Yamaha MODX Wishlist - Suggestions For Future Updates

Covers the Yamaha MODX6, MODX7 and MODX8

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Re: Yamaha MODX Wishlist - Suggestions For Future Updates

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Montage has had 5 OS updates - MODX 1 and even that was mostly bug fixes....I tell you folks, as this is the cheap unit, Yamaha will not expend much in the way of time or money on pretty much any of these "wishes". No matter what "roadmaps" are given.

It is in their (Yamahas) interest to have people "believing" there will be ongoing updates as this certainly helps drive further sales of all the hardware units they have stockpiled. But "giving away" new features to a base model unit? Nah, it ain't gonna happen imo. Well, nothing substantial at any rate.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm

pax-eterna wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm
Montage has had 5 OS updates - MODX 1 and even that was mostly bug fixes....I tell you folks, as this is the cheap unit, Yamaha will not expend much in the way of time or money on pretty much any of these "wishes". No matter what "roadmaps" are given.
It is in their (Yamahas) interest to have people "believing" there will be ongoing updates as this certainly helps drive further sales of all the hardware units they have stockpiled. But "giving away" new features to a base model unit? Nah, it ain't gonna happen imo. Well, nothing substantial at any rate.
Saul seems to know the roadmap for the MODX and it involves software update based enhancements (more so than hardware changes)...
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11830&start=30#p70886

I think it's in Yamaha's best interest to add features via software instead of coming out with new hardware replacements that cost more to design, engineer and also the software still needs to be reprogrammed for the new models anyway...I bet they are planning on having the MODX around as is(hardware wise) for a long time and providing enhancements via software updates to keep costs down and save money...

I also think they will likely start providing the updates to both the MODX and Montage around the same time so that both will get the newly enhanced features. The downside to this approach could be that with every new feature, they could introduce bugs that need to be fixed. Although, maybe the reason they are taking so long for updates to the MODX is because they are adding new features based on our suggestions, but they want to thoroughly test and perfect the software revision to avoid any potential new bugs in the software, so that they keep the product solid, instead of troubleshooting bugs after a new revision is released, which will ultimately annoy and potentially turn off MODX owners...and they can spend that time on new additional enhancements in the future while customers remain happy..!?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 pm

The MODX isn't exactly a base model and It is a big earner for Yamaha. It is outselling Montage by quite a substantial margin at the moment and its not hard to see why.

Yamaha are committed to updates for the MODX but keep in mind that it has only been on the market since the end of September and they have put out one firmware update already.

Sure there are a lot of things people would like to see on this keyboard but this is NOT a Montage for a £1000. Premium features are for the premium product. They may eventually filter down but certainly not straight away. No company is going to deliberately damage sales of their flagship keyboard by porting all it's features to the mid range.

MODX is a lot of keyboard for the price but if people don't think it has the features they need then the solution is to just buy something else that has? That is what I would do. Right now though MODX does everything I could want it to do so I have no complaints :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 pm
........... but if people don't think it has the features they need then the solution is to just buy something else that has? ..........
Yep!! Although I did think it was released earlier than that, so my bad on that score.
Last edited by pax-eterna on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm

vertig0spin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm
...............I think it's in Yamaha's best interest to add features via software instead of coming out with new hardware replacements that cost more to design, engineer and also the software still needs to be reprogrammed for the new models anyway....
Ya think? Why don't you check how Yamaha market the Tyros and other arranger series! That is EXACTLY how they do it. Provide bug fixes mostly, but new features, operations etc etc usually only come with updated hardware versions.

They've been making a motza for years from the arranger/s series.

No real design changes or major software re-design needed...swap out a few processors even a main board change, but all still physically fitting the same hardware. No, it doesn't seem to me to be that big a deal to "upscale", especially with the resources Yamaha can call on.

The MOX MOXF, S90 S70xs , all "cheaper" models, never got the updates that the "premier" motif line got. I am just basing a view on what has happened in the past. As I wrote above it IS in their best interest to keep the "update" bubble floating. Otherwise people just hang off a purchase in case...and of course that then means no immediate sales and possibly even a sale loss to a rival company. Whereas if folk think there will be plenty of updates (free) then they'll buy now with that thought in mind. Sure, NOT the primary reason for purchase, but a contributing factor nonetheless.

Maybe I am just being cynical, but you don't get to Yamaha's position by being actually caring about customers all that much...it's a business not a benevolent society ;)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm

The MODX was launched on Friday 12th Sept so has been available just over two months. May seem longer but there it is. I am sure another firmware update is on the way ;)

Montage, Genos and MODX are different from the Motif and Tyros series. This is very different approach for Yamaha. There won't be any new hardware for quite some time to come as a lot of features can be added via software. This is the whole point of going down this path. It essentially means Yamaha can keep these keyboards current for a very long time.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!
User avatar Australia
pax-eterna

Unread post by pax-eterna » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Saul wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm
The MODX was launched on Friday 12th Sept so has been available just over two months. May seem longer but there it is. I am sure another firmware update is on the way ;)

Montage, Genos and MODX are different from the Motif and Tyros series. This is very different approach for Yamaha. There won't be any new hardware for quite some time to come as a lot of features can be added via software. This is the whole point of going down this path. It essentially means Yamaha can keep these keyboards current for a very long time.
hmmm, yeah well we'll see. re release date, yeah I thought it had been out for longer, but there ya go!
User avatar Australia
deano7000

Unread post by deano7000 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:40 am

pax-eterna wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
vertig0spin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm
...............I think it's in Yamaha's best interest to add features via software instead of coming out with new hardware replacements that cost more to design, engineer and also the software still needs to be reprogrammed for the new models anyway....
Ya think? Why don't you check how Yamaha market the Tyros and other arranger series! That is EXACTLY how they do it. Provide bug fixes mostly, but new features, operations etc etc usually only come with updated hardware versions.
Maybe I am just being cynical, but you don't get to Yamaha's position by being actually caring about customers all that much...it's a business not a benevolent society ;)
I think you're right about it being a business, but there's good economic sense in firmware updates. I know from other industries (I'm thinking the digital camera industry in particular) that there's an emerging trend of building a hardware platform then continuing to release firmware updates.

Some manufacturers are finding that periodically releasing firmware updates significantly boosts sales of their hardware, and gives a platform a longer lifetime. In Fujifilm's case this lets them squeeze 5 years or more out of a hardware platform. It doesn't necessarily stop them releasing new hardware, but at each new hardware release, the older product is still available, but just moves to a lower price point. Clearly nothing lasts forever, but if the manufacturers can squeeze more life out of a hardware platform they'll do it.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 am

This way of doing things improves sales and customer engagement. For one thing the customer no longer needs to worry about a new keyboard being released just after they have bought the old one.

Keep the same platform and provide the improvements via software updates and you instil confidence in potential customers and of course keep existing ones happy :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:23 am

pax-eterna wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
They've been making a motza for years from the arranger/s series.
No real design changes or major software re-design needed...swap out a few processors even a main board change, but all still physically fitting the same hardware. No, it doesn't seem to me to be that big a deal to "upscale", especially with the resources Yamaha can call on.

The MOX MOXF, S90 S70xs , all "cheaper" models, never got the updates that the "premier" motif line got. I am just basing a view on what has happened in the past. As I wrote above it IS in their best interest to keep the "update" bubble floating.
I totally hear what you are saying and I have the same questioning in my head about yamaha's intentions because they are a corporation that has a bottom line of making profit!!!!! At the same time, Korg also want to profit as well, so I think they keep each other relatively in check, and competition is in play. I've watched this video several times and am sold on the Kronos, but I also see that the Montage/MODX have the potential to do the same, and since I already know FM programming, AWM2 seems to be reasonable to learn:

I am thinking in terms of Yamaha's bottom line...PROFIT. And revising software would be a much more profitable model than turning out new hardware. I'd give the MODX a few more months, maybe a year and then see how far they have come in terms of adding new features and not just bug fixes...

I haven't bought anything yet, so everything is still on the table for me. The Kronos and even Krome are still options, but the Montage and MODX are options as well, and I am weighing them carefully...

I am getting an 8 series / 88 keys. So if Yamaha want my business, they better come out with some kind of 'Velocity Scaling' enhancement or something, or I will NOT be purchasing their MODX8.

Additionally, it is all about the available pianos sounds for me at this point. Kronos has or can import almost any awesome VST piano plugin & thus have anything I want as an option; so Yamaha better offer competing libraries. The one that I am most interested in is Synthogy's C7 Grand. So I'll continue to spread the word as much as I can...if you'd like to see this particular piano available on the MODX/Montage synths, then please feel free to contact Synthogy to 'suggest' it as a desired option: support@synthogy.com

Just listen to these 2 songs with Synthogy's Yamaha C7 Grand(unlike any other C7), and decide if you'd like to contact Synthogy with interest in their C7 product for the MODX/Montage...!? (support@synthogy.com)
https://soundcloud.com/synthogy/odyssey
https://soundcloud.com/synthogy/pursuit-i2
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:22 am

The MODX will suit some and not others. It will improve over time but you have to buy what is best for YOU and if that means buying KORG or Roland or another brand then do that but also remember to come back and let us know how you get on with it. Musicians first, brand second ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:29 pm

pax-eterna wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm afraid that I don't agree, although only time will tell

By basing the MODX on the same platform/OS as the Montage, then both are going to benefit.

In effect, the MODX has already benefit from the OS Updates made to the Montage.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:55 pm

*Note: Yamaha via 'Ideascale' are planning to connect with people the last week of November! Here is part of what they sent in an automated email for those who don't receive the Ideascale notifications:

"The Model Producer for Montage will be coming to Southern California the last week in November to do some direct product and market research. There is an opportunity to either do a virtual hangout or for us to come visit in person (if in the the greater LA area), on a first come first serve basis. Please see the brief survey below for more information. Thank you for your time and interest.

Respectfully,
R&D Planning Manager"

I agree with Saul in that it's better to put forth your wishlist wants/ideas in both this forum as well as on Ideascale, as they are likely different departments within Yamaha and don't necessarily know about or share all ideas with each other that we submit!

Here is the link to Yamaha Ideascale: https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/

Below are 2 links to Ideas that I submitted on Ideascale. Now is the time to help 'vote up' each others' ideas! ... So if you think these ideas are good and are things that you would like to see in a future software update for the MODX, then please help vote them up, thanks! I will also gladly vote up any of your ideas on Ideascale that you may have submitted and would like to see on the MODX! (...I think you need to first login with an account to gain access...):

1. "Velocity Scaling and/or BHE Velocity Simulate setting for MODX8" (To make piano velocity triggering the same/balanced as it is on the Montage...!)
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... 4570-45978

2. "Montage/MODX 'Punch In/Out' on Single/Selected Tracks"
https://yamahasynth.ideascale.com/a/dtd ... b-comments

Last edited by vertig0spin on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Canada
vertig0spin

Unread post by vertig0spin » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Saul wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:22 am
The MODX will suit some and not others. It will improve over time but you have to buy what is best for YOU and if that means buying KORG or Roland or another brand then do that but also remember to come back and let us know how you get on with it. Musicians first, brand second ;)
Right now I am still researching the various options as I am still 'saving up' to purchase the new keyboard ... So I haven't ruled anything out at this point. If I did have the money now and had to decide, that would be a different situation. I do like both the Yamaha and Korg options; however there are few things about the Yamaha that really appeal to me, that are keeping my interest, as I continue to research, stay involved and hope to find a way to make the MODX8 work for me when playing piano performances. My wishlist idea of adding "Velocity Scaling" would make all the difference for the MODX8, and since it is a software change that would likely be relatively easy to program, I think that Yamaha should seriously consider adding this to the top of their list of New Features. Not just of the MODX8, but velocity scaling could be used on the Montage and MODX6/7 for other reasons, as someone might want to use it on a particular sound and want the samples to scale in certain areas for various reasons!
User avatar Canada
Greg2399

Unread post by Greg2399 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:15 pm

I’m considering purchasing a MODX and after watching a couple of videos I tried one out in a store the other day. I have not read the manual and I primarily play Nord’s and DAW’s, and I realize that a system this powerful requires a learning curve. However I think I can offer some suggestions to make the system more intuitive and user-friendly for the first-time user.

First off, how about an “undo” function? If there is one, it wasn’t in a clear enough spot. The amount of times I accidentally hit the wrong thing on the touch screen and just wanted to go back to where I was instantly rather than spending 60 valuable seconds deleting parts and navigating pages to get back to where I was. I’m sure once I got used to it these things would be more rare, but an undo function would be so handy.

Second, I couldn’t figure out how to get the control assign button to work. Just pushing that button should at least bring up a page no matter what mode it’s in. Or, press and hold it and then move the fader or knob that you want to assign something to to bring up a page to assign things to that control (kinda like Nord’s morph functions). It should be that simple. Again, I’m sure some time with the manual would help but there’s something to be said for having a UI that is immediately intuitive.

Return to “Yamaha MODX Forum”