Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Yamaha MODX First Impressions

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm

modx6.jpg
Yamaha MODX
Many of you will have already seen the live feed from Yamaha USA by now and of course it was for the launch of the new Yamaha MODX or "Mo DX" as it is pronounced :)

What I have not been able to say until now is that Yamaha sent me the MODX7 and MODX8 to try out and I have both in front of me right now.

I have put my first impressions on the front of the site here https://www.yamahamusicians.com/ but also wanted to say a few words on the forum.

The main thing and for some insane reason Yamaha didn't mention it in their live feed is you CAN buy the MODX right now! Yes it is in dealers around the world so you can order now and it will be delivered in a couple of days or even next day depending on where you are.

So, is it like Montage? Yes, definitely. I had no trouble finding my way around as I have used Montage before so MODX is very familiar territory for me. The screen is large and bright and easy to navigate.

The keybed on the MODX7 is not the same as on the Montage7 however but you need to always keep the price point in mind. If you have ever played a MOXF then this keybed will feel familiar to you, in fact I think it is the same one. Not a bad thing of course. I always thought the MOXF had the best keybed at it's price point.

The keys in the MODX8 are Yamaha GHS action so "Graded Hammer Standard" I think it means? It is very pleasant to play on, very expressive and again, keep the price point in mind when comparing with Yamaha's more expensive keyboards.

Soundwise I don't think anyone would be dissapointed with the MODX. It sounds excellent and although I am sure there are differences to the Montage I can't say I noticed.

The MODX does come with a full array of CFX piano samples on-board but someone asked about the Bösendorfer Imperial 290 Piano, Chick Corea Rhodes mkV? These are not included as standard but I understand they should be available as a download from Yamaha over the next few days if not already.

The "Super Knob" works in exactly the same way as on Montage and CAN be controlled by the FC7 foot pedal.

Uk Prices are :

MODX6 £1199
MODX7 £1399
MODX8 £1639

Although I have seen lower prices on the guitarguitar.co.uk website. Now whether they are real or were speculative because they were not sure of final pricing I don't know but they list the prices as follows:

MODX6 £1049
MODX7 £1199
MODX8 £1399

IF those prices are correct it that is quite amazing for such a powerful mid-range keyboard like the MODX!

I will have both keyboards here for the next couple of weeks so if anyone has any questions please do let me know.

All in all the MODX is a massive winner for Yamaha and I wish them the best of luck with it...not that they will need much :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
pologuy
United States of America

Re: Yamaha MODX First Impressions

Unread post by pologuy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 pm

This had to be one of the best kept secrets around...

YouTube is now flooded with box openings, demos, sounds, and user reviews of the MODX.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=modx
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, I'm just starting to watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01jyFy3jfJ4

I hadn't heard that there were more, so I'll be sure to check them out as well. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
purcell
Germany

Unread post by purcell » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Germany! Thomann
Available in one week.
For 1199 € !
Just the price I expected for it.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:49 pm

pologuy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 pm
This had to be one of the best kept secrets around...

YouTube is now flooded with box openings, demos, sounds, and user reviews of the MODX.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=modx
Exactly. I was going to do one earlier but a team of tree surgeons turned up opposite to chop up a fallen tree and no matter what I tried I couldn't get past the noise so...will have to wait but of course there are so many videos out there now. I only received the keyboards yesterday so was no chance to prepare something in advance...already have a backlog of guitar videos I am trying to catch up on.

See the usual moaning already. Some people just don't get it. Compare a £1000 keyboard with a £2000 keyboard. Compromises are bound to be there. How can people not see that?

From the short time I have had on the MODX I can say without doubt I would definitely buy one...if I had the money laying about of course ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
EB5AGV
Spain

Unread post by EB5AGV » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Good timing for me!

I was about to get a portable keyboard to complement my only-home-use keyboards (Genos, DGX660, SY77). All these three are too heavy to move around comfortably. So I was looking for a PSR-S670... But this one, on its 76-key version, could be a good option also. Of course, there are some things to consider, as it is a different kind of keyboard and I am still not 100% sure if I want to lose the built-in speakers and styles... but it is tempting to say the least :lol: !!!

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha SY77+SPX990, DGX660, Genos
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:48 pm

EB5AGV wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 pm
Good timing for me!

I was about to get a portable keyboard to complement my only-home-use keyboards (Genos, DGX660, SY77). All these three are too heavy to move around comfortably. So I was looking for a PSR-S670... But this one, on its 76-key version, could be a good option also. Of course, there are some things to consider, as it is a different kind of keyboard and I am still not 100% sure if I want to lose the built-in speakers and styles... but it is tempting to say the least :lol: !!!

Jose
I think it would complement your Genos very well indeed! The interface would be familiar so you are off to a head start there.

The MODX has endless possibilities combining as it does two fantastic synth engines, AWM2 and FM-X. That makes it probably the most powerful mid-range keyboard out there by a mile. Plus of course it is fully compatible with Montage, Motif and DX7 sounds.

Of course it is also incredibly light weight which I know is something important to you. You can easily carry the MODX7 under one arm so no problems moving it around from place to place.

The MODX is in stores worldwide right now so if you can find time to go check one out I think you may be pleasantly surprised :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”