performances on MODX8 play so bad I think I'm going to sell it

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

minimaltom
Location.: Norwich Norfolk England

performances on MODX8 play so bad I think I'm going to sell it

Unread post by minimaltom »

The way the keyboard interacts with the sound engine on the MODX is so unbalanced that without some extreme velocity editing everything sounds dull because you can never hit the keys hard enough to reach the maximum velocity without banging it like a hammer. I have the velocity curve on soft and its still impossible to get a good balanced sound out of any of the sound library.

Its obvious that the library is optimised for the Montage keybeds. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an entire overhaul of the Library made especially for MODX that you could install over the current one with every performance edit to be more inline with the MODX keybed? Or a way to adjust the velocity response curve more acurtely than just one soft setting, like I bet a soft 2 setting might just be enough.

It is remarkable that Yamaha would create an instrument that must sound so underwhelming to potential customers in a show room.

Loopmasters Sale
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: performances on MODX8 play so bad I think I'm going to sell it

Unread post by Saul »

Probably the best way to deal with this would be for Yamaha to include in the next firmware update much finer control over the velocity curves. I am pretty sure that would be a relatively easy thing to do and a lot easier than editing the library specifically for the MODX?

Having said that, personally, I have not had any issues with the velocity curves on the MODX but then I am not really what I would call a "keyboard player" as such so my perception of any deficiency in velocity is probably not the same as most?

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
minimaltom

The only problem with that approach I think is that you loose a hell of a lot of resolution of the keyboards dynamic range. I imagine although ive never played one, that with the Montage being perfectly balanced to the engine the normal curve gives a wider dynamic range than the MODX. Or is it that the better keybed of the Montage is more reactive thus giving more resolution of dynamic range that the GHS keybed simply can't provide? I saw a picture of the weights inside this keybed and wow it really looks cheap!! Still a vast improvment of the MODX6/7s keyboard which to me I think ive seen sub £80 midi keyboards with nicer keys.

Either way I personally think Yamaha shouldn't have skimped on the keybed so much but increased the price a bit.

I'm a piano player and I play a Kawaii ES100 which I know must have an extremely light action but I'd probably say yes if you aren't a big keyboard player the problem wouldn't be as apparent.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I agree that they should have put a better quality keybed in the MODX even if that meant increasing the price. But its a done deal now so any solution needs to come in the way of a firmware update.

For most people, I am guessing, they are fine with it as it is, however, even though I don't class myself as a keyboard player or pianist I do like keys that are responsive to the way I play and this "one size fits all" approach is never going to sit well with a sizeable minority of players, myself included.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
minimaltom

Yeah well theres cutting costs and then there's MODX keybeds 😄

The engine being exactly the same as the montage tho, wow! bravo, but it kind of highlights even more how bad the keys are :lol:

I predict that the next evolution, whatever that may be will address this, I think they have to. But then it seems like you said, which is baffling to me, those who like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott »

Saul wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 pm I agree that they should have put a better quality keybed in the MODX even if that meant increasing the price.
Price may not be the only factor. I think their better actions also weigh more, which means that the MODX8 could have ended up weighing quite a bit more, between the heavier action, and the possibility that it would also need a heavier chassis to support the heavier action. This might be the best action they could have put in a plastic chassis (based on their not having had any better hammer action than this in any plastic chassis board AFAIK).

minimaltom

Ok when I talk about the low quality of the keybed Im mainly refering to the MODX6/7 which is undeniably bad. Yes I guess the MODX8s keybed is probably as good an action as you could put in to keep the weight down but my problem with it is that its completely unbalanced with the engine so that you can't reach the full dynamic range of the sound without hammering the keys and the options for adjusting it are so limited, on a global level that is. I actually would have probably settled for a MODX7 except the keys like I said feel like those on a kids toy piano.

anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott »

MODX6/7 aren't great actions, but they are at least more consistent from front to back than are the actions in, say, the competitive Roland FA or Korg Krome models. That's why, with some velocity curve adjustment, I find pianos more playable on Yamaha's action than on Roland or Korg's comparable actions.

minimaltom

Yes I've come to the conclusion that you've just got to make your own edits of the sounds you want to use. If I put velocity offset and velocity depth in the common page up to around 70, patches become much more playable and natural to me, altho im sure you loose a fair chunk of dynamic range in doing so. If only you could do this on the global level. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I did ask the guys at Yamaha about all this but as is quite common these days, it could be quite a while before I receive a reply. If I do it will be from Yamaha USA as Yamaha UK never respond to anything :/:

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

minimaltom

Thanks Saul! :) I really look forward to hearing what they say. :whistle:

GuyDenruyter

Unread post by GuyDenruyter »

Matter of personal taste, I guess. I am a native piano player, used to play on 8 octave weighted keybeds, and I am quite satisfied both with the "touch" and with the velocity/expression, no problem playing very low as well as very high velocities. The only thing I miss is aftertouch, but - that I knew :).

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I don't think there is essentially anything wrong with the MODX it just needs finer control over velocity levels and a sound library that is not just a clone of the Montage library but adjusted to the keybed and velocity curves available in the MODX. This could all be rectified in software and I am sure it will be addressed at some point. The question is, when?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook