere in the settings for that performance?

I don't have a MODX myself, perhaps one of our users could confirm? . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
dfahrner

Unread post by dfahrner » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 am

Part 4 of this performance, "Str Ensemble", is the string sound, and the amplitude level is set to 0 for Elements 1 and 2, the elements used in the part....maybe something else changes these amplitude levels (something in the Audition sequence certainly does) but I sure can't figure out what might do that on the control panel...you can edit the performance and increase the Element Levels (under Edit / Part4 / Element1 (and Element2) / Amplitude / Level/Pan) to some reasonable number (like 75) and then use Slider 4 (with Sliders set to Part / 1-4) to control the string volume...

df
User avatar Portugal
eduraf

Unread post by eduraf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi,

Start by reading this tutorial:
yamahasynth.com_slash_modx-category_slash_mastering-modx-the-basics

You also study the other tutorials on this page from Yamaha Synths:
yamahasynth.com_slash_modx-category_slash_mastering-modx-article-series

Hope to have helped you!

P.S. Also saving for a MODX7 this November :dance:
fbcpraise

Unread post by fbcpraise » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks, guys, I'm back online now and will give these things a try. Still, given the name of the performance, I think the strings are supposed to be standard here. I'm thinking of doing a reset, since I'm really pretty early in the game and haven't done too much to "individualize" the synth. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, thank you all.

gb
User avatar Portugal
eduraf

Unread post by eduraf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 pm

You are welcome!
fbcpraise

Unread post by fbcpraise » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:40 pm

dfahrner wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 am
Part 4 of this performance, "Str Ensemble", is the string sound, and the amplitude level is set to 0 for Elements 1 and 2, the elements used in the part....maybe something else changes these amplitude levels (something in the Audition sequence certainly does) but I sure can't figure out what might do that on the control panel...you can edit the performance and increase the Element Levels (under Edit / Part4 / Element1 (and Element2) / Amplitude / Level/Pan) to some reasonable number (like 75) and then use Slider 4 (with Sliders set to Part / 1-4) to control the string volume...

df
So, dfahrner... this seems to be true of your MODX also; is that right? So this could just be a bug, and I'm not the only one dealing with it?
dfahrner

Unread post by dfahrner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm sure you're not the only one...I have two MODXs, a 7 bought at first release and an 8 a few months ago, and "FM EP & Strings" are the same on both, with Part4 "Str Ensemble" Element amplitude levels set to 0...it's not a "bug", since things are operating exactly as they are set for this part (whoever set up this Performance must have had a reason)...

You might as well go in and try to edit "FM EP & Strings" to make the string sound usable for you; setting Part4 Element levels higher will probably work, but there are lots of ways to solve problems in the MODX...you're going to have to start learning to edit sounds on your synth at some point, because the preset sounds are never exactly what even church musicians or non-keyboard guys need...

df

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”