Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Re: MODX8 for £989 in Black Friday deal

Unread post by vertig0spin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 pm

pologuy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm
I thought The Grandeur was a recording of an older Steinway...?
I don't know what the age of the piano is, but it sure sounds awesome. Age doesn't always mean worse with grand pianos.
pologuy wrote:
vertig0spin wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:25 pm
Yes and Yes. To my ears the CFX on the Montage is better & more realistic as an authentic acoustic grand.
Bosendorfer is great, very well done, and I love the sound of the Ravenscroft 275 also...heard them both many times on many different vids, plus I already have/play the Bosendorfer on my Montage, but it's not even close to the CFX on the Montage IMHO!
So you are comparing what you heard in a video, YouTube, to the actual instrument, CFX on the Montage...?
Yes I am!

I've done enough comparisons with high quality recordings to hear the difference (hundreds, if not more than a thousand over the past several years) ... Piano is the holy grail for me, so I have developed a good ear for it!
And at least a third of these recordings are actual acoustic grand pianos played through the highest quality mics/equipment. And yes I've played many different acoustic pianos including some high quality grands, so I can tell the difference between something that is recorded and an acoustic piano; however many recordings are done so well that they come quite close to an actual grand.
The video you shared isn't even a good audio quality recording of the Ravenscroft. But I always take that into account & find really good ones. I've compared all the pianos using high quality recordings, including numerous different high quality ones of the Ravenscroft...using awesome quality headphones. Unless the speakers used are really high end, they can't quite handle the frequencies of pianos specifically, like headphones can...especially with pianos that don't just sound like well recorded ones, but actually sound more like an acoustic piano, as is the case with the CFX on the Montage!
I've also taken recordings of the CFX & Bosendorfer that I did myself digitally via USB connection to a DAW (which sounds exactly like it did when I actually played it), and compared them to high quality recordings on YouTube that were basically done the same without losing any quality, by either Yamaha or someone at a good studio, and those sound exactly the same as mine. I've also compared them to high quality recordings of an acoustic CFX and Bosendorfer, and they stand up extremely well. My experience with playing/hearing the CFX Concert with no reverb using the Montage through a pair of Adam Audio A7X's is the closest I've ever experienced to the sound of an actual acoustic grand. It was hard to tell the difference when I closed my eyes...

I've also recently sampled my favorite VST piano using SampleRobot (& Wavosaur utility) without leaving the digital realm and it captured the velocity layers perfectly (after a great deal of testing). I then did a lot of programming to make it work on the Montage/MODX and when I play my sampled Montage version side by side with the original VST, I think it actually sounds a bit better now with the additional/blended resonance elements, as well as the key off damper elements, not to mention a few dull keys/notes that I fixed & made better. The whole process took over 2 months of testing, sampling & programming to get it right. I then programmed 8 different Performances, each with its own Audition that I recorded the MIDI in Pro Tools, and packaged it as a library. Have a listen:

Although this is my favorite piano, and by far my favorite C7, it does not sound quite as much like an actual acoustic grand piano as the CFX does! Yamaha did a phenomenal job of capturing/programming the CFX... I've actually tweaked Yamaha's programming, as well as Wojtek Olszak's, blended the Epic Grand resonance with the Montage resonance effect, fixed the Key Off Dampers with an envelope using the Dogleg curve with a negative ratio, as well as a few other adjustments...
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar United States of America
GregC

Unread post by GregC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 pm
pologuy wrote:
I thought The Grandeur was a recording of an older Steinway...?
I don't know what the age of the piano is, but it sure sounds awesome. Age doesn't always mean worse with grand pianos.

Age doesn't always mean worse...
etc etc

Thats a discussion point that I see now and then. Staying with context here.

As in " todays tech is much better for samples vs the tech used for samples 5 years ago "

When I see this I think ' assumption' .

Its 90% [ pick a high #} the quality of the original
instrument and the skill of the person doing the work '.

If I am close to being correct, we have many folks convinced 'by the shiny new thing every year'.
There is much more to it, IOW.
User avatar United States of America
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 pm

vertig0spin wrote:

Age doesn't always mean worse with grand pianos.

Never said it did :D
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:15 am

pologuy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:37 pm
vertig0spin wrote:
Age doesn't always mean worse with grand pianos.
Never said it did :D
That just reminded me, I have the American Grand library for the Montage, which is an older Steinway D from New York!
I really enjoy it, as it definitely has the Steinway sound and is a nice contrast/addition to the CFX & Bosendorfer. :wink:

With a bit of tweaking/programming, I think I can get it close up there with The Grandeur or Ravenscroft...
This is a fairly good quality acoustic Steinway I may use to compare it against as well, played by Anna Fedorova:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyqxFSUfD7A

This guy does a pretty good job of comparing the sound of the Bösendorfer Imperial 290, Steinway D-274 and Yamaha CFX acoustic pianos, with fairly decent quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2GYYV8JSqM

Also, 'Piano Lab' has an interesting set of videos that might be of interest, where they allow you to compare various libraries that are available for the Montage/MODX using the same recorded midi for each Performance of each library:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLTcNM ... yyQqhr1r1w

I didn't like the Digital Sound Factory ones, but getting back to the American Grand Steinway, this one gives a pretty good demo of that piano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxbR1VA ... dex=2&t=0s

I plan to find some choice notes, chords and at different velocities from some well recorded acoustic Steinways, as well as the The Grandeur & Ravenscroft, then compare them to the American Grand Steinway using a spectrum analyzer, find what EQ'ing could be tweaked to make it even better!

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”