Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Fleer

Re: Yamaha MODX Wishlist - Suggestions For Future Updates

Unread post by Fleer » Tue May 07, 2019 3:21 am

Saul wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:04 pm
Just wanted to add that the guys at Yamaha have been wading through this thread so please don't feel like your suggestions are falling on deaf ears. I know they probably cannot implement everything people want or at least not all in one update but we should see a few of these suggestions appearing in the next update.

So well done to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far ((i)) ((i)) ((i))
Great news, Saul !
User avatar Italy
dfinucci

Unread post by dfinucci » Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am

Hi all. I don' know if the topic was already be reported, but i would like very much to watch a transpose light shining when transpose is active. Actually the light shines only when pressing transposing is active and SHIFT is pressed.
Sincerely.
D
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm VERY tempted to get a MODX 7 ... but ...

From all the sound clips and videos I've heard, the ever going reverb all over the place turns me off :cry:

Really, really hope for an upcoming OS update, they tame the reverb for all performances. So, if we'd like more, then we turn the reverb way up. But the amount of reverb coming from the factory is just insane

Also, I'd love a more natural guitar and piano library. The current guitars (specially acoustics) of course have way too much reverb (as I've been stated) but also sounds too compressed. And the piano library, being from Yamaha (!) it's ironically really limited in terms of acoustics pianos. Many of them are mixed up with the FM, which is not always a good sing

Finally, more Mellotron sounds, and of course, CS 80

As for the OS itself, SSS transitions for performances up to 8 parts. Or at least 6. And ALL performances with SSS ready.

Thank you!

:D
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 pm

Some things setting by default that I'd love the Super Knob do

1- Acoustic pianos: Open or close the lid
2- Acoustic guitar and individual string sounds: to play more sul tasto or sul ponticello
3- Electric guitars and basses: changing pickups from neck to bridge

Also, overall a cleaner clean guitars (both acoustic and electric). Many of them sounds with too much effects already.
See the new Nord guitar library to give you an idea

:D
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm

You don't need to have reverb on everything and indeed as far as I can tell Yamaha tend not to overdo the effects on presets. They leave it to the end user to decide what effects to use.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Sat May 25, 2019 1:53 am

But what I'm hearing is a lot of reverb on all factory presets :cry:

I can't post youtube clips, but a quick search "Yamaha MODX piano, Yamaha MODX acoustic guitar", and so on
:(
User avatar Great Britain
mick_n

Unread post by mick_n » Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm
.......far as I can tell Yamaha tend not to overdo the effects on presets. They leave it to the end user to decide what effects to use.
That's what I have found ......most ,if not all of the presets I have played,tend to have effect's used sparingly.
EX5, W7, MU100R, Motif 6 classic, roland SC33, Motif rack ES, Akai MPK88,Casio PX5S, MOXF 6, MODX 8,
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat May 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Eduardo Rojas wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:53 am
But what I'm hearing is a lot of reverb on all factory presets :cry:

I can't post youtube clips, but a quick search "Yamaha MODX piano, Yamaha MODX acoustic guitar", and so on
:(
If you are hearing a lot of reverb this is because it has been applied by the user not Yamaha.

Actually it is one of the complaints I see the most, that Yamaha's pianos etc sound flat and lifeless. But this is because they do not apply effects out of the box. Yamaha feel it is important to go YOU the tools to contour the sounds to your own liking and not simply apply the sound designers preferences.

CASIO are another company that follow that ethos. On the new PX-S1000 for example the acoustic pianos do not have reverb applied as standard. They leave it for you to decide if you want effects or not.

I think this is a better way to do things because you get to hear the sample or modelling exactly as it is and not hidden behind effects.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Mon May 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Eduardo Rojas wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 pm
I'm VERY tempted to get a MODX 7 ... but ...

From all the sound clips and videos I've heard, the ever going reverb all over the place turns me off :cry:

Really, really hope for an upcoming OS update, they tame the reverb for all performances.
Most likely we will not see the preset performances change much regarding reverb and effects on an upcoming OS update. They are however quite easy to turn down or off on all instruments. Many times the SuperKnob is configured to shut down the effects as you turn it to the left; however if it is not, it is quite easy to modify the performances, reduce/remove effects and save as your own new Performance.
User avatar Chile
Eduardo Rojas

Unread post by Eduardo Rojas » Wed May 29, 2019 12:53 am

Inspired by this thread :D

viewtopic.php?f=186&t=13531&p=79349#p79349

The mic and guitar input running independient from the performance selected. So you can have them with FX and all while changing performances.
That would be extremely useful and powerful in a live situation

((i))
iixorbiusii

Unread post by iixorbiusii » Thu May 30, 2019 9:47 am

Direct import of DX7 sysex banks (instead of having to convert) would be great. Sorry if this was already mentioned.
User avatar Russia
Dima

Unread post by Dima » Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 pm

1. If you're going to Overwrite one perfomance to another there should be double notification. You should see exect what's happening- which perfomance is doubling, which is going to die. Usually nobody want to Overwrite the perfomance untill get full memory. So this move should be well noticed.
2. There is 16 chanels or 8?
If you saying there is 16 chanels, they All should work with this keys, not with midi...it is 100% Lying in Commercial and manuals(All manuals are keeping silence about 8 chanels). Fix it, or maybe you goona spend some time with lawyers around the world.
3. Give us more memory- 60gb should be good))
4. Allow to change polarity of sustain pedal.
Last edited by Dima on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Australia
Datavalue

Unread post by Datavalue » Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 pm

I would like the wheel to scroll through live sets - preferably across all pages. I currently have to use the arrow keys and the wheel does nothing.
iixorbiusii

Unread post by iixorbiusii » Fri May 31, 2019 11:08 am

As I'm generally very familiar with 6-op and 4-op FM synthesis of old, I think a nice touch would be to have the option to 'dumb down' the FM-X engine to match that of the original 80's DX synthesizers - so limiting the available algorithms to 32 / 8 for the 6 and 4 op synths, etc. This could be called something like 'DX Mode'.

Clearly there is a certain 'nod' to the DX7mk1 green / blue membrane buttons in many of the MODX menus. Having the original 32 DX7 buttons, and their respective EDIT and FUNCTION operations virtualized on the touch screen could be fun ! They could even add a virtual 16x2 dot matrix LCD for authenticity :-)
User avatar Great Britain
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:19 pm

A few more requests come to mind:

1) The ability to disable MS for a given pattern, in the same way that a part can have arp set to no value for a given arp number. Example: say I have two parts both using MS in different scenes - part A uses it in scene 1 and part B uses is in scene 2. Ideally I would have an empty MS sequence for part B in scene 1, and for part A in scene 2. As it is, you can't specify "no pattern". You have to specify one, one that acts as though it's not having any effect.

2) The ability to clone an element/operator to another one. It's currently tedious trying to replicate, say, element 1 to element 2, manually setting all of its params to be the same as element 1.

3) A way to quickly zero any param. I still can't believe there isn't a way to do this, for a machine so live-oriented. Live, it's tricky to accurately turn a control back to exactly 0 in the heat of the moment - at least in the studio you can punch in the number manually via the numpad.

4) A way to reassign the default keys associated with a drum part. If you decide to use a different snare than the one that's assigned by default to the snare drum element of a given kit, there's no way to control the snare via the slider. See my separate post on this - this really needs fixing.

5) Quantized scene changes. Currently you can quantize arp starts/changes, but scenes always change the instant you press a scene button, from what I can see. This has the annoying side effect of retriggering aros sometimes, if the same arp is active on both scenes and you change scene before the arp completes its sequence.

6) Polyrhythms - the ability to create user arps of arbitrary length rather than, as currently, anchored to a measure. So you can't (as far as I know) make a user arp that is 7 beats long - it's always saved in measure, so the nearest would be 8 beats.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”