Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
anotherscott

Re: Bösendorfer Imperial Premium Grand Piano FREE download for all MODX owners

Unread post by anotherscott » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Derek wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 am
This is where I think the Kronos is so much smarter with the SSD approach: 3GB of user RAM, but the ability to do sample streaming from SSD...That doesn't stop the Montage/MODX from being a fine synth, but it is interesting to compare approaches and, it does mystify me why Yamaha still insist on designing limitations like this in, when their competitors have had a better way of doing it since 2011 in the Kronos
It's not really "their competitors," it's only Korg, I don't think anyone else makes a board that can do this. Maybe the new Prophext X?

Anyway, the way Korg does this is to base their system on a traditional PC motherboard running linux (meaning that the ability to stream from SSD is already supported in the hardware at the OS level... no need to re-invent that wheel). An obvious downside compared to Yamaha's approach is much longer boot time. Also, it's a non-silent board as it needs a fan. It also puts other cost constraints on their ability to scale the technology down. Maybe that's why, eight years later, there's still no cheaper-than-Kronos model with that same ability, whereas Yamaha was able to pretty rapidly scale their tech down from the Montage to the much lower cost MODX (and that may have been part of their roadmap in designing the Montage from the start). So there are pros and cons to the different approaches.

Here's an interesting article on Yamaha's technology: sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-articulation-future/
A key passage:
People make much of “SSD, SSD, SSD!” SSDs use a SATA bus for communication, a bus that can become a bottleneck in itself. Yamaha have found a way to integrate SSD functionality into the SWP70 without the need for a SATA bus. The integration promises greater speed (i.e., memory bandwidth) without the cost and latency of a SATA bus. This design approach is patented.
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Artie218 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:10 am
I am a Roland VR09 owner and 98% of what I do is about gigging, very tempted by the MODX7 mainly because its simply the first keyboard to feature uncompromised "flagship" sounds and its 16 pounds! The only concern I have is the VR09 has one of the better organ sounds outside of the Nords Hammonds and Kronos, but while I did like the sounds of the modx organ I really found the leslie cheesy at least in videos, and again, being a gigging musician who likes his back and has no roadie, I want it all in one keyboard, has anyone use the minivent with yamaha keyboards
I haven't tried it, but I'm sure a Vent would work wonders on the MODX organ. However, the MODX does not have separate assignable outs. So if you ever want to use your organ sound in a split or layer with another sound, the only way to put the Vent on your organ sound and not on all your other sounds would be to create Performances that use panning to send the organ out one side, and all your other sounds out the other. That should work fine, as long as you're okay with all your non-organ sounds being mono.

An alternate approach is to say, well, I'll use the Vent whenever I'm playing organ by itself, and I'll bypass the Vent and settle for the internal leslie effect whenever I'm playing organ in conjunction with other sounds. Personally, when I tried that on another board, I kept forgetting to switch it out and would end up with a leslie effect on my brass or strings! But this was in a multi-board setup, it's probably easier to keep track if you're only using one board.

That said, in terms of liking your back and having no roadie, adding the 12 lb VR09 to a MODX7 is not so much of a burden, as long as you have a two-tier stand that it very light. The K&M 18880 with the 18881 stacker can do the trick. (I like to turn the stacker backwards.) Having two boards also gives you the ability to still manage to get through a gig if one of your boards fails.

(As an aside, you may have gotten more/quicker response to this if you hadn't posted the question inside a Bosendorfer topic!)
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 pm

anotherscott wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm
Derek wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 am
This is where I think the Kronos is so much smarter with the SSD approach: 3GB of user RAM, but the ability to do sample streaming from SSD...That doesn't stop the Montage/MODX from being a fine synth, but it is interesting to compare approaches and, it does mystify me why Yamaha still insist on designing limitations like this in, when their competitors have had a better way of doing it since 2011 in the Kronos
It's not really "their competitors," it's only Korg, I don't think anyone else makes a board that can do this. Maybe the new Prophext X?

Anyway, the way Korg does this is to base their system on a traditional PC motherboard running linux (meaning that the ability to stream from SSD is already supported in the hardware at the OS level... no need to re-invent that wheel). An obvious downside compared to Yamaha's approach is much longer boot time. Also, it's a non-silent board as it needs a fan. It also puts other cost constraints on their ability to scale the technology down. Maybe that's why, eight years later, there's still no cheaper-than-Kronos model with that same ability, whereas Yamaha was able to pretty rapidly scale their tech down from the Montage to the much lower cost MODX (and that may have been part of their roadmap in designing the Montage from the start). So there are pros and cons to the different approaches.

Here's an interesting article on Yamaha's technology: sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-articulation-future/
A key passage:
People make much of “SSD, SSD, SSD!” SSDs use a SATA bus for communication, a bus that can become a bottleneck in itself. Yamaha have found a way to integrate SSD functionality into the SWP70 without the need for a SATA bus. The integration promises greater speed (i.e., memory bandwidth) without the cost and latency of a SATA bus. This design approach is patented.
Yes, I know the Kronos works, having owned one since 2014 :)

BTW the fan is not an issue, even in the studio when I have been recording vocals (it is mostly silent and only spins at the speed it has to), and you will never hear it on stage!

Boot time is something I went into my purchase of a Kronos wth eyes wide open, having done my research . The smart advice is get a UPS to protect your synths from power issues. a two minute boot time once a day is no issue. The Montage still takes a noticeable anmount of time.

On balance, sonically wise Montage and Kronos are two fine sounding synths. No doubt about that. From a tech perspective I prefer Korg’s approach for samples as being more open ended. You would not know that it is Linux/custom Code under the hood, and i four years I only had two crashes - both in the studio and both probably power glitch related (I do not have the UPS in the studio)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 am

Derek wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 pm
Yes, I know the Kronos works, having owned one since 2014 :)

BTW the fan is not an issue, even in the studio when I have been recording vocals (it is mostly silent and only spins at the speed it has to), and you will never hear it on stage!
They did improve (reduce) the fan noise with the second generation Kronos (presumably benefitting from the new chassis with what I guess are ventilation holes at the top rear). The original Kronos fan could be annoying in a home studio, though I agree, not an issue at a gig.
Derek wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:57 pm
Boot time is something I went into my purchase of a Kronos wth eyes wide open, having done my research . The smart advice is get a UPS to protect your synths from power issues. a two minute boot time once a day is no issue. The Montage still takes a noticeable anmount of time.
I don't know about the Montage, but the MODX is pretty quick. The Kronos 2+ minutes can sometimes be a lot, even with a UPS. Like if you're doing a multi-band gig and you're trying to get your rig up and running in under 10 minutes. Or you're at home and get an idea you want to quickly get down. Hopefully your powered-down Kronos isn't your only board!

I'm not putting the Kronos down, I have one, it's a great board. But now that I have the MODX7, I don't think I'll ever gig with the Kronos 61 again. Though there are things I'll miss, which I'll have to make up for in other ways. And yes, the ability to load almost limitless additional samples is among them. Along with aftertouch and better organ. But I can do most of what I needed it for now in a much lighter board that gives me 76 keys and what I find to be better performance ergonomics.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 am

I have Kronos X 61 (first gen with more RAM and a big X on the back) and the fan is really not an issue (no extra ventilation either) in the studio for me.

I gig with both, and boot time on stage is not an issue. My computers on stage take just as long to set up, and with current rig I can be up and running in 20 mins, the keyboards/computers get turned on as soon as I have power, so are ready when I need them :)

I know what you mean about multi band gigs, and the need to be fast, but I don’t do those. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
anotherscott

Unread post by anotherscott » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Derek wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 am
I have Kronos X 61 (first gen with more RAM and a big X on the back) and the fan is really not an issue (no extra ventilation either) in the studio for me.
I guess either it's a personal thing, or unit-to-unit variation, or some combination, but there were a lot of complaints about fan noise (just google korg kronos fan noise). The point remains, lack of fan is a design advantage for Yamaha, even if it makes no difference to you. Same with the much faster boot.
User avatar Germany
TotoFan

Unread post by TotoFan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:56 pm

I've had both Kronos 73 and 61 - finally had to give up for the weight of those keyboards. Loved the sounds and sample capabilities, and the fan was not a deal breaker - but sometimes I was a bit nervous when playing at festivals and this loading bar during boot seems to move very slowly :-)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 pm

It's a funny thing but that 2 minutes can seem to last an eternity when you are waiting on it. In reality of course a couple of minutes is not really that long but yeah, I can understand it might create a few nervous moments in a gigging situation! :confusion-waiting:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
martyjones6294

Unread post by martyjones6294 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:45 am

I have downloaded the Bosendorfer Imperial and, although it takes up 40% of the user RAM, I think that it is worth it. I had the Epic Grand on my MOXF and, to my ears, it sounds just like the CFX in the MODX - so I didn't see a point in loading it up. also, it takes up 505MB so I save 100MB with the Bose.

For live work I made a performance that layers that CFX, Bosendorfer and upright pianos. With proper balancing, you get the beefy bottom and power of the Bose, the tinkly highs of the CFX and a good midrange from the Upright. While this might not be what you want to use for a classical performance, for Classic Rock like I play it is great - lots of power and it cuts through the mix nicely. Probably the most fun I have had with a synth piano in years.

This is a great bonus for MODX users.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:32 am

I agree completely there marty. I am a big fan of Bosendorfer and having it available in the MODX was an excellent move on the part of Yamaha. Of course they own Bosendorfer so makes a lot of sense to make the Imperial Grand available for Montage and MODX.

I have not tried it with the CFX but might fire it up tomorrow and give it a go :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:07 am

TBH, and after a while using it live and at home - I am not that impressed by it.It is ok for standalone stuff - even the modified's in that bank are not "go-to" APs.. ymmv, and just imo of course!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:11 am

It is definitely subjective as are all sounds. I think the Bosendorfer is great, others don't and then there are others that do. Our ears and the way we perceive sound is different for everyone which of course is why we gravitate to certain types of music and absolutely hate others. That's fine though. For me it is not a "one is better than another" scenario but more a mood thing, what feels right in the moment :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 am

yeah, good point Saul.
User avatar China
fishboya

Unread post by fishboya » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:36 am

Thank you very much ,it's worked:)

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”