Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

The Yamaha MODX Sequencer - Performance Recorder

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:56 am

Yamaha MODX Performance Recorder.JPG
Yamaha MODX Performance Recorder Screen
There seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation about whether the MODX has a sequencer, In fact the same question keeps cropping up about Montage. Many people are under the impression that there is no sequencer in Montage or the MODX but this is not actually true.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that Yamaha don't call it a 'sequencer'. They named it 'Performance Recorder' which I suppose more closely describes what it is but essentially it IS a sequencer.
  • Tracks - 16 Sequence tracks, Tempo track, Scene track
  • Recording type - Real time replace, Real time overdub, Real time punch in/out
  • Note Capacity - Approx. 130,000 notes
  • Note Resolution - 480 ppq (parts per quarter note)
  • Tempo (BPM) - 5 – 300
  • Songs - 128 songs
  • Arpeggio - Parts: 8 Parts simultaneous (max.), Preset: 10,239 types User: 256 types
  • Sequence formats - MODX original format, SMF formats 0, 1
So, as complex as the sequencer on say, the Motif XF? Not quite but of course MODX and MONTAGE are not workstation keyboards and the idea behind the 'Performance Recorder' is for you to make a quick recording of your ideas and then transfer them to a DAW to add the finishing touches.

Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion.

By the way the Performance recorder is extremely easy to use. Just press the record button and it takes you straight into the recorder screen where if you wish you can adjust settings for tempo, quantize etc and then you just hit the Play button to begin recording. Easy!
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
d2ba
New Zealand

Re: The Yamaha MODX Sequencer - Performance Recorder

Unread post by d2ba » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Can i use it to record incoming midi not from the keyboard but from a midi track on my DAW ?
Thanks in advance
EXer
France

Unread post by EXer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Saul wrote:Yamaha don't call it a 'sequencer'. They named it 'Performance Recorder'
They are right to do so.

One can record tracks, and that's it.

One may say it is a "sequencer", but without the ability to do anything else than record and export what has been recorded it's a very crude one.

What CANNOT be done on a Montage which could be done on a MOTIF:
- cannot edit MIDI notes recorded on a track
- cannot edit MIDI events like bank/program change, volume, effect change
- cannot copy/paste data from one track to another
- no pattern mode (Motif users will appreciate!)
- no overview of the 16 tracks to help doing punch in/out recording
- cannot loop bars so that one could record a drum track one instrument at a time
- cannot trigger the start/record by playing a note on the keyboard, which is an issue to sync the beginning of a track
- cannot move recorded notes back or forward
- cannot quantize

(source: http://www.moessieurs.com/sequencer-gen ... ntage.html )
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:01 pm

It has always been a mystery to me why people want to mess around with an on-board sequencer when a computer based DAW is far more powerful, efficient and easier to use. The world has moved on and for the majority, the "simple" sequencer in the MODX and MONTAGE are just fine. Works for me anyway.

Yamaha have never claimed anything for the Montage/MODX sequencer which is why they don't make a big thing out of it in the advertising. These ARE NOT workstation keyboards but some people just don't seem to get it no matter how many times it is said.

For the small minority who do want to have a complex on-board sequencer there are of course plenty of used Motif's out there.

Human's are an odd species. Always find it easier to focus on the negative than the positive. :/:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 pm

I agree. I have never used sequencers on my keyboard, other than on the Kronos to play back some backing tracks for a short lived duo project, where I wanted to travel light. But the tracks were sequenced in Cubase. Sequencing on a keyboard with a 10” touch screen and limited features, or Cubase on a DAW with two 28” monitors? No comparison!

I know people who still prefer to sequence on keyboards compared to a computer as they feel the work flow is more immediate, but I have never found that.

Given that Yamaha own Steinberg and push Cubase AI with their keyboards, it makes sense to limit what is on the Montage to be a performance recorder. That is part of getting the balance right from the perspective that the Montage is a Performance synth and not a Workstation keyboard. It also, I think creates a more clear split between the Montage and the Genos (which I believe has more “arranger” functions).
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 pm

d2ba wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:16 pm
Can i use it to record incoming midi not from the keyboard but from a midi track on my DAW ?
Thanks in advance
Not sure about that but I will try it tomorrow and let you know, unless someone beats me to it of course ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:59 pm

The MODX's "performance recorder" would appear to be somewhat similar to the "song recorder" on the PSR-E models. The PSR-Es' song recorder is even simpler than the MODX's performance recorder, but they are similar as far as allowing you to record individual tracks and requiring you to rerecord an entire track just to change a single note. One might say that it is "crippled" in that respect. And while it might seem that such a "crippled" "sequencer" is of very little use, in practical terms it can be very handy for recording your "musical musings" if you're "fiddling about" on your keyboard, especially when you don't have it connected to a computer, laptop, tablet, or smart phone. Later you could transfer the recording(s) of your "noodlings" to a DAW for more proper editing and mixing. Some players might be skilled enough performers and have a clear enough idea of what they want to record that they might be able to use the onboard "sequencer" to record and finish a song entirely on the instrument without needing to transfer it to a DAW. But in my case I definitely need to transfer my "musical doodles" from my PSR-E to a DAW for extensive changes to correct note timings, incorrect notes, and so forth. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 am

Onboard sequencers DO have their uses . . . certainly as a scratch-pad for trying things out when inspiration takes hold.

Most of my own pieces START out this way. I will (and have) lifted tracks as AUDIO - when they are played well-enough -

and use them in a DAW as-is . . . . however. . . . .

In the search for perfection, the urge to tinker with the midi is overwhelming - and you quickly realise that you can

not only correct notes, but actually re-structure complete phrases if an idea suddenly strikes you . . . .

The Fusions I have CAN DO minute editing of midi - it's just darned difficult to do in the small display.

You lose the CONTEXT of where you are in the Music, by being so CLOSE IN . . . IYSWIM . . . .

(Disappointing to hear that the MODXes can't do this)

Note length changes have to be typed in rather than drawn, which involves making extensive notes of

Measure numbers, Beat numbers and click counts - that you soon lose track of where you are and WHAT you were

trying to do . . . So, DEFINITELY a DAW every time for this.

Obviously, the DAW button on the MOXF and others by Yamaha has addressed this issue to a great extent (Y)

when using Yamaha's Steinberg products.

It most likely CAN be done in such as Reaper (and others) IF one is prepared to brainstorm the setup required.

(Reaper CAN do most things, and is INCREDIBLY customisable). I've not pursued this further (as I'm lazy :wink: ),

but it is probably really the way to go if you want this versatility . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Kal1n_M
Bulgaria

Unread post by Kal1n_M » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:07 am

While we are at the Worstation Synth vs. DAW topic... the lack of DAW remote control in MODX is the most disturbing thing (along with the very, Very, VERY low note capacity on the Performance Recorder, basically half of what MOXF had, but split over 128 songs???).
I asked in the yamahasynth forums and did not receive a straight answer if there are plans to add DAW control in a future firmware update.

So, my questions is, dear Saul, can you do your magic and reach your Yamaha contacts and eventually get some internal info if there are plans to add DAW control in MODX?

Thanks.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 am

My PSR-E models also have very limited internal memory for song recording, but the preferred practice is to convert each internally-recorded song to a MIDI file on a USB flash drive as soon as you're satisfied with it, then delete the internal recording. The only exception is if the song can't be converted to a MIDI file because it uses a feature that the keyboard isn't programmed to convert, such as a "DJ Pattern" or "Groove Pattern."

I imagine you'd want to do the same sort of thing on the MODX-- use its internal memory only as a temporary storage area for recording performances, then save the recordings to a USB flash drive for more permanent storage so you can free up the internal memory.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Kal1n_M wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:07 am
While we are at the Worstation Synth vs. DAW topic... the lack of DAW remote control in MODX is the most disturbing thing (along with the very, Very, VERY low note capacity on the Performance Recorder, basically half of what MOXF had, but split over 128 songs???).
I asked in the yamahasynth forums and did not receive a straight answer if there are plans to add DAW control in a future firmware update.

So, my questions is, dear Saul, can you do your magic and reach your Yamaha contacts and eventually get some internal info if there are plans to add DAW control in MODX?

Thanks.
Certainly it is surprising not to have a DAW button on the MODX but again I think we keep falling into the same thought process and do need to rethink how we look at both Montage and MODX. It cannot be stressed enough, these are "performance synths" designed very much with playing live in mind. So although both these keyboards can be used as a hub in your home studio that is not their unique selling point.

However I certainly cannot see why a dedicated DAW function could not be added to the touch screen so that buyers at least have an option?

I will put it to Yamaha later today and see if we can get some clarification.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 pm

When thinking about keyboards with full blown sequencers on-board, all the models I can think of are "Workstation" type synths and the truth is that the vast majority of people who have bought those keyboards have rarely, if ever, used the on-board sequencer.

Might be interesting to take a poll and see how many of our forum members actually make full use of an on-board sequencer?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:07 pm

I would qualify that question Saul . . . .

I DO use it, but as a scratchpad - to get initial ideas DOWN - but in no way would I consider I use the

Sequencer's facilities "Fully" :wink:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Kal1n_M wrote:

Thanks.
I heard back from Yamaha. Apparently DAW control is now available on Montage through a recent update. I can't confirm that but I am sure Derek will let us know if that is the case.

As for DAW control on the MODX there has been no decision on implementing this feature at the moment so there is no date for when or even if it will happen. My guess is it will happen and Yamaha are just not saying so. No reason for it not to be implemented.

So I guess it's just a matter of wait and see. It is not an important thing for me and not something I look for in a keyboard but I can see it would be important to many.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:58 am

Saul wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:40 pm
Kal1n_M wrote:

Thanks.
I heard back from Yamaha. Apparently DAW control is now available on Montage through a recent update. I can't confirm that but I am sure Derek will let us know if that is the case.
Yes, it is in OS 2.5, although I would never use it as my DAW user interface is in front of my SY99 and AN1x, so I tend to use those keyboards' MIDI coming into Cubase routed to the Kronos and Montage (and my racks or VSTis) when I am recording. I.e. I am not normally sitting in front of Montage when recording

And If I want additional DAW control, then I have the Steinberg remote app on my iPAD
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”