Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Fleer

Re: Yamaha MODX Wishlist - Suggestions For Future Updates

Unread post by Fleer » Tue May 07, 2019 3:21 am

Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm
Just wanted to add that the guys at Yamaha have been wading through this thread so please don't feel like your suggestions are falling on deaf ears. I know they probably cannot implement everything people want or at least not all in one update but we should see a few of these suggestions appearing in the next update.

So well done to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far ((i)) ((i)) ((i))
Great news, Saul !
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci » Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am

Hi all. I don' know if the topic was already be reported, but i would like very much to watch a transpose light shining when transpose is active. Actually the light shines only when pressing transposing is active and SHIFT is pressed.
Sincerely.
D
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm VERY tempted to get a MODX 7 ... but ...

From all the sound clips and videos I've heard, the ever going reverb all over the place turns me off :cry:

Really, really hope for an upcoming OS update, they tame the reverb for all performances. So, if we'd like more, then we turn the reverb way up. But the amount of reverb coming from the factory is just insane

Also, I'd love a more natural guitar and piano library. The current guitars (specially acoustics) of course have way too much reverb (as I've been stated) but also sounds too compressed. And the piano library, being from Yamaha (!) it's ironically really limited in terms of acoustics pianos. Many of them are mixed up with the FM, which is not always a good sing

Finally, more Mellotron sounds, and of course, CS 80

As for the OS itself, SSS transitions for performances up to 8 parts. Or at least 6. And ALL performances with SSS ready.

Thank you!

:D
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 pm

Some things setting by default that I'd love the Super Knob do

1- Acoustic pianos: Open or close the lid
2- Acoustic guitar and individual string sounds: to play more sul tasto or sul ponticello
3- Electric guitars and basses: changing pickups from neck to bridge

Also, overall a cleaner clean guitars (both acoustic and electric). Many of them sounds with too much effects already.
See the new Nord guitar library to give you an idea

:D
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm

You don't need to have reverb on everything and indeed as far as I can tell Yamaha tend not to overdo the effects on presets. They leave it to the end user to decide what effects to use.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sat May 25, 2019 1:53 am

But what I'm hearing is a lot of reverb on all factory presets :cry:

I can't post youtube clips, but a quick search "Yamaha MODX piano, Yamaha MODX acoustic guitar", and so on
:(
User avatar Great Britain
mick_n

Unread post by mick_n » Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm
.......far as I can tell Yamaha tend not to overdo the effects on presets. They leave it to the end user to decide what effects to use.
That's what I have found ......most ,if not all of the presets I have played,tend to have effect's used sparingly.
EX5, W7, MU100R, Motif 6 classic, roland SC33, Motif rack ES, Akai MPK88,Casio PX5S, MOXF 6, MODX 8,
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat May 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Eduardo Rojas wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:53 am
But what I'm hearing is a lot of reverb on all factory presets :cry:

I can't post youtube clips, but a quick search "Yamaha MODX piano, Yamaha MODX acoustic guitar", and so on
:(
If you are hearing a lot of reverb this is because it has been applied by the user not Yamaha.

Actually it is one of the complaints I see the most, that Yamaha's pianos etc sound flat and lifeless. But this is because they do not apply effects out of the box. Yamaha feel it is important to go YOU the tools to contour the sounds to your own liking and not simply apply the sound designers preferences.

CASIO are another company that follow that ethos. On the new PX-S1000 for example the acoustic pianos do not have reverb applied as standard. They leave it for you to decide if you want effects or not.

I think this is a better way to do things because you get to hear the sample or modelling exactly as it is and not hidden behind effects.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”