Global Moderator
Wales

Re: The New Yamaha MODX

Unread post by Derek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:30 pm
pologuy wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:27 pm
It is rather "strange" that they made it look almost exactly like the Montage...

I assume that all of the MOXF sound-packs that I have acquired will work in the MODX...
It's part of the same product line so will have the same look and feel about it.

As far as I know, Montage supports all MOTIF sounds so I don't see why the MODX would not and anyway, Yamaha want people to "upgrade" from the MOXF so it makes sense not to legacy the sounds from that keyboard.
Not sure about the MOXF, but the Montage has all of the sound samples of the Motif Range all the way back to the ES at least. I have imported sound banks I purchased for my Motif Rack ES into my Montage and played the two together. I couldn't tell the difference. Since OS 2.5, the Montage has all of the presets of the Motif XF.

So one would assume that the MODX would have similar compatibility to the MOXF?
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm
Exactly and total cost of ownership is something I had not considered when looking at the price of Montage. Which is odd because I always apply that principal when considering the cost of a Mac over a PC ;)

I am absolutely sure there will be people moaning about one thing or another where the MODX is concerned but I think this time around I can confidently predict I won't be one of them. Going by the specs and the fact that I actually asked a Yamaha engineer for most of these things I have nothing at all to complain about and THAT is a very good feeling indeed :)
Another way to look at it is that the DX7 cost £1,399 in 1983. In today's money that would cost £3,300. Or a DX7 would cost £551 today. I.e. you are getting a lot more synth for your £1,399.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Thanks for the info. Just so that doesn't disappear here it is below:

Key Features
Motion Control Synthesis unifies and controls AWM2 and FM-X sound engines
The Super Knob controls multiple parameters simultaneously for highly expressive sound interaction
Send 10/return 4 audio channels + 16 MIDI channels to your computer or iOS device via USB
Live Sets allow Performance organization without copying, changing order or renaming
4-Part Seamless Sound Switching: change Performances while holding notes without sound or effect cutoff
Direct Control Assignment assigns controls at the touch of a button
The A/D input processes external audio sources through the instrument DSP.
Motion Sequences drive synthesizer parameters through rhythmic control data you can interact with in real time
The Envelope Follower allows internal or external audio to be used as a synth parameter control source
AWM2 provides data compression without sacrificing sound quality
192-note total polyphony: 128-note stereo AWM2 + 64-note FM-X
1 GB Internal Flash memory lets you install your own samples and external libraries for a completely personalized
sound set
FM-X features 8-operator FM synthesis capable of producing incredible dynamic sound
Virtual Circuitry Modeling (VCM) re-creates the sound and behavior of vintage effects and signal processors
Sidechain automatically controls the dynamic behavior of one part from another
Vocoder effect recreates classic synth vocal sounds
USB "TO HOST" allows MIDI connectivity to your USB-equipped computer or iOS device
The USB "TO DEVICE" port allows connection of USB flash drives for loading and storing data
Rhythm Pattern is a quick and easy way to add drums or percussion to any Performance

Improved From Previous Model: MOXF
4-Part Seamless Sound Switching
27 (vs. 19) Simultaneous effects
AWM2 and FM-X 8 Operator/88
Algorithm synth engines (vs.
AWM2 only)
128-note stereo (vs. mono) AWM2
polyphony
8 Times more AWM2 Waveforms
(5.67 GB vs. 741 MB
64-note FM-X polyphony
7" TFT color, wide VGA LCD touch
screen
76-note keyboard option (MODX7)
4-in/10-out (vs. 2-in/4-out) USB
audio interface
768 MB (vs. 512 MB/1 GB
optional) internal flash memory
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:36 pm

So we definitely still have the motion sequencing and the polyphony is 128 note stereo as I thought it might be (192-note total polyphony: 128-note stereo AWM2 + 64-note FM-X)

All in all it is shaping up to be a cracking keyboard!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Looks like a nice upgrade in many ways. Personally, I wish it still had the pitch and mod wheels next to the keyboard and some more buttons so that you wouldn't have to depend on the touch screen as much, but overall it seems to be pretty good. Nice in terms of polyphony too. I just bought a used Krome 61 a few months ago to use as a MIDI controller for my Motif XF. But as always something else comes out. We'll see just how much stays the same when it is officially released. This is coming from someone who did not like the Montage. Hopefully the keybed is at least the quality of the MOXF keybeds if not better. I hope it doesn't have the midi limitations of the Montage.

Looks like they kept the sequencer since I see transport buttons!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 pm

HI Max. Welcome to the forum :)

I am used to a touch screen from various iterations of the KORG Triton and then the M3 so it has always been my preference for a user interface but I can certainly understand why some people would prefer buttons. Touch screens are really the thing now though so when looking at the list of compromises the buttons had to go...not all of course but keeping that big selection on the right would have pushed the price too high.

I personally think the MODX is going to be a great keyboard. All I need now is around a grand to buy one!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 pm
HI Max. Welcome to the forum :)

I am used to a touch screen from various iterations of the KORG Triton and then the M3 so it has always been my preference for a user interface but I can certainly understand why some people would prefer buttons. Touch screens are really the thing now though so when looking at the list of compromises the buttons had to go...not all of course but keeping that big selection on the right would have pushed the price too high.

I personally think the MODX is going to be a great keyboard. All I need now is around a grand to buy one!
Thank you for the welcome!

I guess I've never been a touch screen person. The Krome is my only touch screen device other than a phone. As long as they hold up long term I'm fine with them I guess. I've just never had much faith in their durability.

Like I said, it's nice that they kept the polyphony up there. If it is Stereo, as is believed, it already has more than double the poly of my XF8. More is better. ; :? Since they appear to have kept the sequencer, I'm guessing that you can get around the 4-part Performances still by using songs/Mixings for more than 4 parts? Nice specs though. More simultaneous FX, seamless switching. I'll have to wait for one to show up on the used market I think. Too many instruments as it is right now. And there are other things with more priority than buying another keyboard, though it's tempting after just having my used Krome in for repairs to the DC jack (previous owner broke off the plastic ring inside), and having the parts backordered for 1.5 months. Oh well. :-) I love the A/D input Off button. That would be so handy. Instead of having to bend over the keyboard to the back panel with an accordion strapped on to turn the signal up and worrying about feedback. Set it and forget it. :lol: I assume it is a plastic casing?

Excited to see what else develops. I agree that Yamaha has come up with something great. :-)
pologuy
United States of America

Unread post by pologuy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Just got this email directly from Yamaha...

New Product Announcement Live from New York!

Special Yamaha Synthesizer LIVESTREAM Event: Friday, September 14, 1PM/1300 Eastern Daylight Time

https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-synt ... ext_module
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 pm

:!: New Product Announcement Live from New York! :D

What an alarm! ...and several presenters also!

So there is a historic milestone presented? :?: ((i)) Hopefully!

Can only be the MODX? :?: 0-)

Or is there finally presented my expected HYPERSYNTH? :lol:
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 am

People on another forum are saying that they think the sequencer is gone as also on the Montage. We'll see, but maybe this is where Korg, Kurzweil, and Roland will step in.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:27 am

Montage and I think the MODX do have a sequencer of sorts but I'll let Derek take this one as he owns a Montage and I have not had a hands-on with the MODX yet.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:28 am

purcell wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 pm
:!: New Product Announcement Live from New York! :D

What an alarm! ...and several presenters also!

So there is a historic milestone presented? :?: ((i)) Hopefully!

Can only be the MODX? :?: 0-)

Or is there finally presented my expected HYPERSYNTH? :lol:
Draw your own conclusions from that one folks. I'm saying nothing...yet ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

knolan

Unread post by knolan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 am

I have to be honest - I find this release to be nothing short of depressing. If this is all that Yamaha can come up with after three years of Montage; it says to me they have made absolutely no changes in their philosophy since the dismantlement of their renowned synthesizer development capability of the 70's to the 90's.

It's Yamaha for God's sake. The company who gave the world the GX1, CS80, DX1, DX7, SY77 and VL1. And this is their response to the otherwise revolution in synthesis taking place with essentially every other manufacturer.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised however. I had hoped Reface and Montage were the flawed beginnings of a new Yamaha revolution; but it just hasn't been coming. You can bottle air, and Yamaha just don't have the expertise in-house they used to.

Alas, it seems that for another generation at least, we'll have to tolerate this drivel from what was, for a long time, THE innovative company in synthesis.

I don't know what you and they were talking about Saul - but innovation wasn't at the heart of it; and there seems to be no point to their calls for opinions on synthesis from the public. They just aren't part of the converstation with regard to what's happening inthe 21st century in music keyboard technology.

I mean - they've been parading the CS80, DX1 and others at every music fair for the past three years as part of their proud history. So the question has to be asked - which bit of all of that is not, as John Cleese would call it "bleeding obvious" to them? Just how much "quality" needs to be but into their noggans before the grey-matter starts to fire. There's nobody at home in the management structure in Yamaha.

On the launch of Reface their head of synthesis marketing - a young woman from Japan - was asked what she thought was Yamaha's best keyboard ever, and she stated that it was one of those crappy DGX digital pianos with a semi-weigthed key action - was the best Yamaha keyboard of all time. It was so pathetic; and this release is what that mindset spawns. An utter disgrace from a company of this stature. Nothing but a total disgrace.
Mighty Motif Max
United States of America

Unread post by Mighty Motif Max » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 am

Look at the third picture to the right. This is the top banner on the Yamaha Synth site.
pologuy
United States of America

Unread post by pologuy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:19 am

We obviously don't know all of the particulars...

But from what I can see so far - it's basically 3/4 (maybe more...?) of a Montage - at less than half the price...

No...?

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”