MODX8 - 3 keys making a clacking sound

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Fleer

Re: MODX8 - 3 keys making a clacking sound

Unread post by Fleer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 pm

Someone wrote it’s caused by a piece of bent plastic.
User avatar Italy
Mikper

Unread post by Mikper » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:08 am

after 15 days I had 4 keys problems. I have replaced the keyboard lock in warranty. after a month the problem has returned to the same number of keys. I am desperate
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Hi Mikper, welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear that you are also having the noisy keys problem. This seems to be an issue with the GHS keybed itself and not just the MODX. There is something about the way they are constructed which is leading to this problem and we are not entirely sure what it is. Some have said it is a bending of plastic and others have said it is a lack of lubricant...it comes off some parts after a short time.

I am going to see if I can get some sort of statement from Yamaha about it but in the meantime if it were me and especially if I relied on my MODX for paying gigs I think I would go for a refund and buy something else...for now, until I could be guaranteed there were no more noisy key issues.

MODX is a fantastic keyboard but if you can't rely on it then there is little point in continuing with it?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Fleer

Unread post by Fleer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 am

Thanks, Saul, would be great if you could get a statement from Yamaha. Here’s hoping they’ll improve MODX keybeds. Meanwhile I got myself a Vox Continental.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:01 am

I reckon it's a lack of "cushioning" - it's the low end keybed, ergo cheap construction and less materials used perhaps?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:01 am

Fleer wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 am
Thanks, Saul, would be great if you could get a statement from Yamaha. Here’s hoping they’ll improve MODX keybeds. Meanwhile I got myself a Vox Continental.
Very nice keyboard the Vox :) :clap:

Can't get a straight answer from Yamaha about the keys but I sort of expected that? Companies rarely like to admit there is a problem, especially if it would involve an expensive recall!

I think...reading between the lines, this is not a widespread problem or at least not big enough to do anything other than deal with it on a case by case basis. Yamaha will definitely sort out the issue for anyone that experiences it but I think we would all rather they nail it at the production level so it doesn't occur in the first place? It is after all putting off some from buying the MODX and I would say that is a major concern!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:07 am

pax-eterna wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:01 am
I reckon it's a lack of "cushioning" - it's the low end keybed, ergo cheap construction and less materials used perhaps?
You could well be right but If I were Yamaha I would definitely not be cutting corners on what is arguably the most important part of any keyboard...the actual keys! It is like putting really cheap strings on a high end acoustic guitar. It completely colours your perception of the instrument.

We know compromises have to be made to bring in a keyboard like the MODX at the price it sits at but personally I would rather pay a little more and get something with better keys. The jump in price to Montage quality is just to big for most so that leaves them looking at other brands and that is quite sad because in most other respects the MODX is a fantastic keyboard!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Fleer

Unread post by Fleer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:10 am

Well said, Saul.
pologuy

Unread post by pologuy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Wouldn't it be "relatively easy" to just open the MODX8 and put a 1/8"- 1/4" neoprene sheet under the keybed...?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 pm

pologuy wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 pm
Wouldn't it be "relatively easy" to just open the MODX8 and put a 1/8"- 1/4" neoprene sheet under the keybed...?
Why should you need to do that? Your paying for a fully working and hopefully high quality keyboard.

I could certainly understand doing a mod like that outside of warranty but I definitely would not expect clanky keys on ANY Yamaha keyboard after just a few months and I certainly would not be opening it up to fix a problem that should never be there in the first place.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Kurzweil

Unread post by Kurzweil » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I haven't bought a new keyboard since back in the days of the Roland RS-9 and before that the Kurzweil K1000 (the first "everyman" Kurzweil). I had a (used) Yamaha S-90 with the PLG150-DX board in it for FM sounds. When Guitar Center showed me the new MODX-8 I saw an opportunity to replace my heavy S-90 and finally be able to retain those wonderful FM brass sounds. I used to use this in church and for some reason, my most effective brass sounds, from Roland, Kawai and the Yamaha DX-7, were all highly synthetic. The realistic sounds, and plenty have been available for over two decades, simply did not work as well for worship music. For me.

Got myself distracted there. Anyway, I just sold a Casio PX-330, the Yamaha described above, and a Numa 2 clonewheel organ, all purchased used. Got enough to almost pay for the new MODX-8. And then I start reading you characters talking about a failing keybed right out of the box! I tend to keep stuff a long long time making the warrantee useless if it is a continually recurring problem. But I would not mind adding a felt strip if that is all that is required. I replaced the key contact strip on a Yamaha PF-85 (from the early nineties - not to be confused with the far more recent P-85) and this should be no more difficult. I'd do so as soon as the warrantee expired which, let's face it, is really really quick.

But THAT's not enough! Now I hear other characters telling me that the piano sample is not compatible with the velocity scaling of the keybed. How did that even happen??? Graded hammers have been "the thing" for at least a decade now (My S-90 did not have it and I don't think that my newer Kurzweil PC3x does either). But I thought that nothing but scaled hammer actions were being built today. Even Casio does it and I mean no disrespect to Casio with the word "even" - they have more bang for the buck then I've seen in decades and had the first 25 lb weighted action - I've owned one ever since for my piano-only (jazz) work.

Distracted myself again. Yamaha has had the "go-to" piano-synth for worship ever since the original Motif. I won't go into the foolishness of a church buying a powerful top-of-the-line flagship synth and using it as a simple digital piano plus pad in probably 90 percent of cases. Surely few, if any, have used the sampler or the sequencer. Anyway, Yamaha now summarily DROPs the scaled action on the current flagship in favor of balanced and then exports the now unscaled piano sample to their low-end scaled keybeds? I was trying to be cute with the term "characters" as all of you are knowledgeable and impressively COURTEOUS on this forum. I love reading disagreements, albeit few here, that never stray into rudeness or disrespect. Now the people that came up with this scaling idea are another group. What were they thinking? And how big of a deal would it have been to rescale the sample for the GHS keybed? On most any Kurzweil this is a trivial thing. Scaling has its own parameter and you can plug in different numbers for scaling from whatever note to whatever note until you get it perfect. Even I might manage it but Yamaha apparently has no such parameter. You must do it by breaking the sample into zones and scale the entire zone with a velocity offset or similar, which is bound to cause audible breaks. Please correct me (courteously - as always, of course) if I am totally screwed up on that last bit. Or ANY bit, for that matter. I can take it. I used to be married.

In short, I now have a pocketful of money with no place for it to go. I've even considered buying a used Montage 7 (the MODX-7 also has keybed detractors - flimsy feeling undersized keys poorly spaced). I am too old to hump the Montage 8 and it's too expensive for the amount of use I would give it. With a 76 note synth action, I would then wait for the (Casio) PX-5S replacement to trigger its' piano type sounds. Or even use the Casio sounds - they are highly spoken of and I certainly liked the PX-330. And the 310 before it and the 100 before THAT. This is the reverse of how I used the S-90. Had a controller doing the solo sounds with the Yamaha doing piano, bass, and strings. The four Casio PX-5S MIDI zones should work perfectly for that requirement. For now, I will use the Kurzweil and give Yamaha a year to deal with this issue. Thanks for reading and I am glad to have found this forum. I like that you guys talk about more than one brand. Casio, Kurzweil, and Roland have all been specifically recommended by you guys as a workaround for the GHS problem(s) both of them.

I apologize for the Avatar. I successfully deleted the default and then was unable to upload a new one, even though i reduced it to no more than 250 pixels on a side. Imagine a keyboard stack for now.
Last edited by Kurzweil on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 pm

That was an incredibly interesting read there Kurzweil :) As you will no doubt have noticed, we nearly always go off at a tangent in discussions on this forum but I have always felt that it is a very natural way of discussing things and more closely aligned with the way natural conversation develops?

Anyway, back to the MODX and it's clanky keys, something I have not experienced myself I am happy to say, but of course there are plenty of people here on the forum who have come across the issue. It seems not to be confined to the MODX per se but rather the GHS keybed that is used in several Yamaha synths and digital pianos.

Were I a gigging keyboard player I am not sure I would risk putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I would probably still buy the MODX but have another master keyboard attached to it. That combo of AWM2 and FM-X is hard to pass up at the price :)

However I must admit I do prefer the pianos in the Casio PX-S1000 and S-3000 and the keys certainly feel of a higher quality. As I only play at home I could easily just use the PX-S1000 and a bunch of soft synths to supplement it's limited on-board sounds.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar France
iPractise

Unread post by iPractise » Tue May 07, 2019 11:08 am

Has the reason behind this been found?
Is it due to lack of lubricant or dislocation of felt?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am

iPractise wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:08 am
Has the reason behind this been found?
Is it due to lack of lubricant or dislocation of felt?
Good question, to which no one seems to have a definitive answer. Some say lack of lubricant, others that it is broken plastic parts...but then it would not magically rectify itself as has been the case for some. Yamaha are definitely not saying anything.

My guess, and it is only a guess is that it is either lubricant or cushioning that is the source of "most" of the complaints but there has been broken parts in some cases.

Right now I would still buy a MODX but if I were gigging regularly I would not make it my only board!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”